Hacking Softmodded wii today; SO many problems.

z0wnage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I softmodded via Smash Stack (4.3u) and have encountered many issues. I don't even know where to begin. For starters, once I softmodded my wii, I went and burned Melee (Gamecube) to a DVD-RW. I put it in the wii, and (I have an older wii and darkcorp) it didn't load in the regular disk channel, neo gamma, or GC backup launcher. I google searched and thought I found my issue. I went and installed the HB browser followed by DVDx. DVDx had an error installing, something about a stub. Lame. Also, when I tried installing WiiMC, it failed and said something about accessing NANDs. At first, I thought I should start the process over, but apparently that isn't so simple. Please help.

cojiro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
z0wnage said:
I softmodded via Smash Stack (4.3u) and have encountered many issues. I don't even know where to begin. For starters, once I softmodded my wii, I went and burned Melee (Gamecube) to a DVD-RW. I put it in the wii, and (I have an older wii and darkcorp) it didn't load in the regular disk channel, neo gamma, or GC backup launcher. I google searched and thought I found my issue. I went and installed the HB browser followed by DVDx. DVDx had an error installing, something about a stub. Lame. Also, when I tried installing WiiMC, it failed and said something about accessing NANDs. At first, I thought I should start the process over, but apparently that isn't so simple. Please help.
did you install a cMIOS?

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you've installed a cMIOS (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=219243). If that doesn't work, burn the game to a DVD-R or +R, preferably the earlier.

z0wnage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, I installed the cMIOS you linked me, and it didn't do anything. I still get the stub error and "Unable to access NANDs". I tried to redo the process using the Modmii wizard, but I couldn't even download the files without getting errors for every single one. Nothing ever works for me.
frown.gif

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modmii errors: do you have .NET 3.5?
cMIOS: stub error doesn't make sense...they're should be a normal MIOS there that you should be able to overwrite....
DVD-RW: if you haven't already had luck using RW's, don't be surprised if you never get it to work....as mentioned in an earlier post, -R's preferrable, +R's will work if the drive isn't super old

what are you using to install wads?
what version of HBC are you on?
do you have IOS236 installed?

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Well, first thing, chances are if you followed any sort of recent guide, it would've linked you directly to getting Homebrew Channel 1.0.8. This latest version of the HBC eliminated the usage of DVDX, as in there is no point in having it, as a new exploit known as AHBPROT was developed (and this is installed alongside Homebrew Channel).

Second, have you installed a Trucha Bug'd IOS? If no, run the IOS236 Installer that is linked here and then see if you get NAND access. From there, you can then use WAD Managers to install cIOS, and a patch program to get cMIOS.

Final note, are you sure your Wii does not have a D3-2 drive? Any Wii purchased later than 2009 will have one, as well as all black and red Wii consoles. You cannot play DVD backups on Wii consoles with a D3-2 drive.

z0wnage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I installed the ios236. Still no NAND access on WiiMC. I did, however, get .NET 3.5 and will try the wizard tomorrow and re-do the whole process. If all else fails from there on, I'll get some DVD-Rs and see if that works. Thanks for the input.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
z0wnage said:
I installed the ios236. Still no NAND access on WiiMC. I did, however, get .NET 3.5 and will try the wizard tomorrow and re-do the whole process. If all else fails from there on, I'll get some DVD-Rs and see if that works. Thanks for the input.

What does ios236 have to do with Wiimc?
You should take note of what people are saying. You need the guidance.
Wii modding is VERY easy and, it takes only a few steps.
Don't use DARCORP.
To get the Wii to load backups from HDD and DVD-r will take only 10~15 minutes .

Try to get moddmii working. Follow the guide and enjoy your perfectly modded Wii.

These are the basics:
Get the HBC installed>Install ios236 on your Wii> install a CIOS using 236 to acces your Wii ( trucha )> Install a Cmios ( Wiipower's is higly recommended )
Get the apps on your SD card to load backups. ( neogamma for GC, one of the many usb loaders )
Done. 10 to 15 minutes well spent in your life. Without sweat and tears.

Doing this using/ following modmii makes everything a 1000 times easier and safe.

z0wnage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lol trust me, it's frustrating as all hell compared to my previous softmods (iPod and ps3). thanks for the guidance and I'll utilize your tips asap.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I partially agree with you. Compared to wii hacking, hacking a psp is a breeze (I almost felt disappointed by it).

But still...after reading your opening post, it was very clear you not only followed an outdated guide, but that you also hadn't bothered to find out what all the terms meant ('nand' and 'stub' are to wii hacking like 'steering wheel' and 'gas' are to a car). Suffice to say that's not the best way of going about things.
tongue.gif

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To fix the wiimc installer install the latest IOS 58 without any patches to it. I'meadiately after thaty remove the HBC restart the wii then reinstall it again. Run the wiimc installer and it should go.

For the other problems make sure you have a CIOS 249 installed before you run the MIOS patcher.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hells Guardian said:
To fix the wiimc installer install the latest IOS 58 without any patches to it. I'meadiately after thaty remove the HBC restart the wii then reinstall it again. Run the wiimc installer and it should go.

For the other problems make sure you have a CIOS 249 installed before you run the MIOS patcher.

Mios patcher is waninkoko's, wich is not recommended . Wiipowers Cmios is far better and has a lot of fixes for games ( Zelda WW etc. )
Take a look at the NEOGAMMA sticky thread under backuploading if you want to load gamecube games.

In order to load GC backups using Neogamma, you need Waninkoko's cios installed in slot 249 ( base 56 recommended )

You can down load a separate ios 58 installer ( tantric ) to get the ios. ( via homebrew browser also )

Still recommend Modmii, no need of Wifi, just all the files on your sd card and install with wadmanager. Simple.

Hells Guardian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Intresting though no the MIOS Patcher app was released by wiigator. Either way Wiigator or Wiipower's CMIOS are both great for the purpose.

z0wnage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Re-did the process and everything works fine BUT I still can't play my iso of Melee on my DVD-RW (Probably I just need a good DVD-R) or strangely the same iso on my flash drive...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    cearp @ cearp: It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space +1