Sony has acquired Resogun and Returnal developer Housemarque

unttltl.png

While we might be more familiar with Microsoft making game studio acquisitions as of late, that doesn't mean Sony hasn't been doing some developer shopping of its own. A new addition to the PlayStation family has been made, as Housemarque has been purchased by Sony. They've worked with Sony Computer Entertainment multiple times in the past, creating games like Super Stardust HD, Resogun, Matterfall, and most recently, Returnal--each of which has been exclusive to PlayStation platforms.

Today is a big day for Housemarque and it has been over 26 years in the making. Our strong partnership with Sony Interactive Entertainment started with Super Stardust HD on PS3 and since then we have made arcade inspired games for all of the PlayStation platforms. With Returnal for PS5, our most recent release, our biggest foray into third-person action gaming solidified our voice and brand in the industry as delivering unique and quality player experiences.

We are so excited to finally join the PlayStation Studios family! This gives our studio a clear future and a stable opportunity to continue delivering on gameplay centric approaches, while still experimenting with new methods of narrative delivery and pushing the boundaries of this modern artform. Locally here in Helsinki, this also means that we will officially expand the PlayStation family to a growing industry hub and secure the legacy of the oldest game studio in Finland.

Finally, what this means for our fans? We at Housemarque are gamers, and we have grown from the need to perfect and tinker with facets of games that we have found most fascinating. We are also not known for shying away from running our own course and trying out new combinations. With the backing of SIE and its family of studios supporting us, we can truly grow into our place in the industry and show what Housemarque can create with no limitations. We can’t wait to show everyone what will be in store in the upcoming years, and we hope to usher in more lasting memories and exhilarating titles for the next quarter century and beyond.

In regards to the buyout, Housemarque's co-founder expressed excitement at being a part of PlayStation Studios, and that the developers will, with the funding and backing of Sony, be free from limitations that have held them back in the past.

Curiously, Bluepoint Games, a developer who has also worked together with Sony for remasters of popular series like Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection, Demon's Souls, Gravity Rush Remastered, and the Shadow of the Colossus remaster was dragged into the situation. When announcing the Housemarque acquisition, Sony Japan posted a Tweet that instead welcomed Bluepoint Games to the Sony family. The mistake hasn't yet been clarified by Sony, and was deleted shortly after being made.

:arrow: Source

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why is Sony buying companies that already do 95% of their work on Sony platforms? That just seems like a waste of money.

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of their library was Playstation exclusive anyway. Nex Machina was the last multiplat of they did at all, and while it wasn't a bad game, I never thought as highly of it as I did Resogun or Super Stardust HD. So I guess basically this changes nothing?

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Tbh, as it stands, I trust more Microsoft than Sony when it comes to buying studios.
Hopefully Sony will keep their hands out of the development.

Ralkila

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tbh, as it stands, I trust more Microsoft than Sony when it comes to buying studios.
Hopefully Sony will keep their hands out of the development.
Yes , given history... i trust microsoft disbanding studios, deteriorating brands and burying IPs... so, good thing they are now with a proper videogame company.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Zzzzzz wow so nothing studios
You must be an interesting folk to analize... look at these...

"Splatoon 3? more like The Same Game 3"
"Story of Seasons is dead"
"Who still uses their PSvita "

Look at this gem... i was slaying qanon trolls in 9gag and reddit , i never thought i found one here. Oh baby, drop it like is hot mofo.
"The Biden dictatorship starts today"
I bet you are an antivaxxer and think jesus is big foot and both are real...
you better be ready my boy. I've seen the worst of your kind already.

Reactions: D34DL1N3R

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes , given history... i trust microsoft disbanding studios, deteriorating brands and burying IPs... so, good thing they are now with a proper videogame company.

I mentioned "as it stands". Microsoft has been doing pretty well lately.

Also... In regards to the rest of your post, don't be a jerk to other people, the thread is about a game studio, don't just start bashing people.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wake me up when Sony decides to up their ante by owning big companies like Capcom, Koi Techmo, Bandai Namco or Sega.

Heck, if Microsoft was able to buy Bethesda Softworks, what's stopping Sony from buying those companies?

Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy then. You mean like garbage Bethesda?
Starting a feud, are we? Bethesda isn't bad. It's just that they're more akin to criticism due to how buggy their previous games have been. They're doing much better now. Not only that, they're one of the companies who actually supports the modding community unlike other developers.

Last edited by Deleted member 534570,
Reactions: Skelletonike

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy then. You mean like garbage Bethesda?

Why garbage? The biggest issue with Bethesda is their QA, with their games being usually a good (albeit overrated), but buggy mess.
As for IP's, Microsoft owns way more game studios than people realise, most of them actually make pretty decent games. If you mean Rare in specific, Sea of Thieves was a pretty good game (the genre isn't my cup of tea though).

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you'd told me in the 80s that the console wars would end up being between Microsoft and Sony I would've been very confused, but here we are.

It's a pity there are more pure gamers out there that don't care about the platforms. I say kill home consoles and bring back the arcades! :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Your dad still got laid +1