SONY do not like it,if you PLATE MOD your PlayStation 5

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's not that, that sh**ty company is against the owners replacing the plate of their overhyped/overpriced console, it is that their business model includes selling to the customers a stupidly overpriced plate to replace the original/ugly ones.

No more Sunny products for me anymore, I'll just keep my PSP/Vita for emulation only, and won't buy any "new" junk they release on the forecoming years. The same goes with Microsucks.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not big on Microsoft but I really like their controllers, especially the fact they use AA batteries.
Assuming you look after it, you'll be able to use it in 20 years. The same can't really be said about controllers which use rechargeable ones.

Yeah, but it's really easy to swap some of those rechargeable batteries out for new ones (certainly not all of them though), like the Wii U pro controllers, are just behind a single screwed panel, and those things last 120 hours on a single charge (mine still run that strong some 6 or so years later), so if we're giving credit based on longevity before needing to swap out rechargeable batteries, the Wii U pro controllers deserve some real love.

susi91

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Aside of controller batteries and the awful designed plates / housing... ;)
I truly dislike the 'soldered on' ssd chips and the custom ssd controller.
Long term serviceability isn't a thing at all, I guess.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, they work, but it's a well known fact that rechargeable batteries get old and their life decreases, the battery can swell etc...
I know we can open the controller, thankfully for controllers that's easy to do, but the problem is that Sony don't provide replacement batteries. No surprises there, it's old and they don't care.

Um. 1) Standard AA batteries die and no longer work far, far, FAR sooner than the rechargeables. 2) MS does not provide replacement AA batteries.

Reactions: Alexander1970

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Um. 1) Standard AA batteries die and no longer work far, far, FAR sooner than the rechargeables. 2) MS does not provide replacement AA batteries.
I'm not really sure of the point you're trying to make...
Obviously we don't need to rely on MS for new batteries, that's entirely the point!
AA batteries have been in use for more than 50 years, and will continue to be used for a while longer.
Using rechargeable AA batteries is great, after they eventually go bad (like all rechargeable batteries do) - we can buy more.
Can the DS4 battery last longer than 2 AAs in the Xbox One controller? I'm not sure, but the AAs last long enough.
Battery technology is improving, the rechargables 15 years ago were terrible compared to stuff like 'eneloop' makes now.
Even eneloop have improved and released new versions of their batteries over the years.
Sadly, my PSP battery though is getting older and older with not good quality replacement. I saw some mod where a guy was using nokia batteries in the PSP, they are much more widespread than PSP. Things like that are cool.

It's good to have 'standards', like everything using usb c, or hdmi, stuff like that.
When companies use their own battery, or solder it in, it makes difficult to use in the long term.

Of course, in an ideal world, a rechargeable battery that never goes bad would be best. I'm not saying that I don't want rechargeable things (like I said, I use rechargeable AA batteries) - but until batteries are perfected, or until we can be sure that high quality replacements will be available even 20 years in the future, I'd rather stick with common standards like AA.
I'd rather my phone bea few mm thicker and have some standardized replaceable battery, than whatever samsung thing it has now.

Thinking about it, after 3-4 years, my electric toothbrush certainly doesn't last as long as it used to.
100% non user replaceable. Apart from that, it works great. It would be nice if I didn't have to spend $xx on a new one every few years, but let's be real... the company wants us to :D

Last edited by cearp,

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not really sure of the point you're trying to make...:D

My point was that I felt your points were invalid. For example, stating that Sony doesn't provide extra batteries was a downside when MS doesn't provide them either. My point was that I was disagreeing with the specific reasons I pointed out. :)

I agree 100% about eneloops. No one should be buying anything else in the rechargeable department. Except the Amazon Basics. They are supposedly rebranded eneloops. I haven't researched it's validity, but I can attest to that I've had some for a couple years now and have not noticed any difference.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sony can do as they please because it’s their system. If they don’t want people selling third party parts, they have every right to C&D them.
That's unlikely. Sony has no right to stop people from making accessories as long as they don't use any Sony trademarks. Their efforts to stop people from making third party accessories likely wouldn't hold up in court. It's just that most people are intimidated by a C&D and don't want to fight it even if they could win.

I'm not really sure of the point you're trying to make...
Obviously we don't need to rely on MS for new batteries, that's entirely the point!
AA batteries have been in use for more than 50 years, and will continue to be used for a while longer.
Using rechargeable AA batteries is great, after they eventually go bad (like all rechargeable batteries do) - we can buy more.
Can the DS4 battery last longer than 2 AAs in the Xbox One controller? I'm not sure, but the AAs last long enough.
Battery technology is improving, the rechargables 15 years ago were terrible compared to stuff like 'eneloop' makes now.
Even eneloop have improved and released new versions of their batteries over the years.
Sadly, my PSP battery though is getting older and older with not good quality replacement. I saw some mod where a guy was using nokia batteries in the PSP, they are much more widespread than PSP. Things like that are cool.

It's good to have 'standards', like everything using usb c, or hdmi, stuff like that.
When companies use their own battery, or solder it in, it makes difficult to use in the long term.

Of course, in an ideal world, a rechargeable battery that never goes bad would be best. I'm not saying that I don't want rechargeable things (like I said, I use rechargeable AA batteries) - but until batteries are perfected, or until we can be sure that high quality replacements will be available even 20 years in the future, I'd rather stick with common standards like AA.
I'd rather my phone bea few mm thicker and have some standardized replaceable battery, than whatever samsung thing it has now.

Thinking about it, after 3-4 years, my electric toothbrush certainly doesn't last as long as it used to.
100% non user replaceable. Apart from that, it works great. It would be nice if I didn't have to spend $xx on a new one every few years, but let's be real... the company wants us to :D
Honestly I don't even think any of my DualShock 4s last 12 hours on a full charge.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Re Sony being litigious. I do feel the need to remind people about geohot, about electricbirdland https://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law/news/another-psp-import-win-for-sony , about them vs Bleem and other emulators and more besides.

It is not a new look for them. Their actions have seen them on many people's "don't buy unless absolutely necessary" list for many years now.

As far as this is concerned. It is pushing it. On the other hand if we have the mikerowesoft case ( https://www.cnet.com/news/mikerowesoft-settles-for-an-xbox/ and for the first time ever from me a reddit link https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ajsih/i_am_the_guy_who_owned_mikerowesoftcom_ama/ ) then I can see it. It is not quite a typo domain but misheard/almost homonym could be something.

Also +1 to custom internal batteries are no fun.

This is weird.

Design of a console (and casing) is copyrighted and can't be reproduced, but I don't recall any case where a company tried to stop 3rd party replacements, so this is a dick move.
Apple did have a thing with cases a few years ago. Tried searching but came up short. From what I recall when they were available in only black or white or something then someone managed to get the other colour made and was importing that to much fanfare, apple then slapped them down.

Casing laws can also get weird as well, though that is one place where it does get very regional as to what goes (design rights, registered designs, what counts as what for the purposes of both -- things that connect to other things sometimes not)

D

Deleted User

Um. No. 1) 13 yr old PS3 controller batteries are still working just fine. 2) You can replace the rechargeable batteries in both the DualShock 3 and 4 extremely easily.

Edit: I'll also add that every single one of my PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 controllers I've ever had functioned perfectly and I never had a single issue. On the other hand, EVERY, SINGLE XB 360 controller I bought had horrible stick drifting, even some of them when brand new just out of the packaging.

Edit 2: Regarding the PS5 custom top and bottom plates. Meh. Just paint them yourself or have someone skilled in painting do it for you.
i opened up my ps3 controller to clean up the crusty gross buttons from the previous owner and now the right trigger is permanently fucked up because of how shittily made the inside of the controller is, so no, it's not just easy to open and replace the battery

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Re Sony being litigious. I do feel the need to remind people about geohot, about electricbirdland https://www.pinsentmasons.com/out-law/news/another-psp-import-win-for-sony , about them vs Bleem and other emulators and more besides.

It is not a new look for them. Their actions have seen them on many people's "don't buy unless absolutely necessary" list for many years now.

Eh, I'm unaware of the electricbirdland case, but I can at least understand the other 2 examples you provided. This one feels far less necessary to go after than those cases were. Legit this is just about putting a physical aesthetic mod on the sides of your PS5 that can easily snap into place. Nothing about that changes how the system itself actually performs, so that just seems super lame. Meanwhile Geohot and Bleem were doing things within the PlayStation's coding that were never intended or supposed to be available to consumers, that could lead to piracy, so I get why Sony felt compelled to fight against those examples. Again for this though, it's just the aesthetics on the system itself; would Sony stop an airbrush artist from going to a PS5 owner's place and painting a design on the side of the system for a fee? Cuz that's pretty much what they're doing here, and I don't think that's close to on the same level as those other examples. Again, MS let gamers pay for and put 3rd party faceplates on their 360s without any repercussions. I'm no Xbox fan, but at least that is the proper user-friendly way to handle this nonsense.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
isn't the primary reason for this lawsuit because of the name of the domain "platestation5"? that it was too close to their trademark, playstation 5...

"Eagle Eye". clap.gif

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
White is such a boring color,. black, blue, etc would look a lot sleeker IMO
I said something this before in some other thread - but I'm very confident that in the future we can expect a red spiderman one, a black and gold action/fighting game one... etc
Let alone the slim version that will come out in a few years!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Eh, I'm unaware of the electricbirdland case, but I can at least understand the other 2 examples you provided. This one feels far less necessary to go after than those cases were. Legit this is just about putting a physical aesthetic mod on the sides of your PS5 that can easily snap into place. Nothing about that changes how the system itself actually performs, so that just seems super lame. Meanwhile Geohot and Bleem were doing things within the PlayStation's coding that were never intended or supposed to be available to consumers, that could lead to piracy, so I get why Sony felt compelled to fight against those examples. Again for this though, it's just the aesthetics on the system itself; would Sony stop an airbrush artist from going to a PS5 owner's place and painting a design on the side of the system for a fee? Cuz that's pretty much what they're doing here, and I don't think that's close to on the same level as those other examples. Again, MS let gamers pay for and put 3rd party faceplates on their 360s without any repercussions. I'm no Xbox fan, but at least that is the proper user-friendly way to handle this nonsense.

The Bleem emulation was a losing case and classic bigger wallet lawsuit.

Geohot. Ignoring that he was not the one to first distribute the knowledge (the C3 presentation being that one) and instead the one to spin it up and distro the results then maybe. If we are going to judge companies on being able to do what we like with our own stuff then this stands in stark contrast to that.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Bleem emulation was a losing case and classic bigger wallet lawsuit.

Geohot. Ignoring that he was not the one to first distribute the knowledge (the C3 presentation being that one) and instead the one to spin it up and distro the results then maybe. If we are going to judge companies on being able to do what we like with our own stuff then this stands in stark contrast to that.

I'm just saying, I totally understand why Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft would go after those that open up their console to piracy, be it directly or indirectly. I don't understand, nor do I think I ever will, why offering a means of changing the physical appearance of the system for a fee should be considered on the same level as that.

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Yeah they did a test
the ds4 controlls 1000mah lipo lasted 7 hours
the xbone lasted 13 with a 1400mah

this was both full features enabled, the ds4 draws way more due to its feature set including lightbar

you also need to take into account power draw on devices.
and the biggest factor voltage

the ds4 draws 3.6V
a rechargeable AA at 2850mah would be 1.2V (this parts important)
a single lipo at about 800mah at 3.6V is about 2400mah when at 1.2V

the ds4 uses a 1000mah battery so its about 3000mah when compared to 1.2v
(also you can get 2000mah lipos that fit in the ds4) i have done this mod

lipos do give more batter life than AA's sure you can swap them out
but they also have quick charge support which the dual sense will prob support

also if you want to battery mod a psp
any 3.7V battery will work just solder the connectors to the battery and its go time.

like any phone battery will do, people put them in the umd slot after removing the guts then get insane battery.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-for-3000mah-battery-mod-for-psp-2000-3000.484492/

but yeah if the ds4 was using the 2000mah lipo like the mods (which are exact same size)
or had the dualsense controlles lipo
and the controller had the same power draw as the xbone

it would last a fair bit longer
basically lipos last longer vs AA's for the size of them

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is one of the reasons I refuse to financially support Sony in their music, video, gaming, hardware, nor software departments. Their cold, uncaring grip on any single proprietary concept they can is almost a joke at this point, apparently now going as far as to stop people from putting custom shells on their console.

Stopping people from putting pieces of plastic that were designed to be swapped out.. on their console. Seriously.

What kind of person sees this kind of thing happening and thinks "Ah, yes. This is a great idea. This company is obviously very caring to its consumers. Here, take all this money!"? It's like we're living in the movie Idiocracy.

As someone who loves consoles with customized cosmetics, (CCC, if you're into alliteration) to the point where I usually wait until a color/pattern/skin variant of a console releases before buying it, this is even more frustrating to me, aside from its obvious anti-consumer, overtly and blatantly greedy vibes, because regardless of the fact I had no plans to buy a PS5, I really wanted to see what people would do with those interchangeable side plates. Now, the only thing they'll do with them is keep them stock, or get a faceful of C&D. Fantastic.

I'm almost certain Sony's gonna come out with their own line of "custom plates" with various styles and whatnot, but stifling creativity completely rather than just cracking down on people trying to reproduce official Sony designs and prints.. That's just low.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol