Homebrew Some hacking concepts and links

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
just noticed about this thread, damn FAST6191 such huge thread, if you wrote this all then:
Mosque.jpg

i want to give you a whole nutella bottle for that...

WaryLouka

Official Representative of the SuperCard Team
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did smea basically said You have to buy Gateway if you want to play rom's....??!

No. He said his exploit doesn't allow piracy by itself, but future ROM loaders made by pirates\developers may exist in the future, when SSSpwn will be made available.

WaryLouka

Official Representative of the SuperCard Team
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like its some kind of TOP SECRET FBI alien experiment that must newer reach public eye... what's the deal with it anyway?

Smealum is working on preventing using his exploit for piracy which is impossible, even knowing we have poor developement tools for developing rom loaders or something. Plus, it's a all-new exploit which works for the lastest firmwares but of course he must have a reason to not release it after all.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Smealum is working on preventing using his exploit for piracy which is impossible

Had we still been on the DS or something similar I would have agreed, the 3ds seems to feature a proper kernel and program separation and Smea's exploit does not quite reach the depths of the kernel but should allow full access to the hardware otherwise. There may still be an option to drive a wedge in there somewhere but that would be an actual project.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't say anything about a patch. It probably gives enough access to run simple demos but breaks things that would be wanted for really useful means. Similar to the homebrew ROPinstaller/Launcher.dat vs GW's version.

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's what Smea had to say recently:
fyi : this is just "ssspwn" updated to work with a new entrypoint i found. it's unfortunately not the most convenient but should work on 8.x [source]

So it looks like there's an entrypoint now.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not all that relevant to the 3ds but if you are interested in hacking in general and doing it for relatively unknown systems or systems new to you then the following video is well worth a watch
Mike's electric stuff, part 2 of the xray scanner teardown.

The rest of the videos, and most of his channel, is great for electronics teardowns and more besides.

Reactions: redact and cearp

Jew-bro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not all that relevant to the 3ds but if you are interested in hacking in general and doing it for relatively unknown systems or systems new to you then the following video is well worth a watch
Mike's electric stuff, part 2 of the xray scanner teardown.

The rest of the videos, and most of his channel, is great for electronics teardowns and more besides.

So he is one of the reverse engineers working on it? I thought he was like 17... :P Still, Japan was faster with CyberGadget for public, now it's Smea's turn+

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sure if you replied to the wrong post. To the best of my knowledge that guy has nothing to do with 3ds hacking. I linked the video as this is a general hacking thread of sorts and that video displays the kind of mindset/thought process/logic that goes into reverse engineering combined hardware and software better than most other things I see.

Jew-bro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I am not sure if you replied to the wrong post. To the best of my knowledge that guy has nothing to do with 3ds hacking. I linked the video as this is a general hacking thread of sorts and that video displays the kind of mindset/thought process/logic that goes into reverse engineering combined hardware and software better than most other things I see.

Ah, you're right :P

giga502

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is anyone aware if SMEA's exploit will be running on the latest 3DS firmware? I still have not upgraded from 5.0.0 in the hope of a public exploit on the exploit SMEA mention that was patch as of 7.0.0.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last that I saw him say about firmware compatibility was with 8.0 where he said it worked. Since it still works after all the different versions then it stands to reason that it will still work on 9.x firmware. It is believed the main reason behind the 9.0 update was to force Smashers to need to update to play online via the eShop which flash cart users can't do (yet) because of the new encryption in the firmware. This has been seen many times before on various consoles where there is a passive-aggressive choice given between playing a landmark game or keeping custom firmware and/or piracy. Went a bit OT there...

mariosonicds

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone have a N3ds because that recent webkit exploit site for psVita gives me an error code while the 3ds gives me an error that it has no variable.
V8vEtLnMBJYuibPVNGS8Z6AjpY7wLplgmXTVhVkznKoKCt-dLa12oNKQFcWP2XWhwYMHnOlRO2c=w1326-h577

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I did not feel like resurrecting the gateway bricking thread but an interesting parallel (or perhaps not parallel but somewhat similar) situation has arisen in general electronics over the last couple of weeks.

Reactions: Huntereb

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over