Hacking Some FAQ For The New 3.0 BETA Update

ceelo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, let me see if I got this straight:
If I DONT downgrade my 3ds, Ill need to just simply use the red card and website, right?
If I DO downgrade, I use the blue card once to put the exploit in. Then any time I want to use it, I just go to my profile thing? I dont have to constantly swap blue and red cards? Can just keep red card in after the initial boot?

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, let me see if I got this straight:
If I DONT downgrade my 3ds, Ill need to just simply use the red card and website, right?
If I DO downgrade, I use the blue card once to put the exploit in. Then any time I want to use it, I just go to my profile thing? I dont have to constantly swap blue and red cards? Can just keep red card in after the initial boot?

You are correct. The blue card only needs to be used once to change the DS profile to be exploited.

If, however, you ever use a DS Mode flashcart on sysNAND then you will need to use the blue card again, but most people don't, so you should really only need to take out the red card when you're adding some ROM's to your microSD card. :)

dicamarques

Definitely not Bruce Wayne.
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Quick question, I was thinking to temp downgrade do a Backup and then restore my nand back to 9.2 while I wait for some homebrew loader to be released, is there any problem with this or not?
I know I can still access the exploit from 4.5 and I can restore the nand by pressing UP.
Note: All this on the SysNand

andre104623

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well then I guess stock 9.1 did come with the Browser ready to use.
On my stock N3DS 8.1.0-0J, i cannot open the browser without it telling me I need to update.

この機能を使うにはインターネットを使って本体更新を行う必要があります。 本体設定を起動して本体更新を行いますか?

This is different from the update nag when the system has downloaded the update in the bg and wants to install it.

I would love to be proved wrong, if anyone has a stock Jpn ND3S with 8.1.0-0J, please report if you're able to open the Browser.
You can't. I also have a N3ds on 8.1-0-0J and it won't let me open the browser without a update or whatever the fuck it says because I can't read it. We N3ds users are in a bad spot right now if gateway can't fix the Mii exploit problem then we wasted money even buying the system. I would buy a sky3ds if you got the money because we might have a very long wait or if garyopa is right then next week I'm trying to keep my hopes up but when 2.0 was in beta it took forever for the final release

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, this is interesting.

Upon receiving a Streetpass this morning on emuNAND, I attempted to enter the plaza. I get error code 009-8401 that says "The update data is corrupted." It wants me to go into data management and delete the update data, but I haven't yet (I was under the impression that visiting data management wiped out your .cias). If I hit OK, the plaza prompts me to re-download the software update data. Hitting yes brings me back to that same error screen, and I'm then kicked back to the home menu. What's that all about?

And I'm still getting an error upon trying to enter the eShop or Miiverse. Thinking it's something NNID related, but when I visit NNID Settings it kicks me back to sysNAND.

Is there a more centralized "Newbish Gateway Owner Questions" thread?

Data Management in SysNAND will wipe out your CIAs if you haven't unlinked. It's not a problem in EmuNAND. Maybe something's going on with your SD card since it says the update's corrupt. You could try backing everything up (including the EmuNAND via EmuNAND Tool), formatting with HP USB format utility, throw the launcher back on, format EmuNAND again, delete the new "Nintendo 3DS" folder, copy the old one back, inject your EmuNAND back, and see if that helps.

Is there any chance there is a fix for the black screens that appear when loading Classic mode through the 9.2 exploit?
I dont hace a GW cart, but it gives you the option to load without a red cart but leads to two black screens

Classic Mode will not boot without the Gateway card on NANDs (Sys or Emu) running firmware 8.x or higher I think (it may be 7.x). They probably should update that so that it checks the NAND and if the version's too high it just tells you to forget about it like Gateway mode does.

You can't. I also have a N3ds on 8.1-0-0J and it won't let me open the browser without a update or whatever the fuck it says because I can't read it. We N3ds users are in a bad spot right now if gateway can't fix the Mii exploit problem then we wasted money even buying the system. I would buy a sky3ds if you got the money because we might have a very long wait or if garyopa is right then next week I'm trying to keep my hopes up but when 2.0 was in beta it took forever for the final release

I have an Australian N3DS. My browser does work. It's still not exploitable. It's not a case of the Mii exploit needing fixed. It's working fine by all accounts. They deliberately didn't release it because they don't want people trying Ultra on the N3DS yet. Probably because EmuNAND is still not quite working right with firmware New 9.4 (not to be confused with firmware 9.4). The apps installed are quite different. If you could get into the browser, like I can, you would see that it looks very different from the normal 3DS browser. Firmware New 9.4 makes far more changes to the system than firmware 9.4 does. It turns on Amiibo access for example. This is probably why beta testers that had the Mii exploit were saying there was no EmuNAND.

Have a look at the files UpdateCDN uses in the 9.2 update alone (since I had to replace my bricked 3DS XL, I wanted to get it a 9.2 for the sake of completeness). Everything in the "9.0.0-20-stage2" folder is an N3DS-exclusive version of something. Kind-of strange that they would even have those for the US version, with the US version of the N3DS not even existing yet (though maybe it does if you're a developer).

Why not buy a Sky3DS if you're impatient? I did. No regrets. Zelda: ALBW was much better without the ghost images. You can always use it to run Ninjhax (since my N3DS is Australian, I'd need 2 Cubic Ninja carts to avoid the need for extra SD cards running EmuNAND 9.2). You can also use it to upgrade systems to 4.5 (especially useful with the downgrade going to 4.2), any future game exploit you won't be scrambling to get the game, and you can always hand it to a friend for some multi-player (you don't have worry about what firmware they're on either).

Now, about that aforementioned brick, can anyone with a hard mod try unlinking, and then restoring the linked NAND via the d-pad up + Downgrade option? I'd rather not end up with a second brick so soon, and I can't find any differences in the files EmuNAND Tool and the Gateway NAND dumper make, so I'm starting to think it bricked because real SysNAND can't be restored to a wiped profile (the system that bricked was unlinked from the profile the EmuNAND I tried to restore by renaming it to NAND.BIN used).

Reactions: arapozo

arapozo

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question about GW. Will my retail carts that require firmware greater than 4.5 run on emunand?
Like, if I'm running emunand and remove the gateway card and insert my retail cart, will it work?
I ask because I have about 13 retail 3ds games and wouldn't like to loose my progress in them.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Data Management in SysNAND will wipe out your CIAs if you haven't unlinked. It's not a problem in EmuNAND. Maybe something's going on with your SD card since it says the update's corrupt. You could try backing everything up (including the EmuNAND via EmuNAND Tool), formatting with HP USB format utility, throw the launcher back on, format EmuNAND again, delete the new "Nintendo 3DS" folder, copy the old one back, inject your EmuNAND back, and see if that helps.
Aside from that incident, everything else on the SD card works fine. I've got an emuNAND backup, so if the problem ever arises again, I'll do just that.

However, I was able to delete the corrupt update data from emuNAND's data management... and it now wants me to download new update data, since it's not there anymore. After being presented with some info about credit cards and clicking continue, it appears to try signing in with my NNID and then I get error 022-2634: "An error has occurred, please try again later." Same error when I try to access eShop and Miiverse. My suspicions are slowly being confirmed that there's something wrong with my NNID. Unfortunately, trying to access NNID settings on emuNAND kicks me back to sysNAND.

EDIT: I guess it's an issue that I didn't enter my NNID/make sure I had eShop access on emuNAND before I downgraded. Restoring to my 9.2 sysNAND backup, entering NNID info, then re-downgrading to see if that fixes things.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question about GW. Will my retail carts that require firmware greater than 4.5 run on emunand?
Like, if I'm running emunand and remove the gateway card and insert my retail cart, will it work?
I ask because I have about 13 retail 3ds games and wouldn't like to loose my progress in them.

Just a quick question if i stay on 9.2 can i still use my pokemon X and Alpha sapphire cartridges without losing my save? Also can i play retail games on emunand?

Classic Mode exists for the purpose of allowing you to run real game carts. Since the Gateway menu lets you back them up, and their saves, there's really no need unless you just like weighing your pockets down and/or enjoy swapping media (I don't, any flash adapter or ODDE they make, I'm the first in line unless there's already CFW accomplishing the same functionality). As long as EmuNAND is updated to at least 8.1, all games of all types will run on it (ROM, CIA, and physical cart). Pokemon games are card type 2. They'll work even if you downgrade. That was the "surprise feature" apparently. It's the card 1 game saves for games requiring 6.0 firmware or higher that are going to be problematic. If they were played on SysNAND 6.0 or higher, playing them with a SysNAND on 4.x will force you to start over. Zelda: ALBW is a perfect example of this. So, the real question is going to be, downgrade so you can use the DS offline exploit now, or wait for the Mii exploit. A decision you'll have to make based on how many of your games will be affected, and whether or not you mind starting over.

Not that downgrading poses much risk, you can always return to your original firmware (at least as long as you don't unlink, I'm starting to think the unit that bricked on me did so because the NAND I was restoring was from a previous profile).

Aside from that incident, everything else on the SD card works fine. I've got an emuNAND backup, so if the problem ever arises again, I'll do just that.

However, I was able to delete the corrupt update data from emuNAND's data management... and it now wants me to download new update data, since it's not there anymore. After being presented with some info about credit cards and clicking continue, it appears to try signing in with my NNID and then I get error 022-2634: "An error has occurred, please try again later." Same error when I try to access eShop and Miiverse. My suspicions are slowly being confirmed that there's something wrong with my NNID. Unfortunately, trying to access NNID settings on emuNAND kicks me back to sysNAND.

Unfortunately, I'm not really that familiar with NNID issues. Didn't create mine until I had already been running EmuNAND for a while. I was just too lazy to go through the process of creating a personal Mii. Nintendo doesn't seem to get the fact that some people absolutely do not have any interest in creating virtual versions of themselves, much less placing them in the games they play.

PokeChampion

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Classic Mode exists for the purpose of allowing you to run real game carts. Since the Gateway menu lets you back them up, and their saves, there's really no need unless you just like weighing your pockets down and/or enjoy swapping media (I don't, any flash adapter or ODDE they make, I'm the first in line unless there's already CFW accomplishing the same functionality). As long as EmuNAND is updated to at least 8.1, all games of all types will run on it (ROM, CIA, and physical cart). Pokemon games are card type 2. They'll work even if you downgrade. That was the "surprise feature" apparently. It's the card 1 game saves for games requiring 6.0 firmware or higher that are going to be problematic. If they were played on SysNAND 6.0 or higher, playing them with a SysNAND on 4.x will force you to start over. Zelda: ALBW is a perfect example of this. So, the real question is going to be, downgrade so you can use the DS offline exploit now, or wait for the Mii exploit. A decision you'll have to make based on how many of your games will be affected, and whether or not you mind starting over.

If I boot classic mode without the cart itself. Then somethings might not budge that well though

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I boot classic mode without the cart itself. Then somethings might not budge that well though

You have to boot any mode with the red GW card. Once the mode is loaded, it doesn't have to stay there. You can even run CIAs on two systems at the same time that have been booted with the same GW card.

PokeChampion

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to boot any mode with the red GW card. Once the mode is loaded, it doesn't have to stay there. You can even run CIAs on two systems at the same time that have been booted with the same GW card.

And the red GW cart also will enable SDF too.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are correct. The blue card only needs to be used once to change the DS profile to be exploited.

If, however, you ever use a DS Mode flashcart on sysNAND then you will need to use the blue card again, but most people don't, so you should really only need to take out the red card when you're adding some ROM's to your microSD card. :)

Actually, any DS Mode flashcart can also run GW Installer. It's just a regular NDS ROM. So, a DS Mode flash cart is a problem that solves itself. There's even a plug-in for the DSTwo. You don't need the blue card at all if you have one.

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I downgraded my 3DS XL from 9.2 to 4.5, then using the Web Exploit, i went ot go.scmods.com, clicked the 4.x one, entered classic mode WITHOUT a GW cart (so I clicked X) and tried seeing what happens when I insert a JPN game on a EUR console (game in question is Inazuma Eleven GO 2: Chrono Stone - Neppu) and the game loaded!

So yeah, using the web exploit on a 4.x console WITHOUT a GW does allow you to region-free.

Reactions: Piepokemon

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For people with an 8.1 (New 3ds/xl or original 3ds/xl) without the internet browser... is there any hope for these people? Outside of the possible mii qr code thing that want to use Gateway?

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downgraded my 3DS XL from 9.2 to 4.5, then using the Web Exploit, i went ot go.scmods.com, clicked the 4.x one, entered classic mode WITHOUT a GW cart (so I clicked X) and tried seeing what happens when I insert a JPN game on a EUR console (game in question is Inazuma Eleven GO 2: Chrono Stone - Neppu) and the game loaded!

So yeah, using the web exploit on a 4.x console WITHOUT a GW does allow you to region-free.

Ah, so I was right about it being the 9.2. Actually, the downgrade takes you to 4.2 by default. Technically, that's before the Acekard 2i and many other old DS cards were banned, so, if you have one of those laying around, you should be able to install the DS exploit with it for offline use. If not, there's actually an Android app now. So, you could use a wifi media sharing device, portable wifi router, etc. to run the exploit offline now as well.

For people with an 8.1 (New 3ds/xl or original 3ds/xl) without the internet browser... is there any hope for these people? Outside of the possible mii qr code thing that want to use Gateway?

I think the only people who can't get to a browser are people with a Japanese N3DS on 8.1. Since the N3DS exploit isn't out for anyone, why worry about it? Even if you could get to the web browser, you'd still be royally screwed. There's a firewall on the Japanese version of the browser that locks it so it can only browse a few kid-friendly sites. You have to purchase an eshop download to unlock it. The logic behind this being kids don't usually have access to credit cards. So if you could bring the browser up, it probably still wouldn't go to the site.

The browser exploit probably isn't going to work on an N3DS anyway. I have the Australian N3DS. I can get to the browser. I can take it to the site. It still doesn't work (and the Breakout game doesn't seem to work, either). So, it's not like you're missing much. It's possible Gateway just deliberately left out a payload. However, the N3DS browser is very different from the standard 3DS browser. So it may not work with any browser payload for all we know.

Still, you've seen the video, right? There has to be some way they got it on there. I believe the entire reason they didn't release the Mii QR trick with 3.0.0 is because it would have let N3DS owners try it out, and as they've said, they don't feel the N3DS support is ready yet. Until they release it, you have no reason to panic and assume that you're screwed. People got all worked up over 4 letters being absent from a video, and we know how that turned out.

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT..

Such an idiot. I dont ever use the browser.. didnt know it was on the top of the menu all along...

So I can downgrade to 4.2 or whatever it is without a gateway?

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, so I was right about it being the 9.2. Actually, the downgrade takes you to 4.2 by default. Technically, that's before the Acekard 2i and many other old DS cards were banned, so, if you have one of those laying around, you should be able to install the DS exploit with it for offline use. If not, there's actually an Android app now. So, you could use a wifi media sharing device, portable wifi router, etc. to run the exploit offline now as well.

Nah
US downgrade takes you to 4.2
EU downgrade takes you to 4.5

I have an EU console, so I cannot use an Ak2i (source: tried it myself to no avail:c)

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont have the n3ds xl...

i have the old one... how can i get the browser without updating?

Well, if it's not a Japanese N3DS, it's not the 8.1 that's the problem. Old 3DS 8.1 has a browser. I just injected my 8.1 EmuNAND back to double check. You either need to delete the update from the SD card (if that's where it is, we seem to have conflicting stories on that), or format system memory. If you have to do the latter, set both Spotpass settings to no before you configure wifi, that should keep you from getting any update notifications.

Nah
US downgrade takes you to 4.2
EU downgrade takes you to 4.5

I have an EU console, so I cannot use an Ak2i (source: tried it myself to no avail:c)

Well that's odd. Certainly leads me to believe the 4.2 was a mistake (an interesting one nonetheless). Unfortunately, 4.4 is the firmware that killed the AK2i. If you had a US unit, you would have been in luck. Oh well, at least you got a free (and completely reversible) downgrade.

EDIT..

Such an idiot. I dont ever use the browser.. didnt know it was on the top of the menu all along...

So I can downgrade to 4.2 or whatever it is without a gateway?

OK, nvm the previous suggestion. Yes, the downgrade doesn't check for the card. It does check for the presence of a NAND backup though (which you can also do without a card). Which is probably a good thing (it wouldn't be reversible without it). Only the Gateway and Classic Modes check for the card. And you can go into Classic Mode on 4.x without the card. You can even setup EmuNAND for use in Classic Mode. Though you'll have to be careful how far you upgrade it, assuming it can be in Classic Mode (never tried it).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: It's Mayday fellas