Sony Comes Clean- Personal Data Stolen

luminalace

Trophies
XP
Country
I still don't understand why Credit card numbers need to be stored on PS3 and X-Box 360! It's a pain to re-enter credit card details when purchasing stuff on Wii but at least the information disappears when the power is off.

I am kinda pissed off but fortunately changed credit cards recently and did not update my PS3.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is why you use PSN cards not credit cards, it's going to suck for Japanese users more since they tend to wire their credit cards onto the network more than US users. Never used a credit card (since I'm from the US using a JP account and used PSN cards), so CC is safe.

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
So Sony relies on the PS3 to be safe enough so they skipped any security on the PSN... That seems fair for as long as the PS3 wasnt hacked.

But shouldn´t Sony have done something about the nonexistant security on the PSN when the PS3 was hacked?
That´s it for me, i´ll pass on future Sony products. (I know you dont care)

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SnAQ said:
So Sony relies on the PS3 to be safe enough so they skipped any security on the PSN... That seems fair for as long as the PS3 wasnt hacked.

But shouldn´t Sony have done something about the nonexistant security on the PSN when the PS3 was hacked?
That´s it for me, i´ll pass on future Sony products. (I know you dont care)

or you just not go online, try some Japanese games, the majority of them have no infrastructure online and good 1 player modes, they still in the local MP age.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@luminalace if it was just on the console it would not be half as bad- this appears to be someone accessing it all from Sony's servers.
There is (or appears to be) the secondary issue of it not being encrypted properly when transferred around but that is not so much the issue right now- there might have been something along the lines of using a PS3 as a trusted platform as part of the hack or perfecting the hack there/using info gleaned from the PS3 but that is speculation at this point.

Re firing their engineers- and do what replace them with a bunch of grad students that will do the same thing? There is something to be learned from an experience as painful as this.

Also PSN fraudulent purchases- I take it the ability to run PSN content similar to some of the stuff on the 360 (JTAG and the like- download as per usual rom/iso type methods and install on system) never happened. Granted the lack of any scene releases like it tends to attest to it not being the case but I thought I would ask anyway.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jaxxster said:
Plus they also kept a log of your TV, ps3 model, usb devices attached. This is beyond a fuck up
do you really care if they know your TV?
HDMI transmits a TV id when it does a handshake
im pretty sure microsoft does the same thing, they even asked me what my TV model was on dashboard beta signups

the ps3 model
isnt that dam obvious already? of course they are gonna log your ps3 model for error reporting purposes
im pretty sure every system does this

and the USB
your computer is logging this stuff all the time, I cant see how this is any different
especially after the jailbreak fiasco

welcome to the digital age, nothing is private anymore

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
im not usually the pessimistic type, but if i lost all the stuff purchased in my private account then seriously sony have to find a damn good copensation or a way to see what each account has bought or some log shit i dunno

then again i neer used CC #'s with PSN nor my real name .

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty pissed. Sony really, really fucked up and is probably going to lose a lot of customers from this, plus someone's probably going to try to sue.
There seems to be some profanity on the wiki page.
sony.png

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Joe88 said:
and the USB
your computer is logging this stuff all the time, I cant see how this is any different
especially after the jailbreak fiasco

Ok, but on the PC I know there are logs and I'm the one in control and can even turn the logging off, and aren't only told about the data collection after shit goes wrong. Also whenever it tries to "phone home" it lets me know and even asks if it can send the logs, and lets me see what's in them. After an opt-in. Even on Windows.

ultimate.fake.ac

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hop2089 said:
Anyone suspect an inside job in this (directly or indirectly)?
I wouldn't rule out the possibility. It would be very likely that in a large corp like sony their would be individuals not particularly happy with how things are being handled.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
coolness said:
thanks to geohot everyone can lose there creditcard data have a nice day
smile.gif

Thanks to Sony not bothering to encrypt anything and just assuming that because only the PS3 can access the service and the PS3 was "unhackable" that it didn't need to bother and security through obscurity was enough. You really think if some kid in his bedroom hadn't done this that organised criminals wouldn't have?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work