Hacking Some FAQ For The New 3.0 BETA Update

Sythini

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Getting read error when pressing select for playing roms, did a bunch of searching but only found that the red card might be faulty. Any ideas? Also not sure if I did give enough information please tell me if you need more.

Reactions: dicamarques

PokeChampion

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WIN_20150114_152022.JPG
Why not delete something? Like a game or sth. The launcher file is only 4mb.
You can't run the downgrade without it anyways

Certainly, just inject your backed up NAND.BIN with EmuNAND Tool. There's really no difference byte-wise between SysNAND and EmuNAND, only where they are being stored. OK, I admit I've not done a raw copy of the partition using Win32 Disk Imager, or dd in Linux. However, I have done a "Format EmuNAND" and "Dump NAND" back to back, then performed an fc/b between the NAND.BIN and the backup generated by EmuNAND Tool. No differences. So for all practical intents and purposes, at least as long as you're using EmuNAND Tool to backup your EmuNANDs, a NAND is a NAND. But be careful about using the NAND restorer (d-pad up while selecting Downgrade). For one thing, it can restore a 9.4 EmuNAND (which will kill your exploit). For another, I bricked a unit with it. I've been unable to find any reason why it would fail. Adding to the confusion, I now have confirmation it worked for someone else. The only two things it could be is either the 3DS blacklists the old profile when you system format, or I just have very bad luck. I need to get this figured out. Because when the N3DS exploit hits, I want to create the 9.2 update using UpdateCDN in EmuNAND then restore it to SysNAND (since it can't go down to 4.5, might as well take it up to 9.2). But I need to be damn sure it's not going to brick my N3DS.

Do you mean downgrading? And which DS card are you trying to use? Many of them are still banned on 4.5, so, if you have a European unit that didn't get downgraded to 4.2, or you used a game to take it back up to 4.5, something like the Acekard 2i still isn't going to work. Also, I've tested that CIA that's supposed to unban them (and yes, I made sure I used a card without an EmuNAND on it). It didn't do jack. Now if you're trying to use the blue card after downgrading and it's giving you that, it may be defective. My suggestion would be to just get a DSTwo if you're wanting to play DS games. It's hands down the best DS card made.

The only point of no return is if you brick the device (and even then, with some soldering, you can restore the NAND using an SD card reader). As long as you have your NAND dumped. Most of this stuff is optional. As long as you have a card with ROMs inserted into the red card, after selecting Gateway mode (it will ask to update the card the first time, just accept, and then select Gateway mode again), you should be able to hit select to bring up a menu, pick a game, hit A, and from that point it acts like a real game cart. Just make sure you exit with the home button and close it to ensure it saves.

Now for the optional stuff. First, do a NAND dump. Because as I said, as long as you have that, even if you brick your device, it can be fixed. Then backup everything on the internal card up. Then you can format EmuNAND if you want to. Afterwards, boot into Gateway mode and go into System Settings. If everything went right there should be a "GW3D" in the version. Without backing out, go to the update option (backing out kicks you back to SysNAND, so, always look for the "GW3D" before selecting the update option). Now you should have an EmuNAND on 9.4. Before turning it back on, copy the card's original contents back over, including the NAND dump (delete the new "Nintendo 3DS" folder that was created before copying the old one back). Now if you're planning to downgrade, also copy the "gateway.dg" file over to the card before putting it back in the 3DS. Turn the system back on, go into Gateway mode, System Settings and verify it's on 9.4. If all went well, now you should be able to download from the e-shop again. You might want to backup your EmuNAND using EmuNAND Tool at this point. If a future update is incompatible with the launcher, you can restore your 9.4. Once you've made sure your EmuNAND is working good, if you want to downgrade, go ahead, but boot into Gateway mode and turn the wifi off afterward if you want to avoid getting an update message (the downgraded firmware needs both of its Spotpass settings changed to no). Now that you're on 4.x, you should be able to install the DS Profile exploit with the blue card (or any other DS card that isn't banned). Having your SysNAND on 4.x keeps your CIAs from getting re-wrapped. You might also want to unlink, but, pending further research, I'd hold off on that. If you try to restore a dump after doing a system format, it may brick your console (one of mine got bricked, still trying to establish whether it was the unlink, or I just got unlucky).

If you haven't unlinked, you can apparently safely go back to your previous firmware version by holding the d-pad up while selecting the Downgrade option. It will flash back the NAND.BIN that's dumped on the card. It seems fairly safe, I went back to 9.2 a couple of times on my Zelda unit (once because I didn't shut wifi off after downgrading and got the update notice, and a second time because I forgot to dump 4.2 before updating to 4.5 via SMT4). Still, as I said, I do have a brick, and until I have time to do some soldering, I won't be able to find out what caused it. When I'm able to dump my bricked NAND, I'll find out if some of the bytes aren't right, or it actually refused to run a perfectly good dump.

The same way you did on 2.7 Omega. OK, guess that's not very helpful. So, search for something called "Gateway ROM Patcher". Make a backup copy of your original ROMs, then use it to add valid headers and chip IDs to your ROMs (if you don't have any, hit the "use a public one" option). Then rename the extension on the fixed ROMs from .3ds to .3dz to enable online play.

That depends on your definition of useless I guess. Classic mode will boot on 4.x. So, if you want to run an import game, you can. I suppose you could also try the CFW for 4.5. It can't run all the games like the Gateway can, but there are a good number of firmware-spoofed CIAs out there that you can install and run with it.

Kirit0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are correct. The blue card only needs to be used once to change the DS profile to be exploited.

If, however, you ever use a DS Mode flashcart on sysNAND then you will need to use the blue card again, but most people don't, so you should really only need to take out the red card when you're adding some ROM's to your microSD card. :)

Cant downgrade 2DS right?

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cant downgrade 2DS right?

Right, no soft wifi switch in 4.5. N3DS has the same issue. The best you can do is update it to 9.2 for the bug fixes if you're not already on it (thanks to UpdateCDN, EmuNAND Tool, and Gateway's restore feature, it actually is possible).

PokeChampion

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also need the devmenu_x2.cia file. But on GovanifY's website. All I found was a bunch of CFWs and CIA installers/servers. Because I downgraded to 4.2

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also need the devmenu_x2.cia file. But on GovanifY's website. All I found was a bunch of CFWs and CIA installers/servers. Because I downgraded to 4.2

You really don't. All you need is Big Blue Menu (it's really DevMenu 6.2, just with a custom banner). But, if you search for "Big Blue Menu" in the usual places, you will find a torrent that includes both BBM and DevMenu 2.x, in both 3DS and CIA formats (and you do need it as both, because you have to be able to run DevMenu to install it's CIA).

Getting read error when pressing select for playing roms, did a bunch of searching but only found that the red card might be faulty. Any ideas? Also not sure if I did give enough information please tell me if you need more.

Try going into diagnostic mode and see if it detects any errors. If not, it's probably something wrong with the MicroSD card. You did format it as either FAT32 or EXFAT right? If you try to use an NTFS formatted card, it won't work. It also can't load a ROM if it's too fragmented. There's a command line tool called "gw3ds" that can check your card for fragmentation errors and fix them. If you use Total Commander or the "xcopy" command though, you're unlikely to have any.

PokeChampion

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You really don't. All you need is Big Blue Menu (it's really DevMenu 6.2, just with a custom banner). But, if you search for "Big Blue Menu" in the usual places, you will find a torrent that includes both BBM and DevMenu 2.x, in both 3DS and CIA formats (and you do need it as both, because you have to be able to run DevMenu to install it's CIA).

Try going into diagnostic mode and see if it detects any errors. If not, it's probably something wrong with the MicroSD card. You did format it as either FAT32 or EXFAT right? If you try to use an NTFS formatted card, it won't work. It also can't load a ROM if it's too fragmented. There's a command line tool called "gw3ds" that can check your card for fragmentation errors and fix them. If you use Total Commander or the "xcopy" command though, you're unlikely to have any.

Well. I'm doing emunand right now. And if I format my whole system. It'll revert back to factory mode. Losing all data

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just got my gateway, and I can't figure out how to get the exploit to work by visiting the website.

I copied launcher.dat onto my 3ds system's SD card (does this go in the root, or inside the Nintendo 3DS folder? I've tried both, anyways...)
I checked that the SD card is formated as FAT32.
I cleared history and cookies in the browser.
I visit http://go.gateway-3ds.com and then I get an error message saying An error has occurred, and to to try rebooting my system. This occurs in the 3ds menu, the exploit never launches.

What am I doing wrong? My 3ds is 9.2 firmware.

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just got my gateway, and I can't figure out how to get the exploit to work by visiting the website.

I copied launcher.dat onto my 3ds system's SD card (does this go in the root, or inside the Nintendo 3DS folder? I've tried both, anyways...)
I visit http://go.gateway-3ds.com and then I get an error message saying An error has occurred, and to to try rebooting my system. This occurs in the 3ds menu, the exploit never launches.

The launcher.dat file should be on the root of your SD card.

Have you tried clearing save data for the browser?

Reactions: Zarxrax

kublai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

To get the exploit to trigger I had to click to save the bookmark to my favorites

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes, Launcher.dat goes to root.

I'll second kublai's response. Mine did the same thing until I bookmarked it, then clicked on the site from within the bookmarks menu. Obviously, you'll need to do this before it kicks you back to the home menu. It's actually recommended to keep wifi off until you have the site bookmarked, then switch it on, then hit the bookmark. If you still can't get it to work, try the QR code or the Android App (which has a QR code so you don't have to type your device's IP address).

Piepokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, looks like I've got my streetpass full. I'm running an emunand 9.4, sysnand of 9.2 U.S. I haven't unlinked my sysnand and emunand. Is it safe to enter the system settings and get rid of some of my streetpass games? Most of my games are installed .cias.

plog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Your 3DS version needs to be between 4.1 and 9.2 for it to work. If not, you need a game cart to update it to one of these firmwares.

I can't open up the internet browser - when I try it says "The internet browser will be available once you update your system via the internet."
I am on sysnand 4.5E.

This is what is said on page 1
Do I need the blue Gateway card? No, it is not needed for this exploit as it is using the Internet browser instead as its vulnerability, unless you are on version 4.1 - 4.5.

:blink:

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can't open up the internet browser - when I try it says "The internet browser will be available once you update your system via the internet."
I am on sysnand 4.5E.

This is what is said on page 1
Do I need the blue Gateway card? No, it is not needed for this exploit as it is using the Internet browser instead as its vulnerability, unless you are on version 4.1 - 4.5.

:blink:

Maybe something went wrong when updating at some point in the 3DSes history, as that message only appear on REALLY old firmwares (like, anything below 2.0 or 3.0, I forgot which one introduced the web browser). I've seen partial updates happen on here before, so that might be it. The only fix I can think of is a proper system update, but yeah, you can probably imagine why that is a bad idea.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
could someone please upload a video demo?

There will be a video of how to get your gateway running on a 9.2.0-20x 3DS on my channel tonight once I've done a thumbnail.

Basically just shows you how to load up Gateway mode and where to put your backups, nothing about EmuNAND etc My signature will take you to the channel :)

plog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe something went wrong when updating at some point in the 3DSes history, as that message only appear on REALLY old firmwares (like, anything below 2.0 or 3.0, I forgot which one introduced the web browser). I've seen partial updates happen on here before, so that might be it. The only fix I can think of is a proper system update, but yeah, you can probably imagine why that is a bad idea.

Okay, so that must be it.
I updated my 3DS with a game card to 4.5.
So the browser is not updated.
Thanks for replay.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so that must be it.
I updated my 3DS with a game card to 4.5.
So the browser is not updated.
Thanks for replay.

That's odd. It should have updated the browser I would think.

Wait, you're on 4.5? Then just forget about trying to use the online exploit and go with the DS mode exploit instead. It's better anyway. I was about to recommend trying a game with a higher update, but, sometimes it pays to NOT try to over-think these things ;) . Anyway, in your case, you definitely want to use the blue card (or any other non-blocked DS card, like the DSTwo). You only have to do it once (unless you use a DS card with your 3DS, in which case, put GW_Installer.NDS on there, and make sure it's always the last DS "game" you play).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :D