Hacking so about how long does it actually take to install A9LH

deathblade200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I have been using SKY3DS+ and was planning to use it as long as I could to avoid going through the trouble of CFW but also liked that I had the option to put cubic ninja on it and install A9LH when ever I wanted to. with the new firmware though it seems like its time to install CFW. the main thing that has kept me from doing it is not the difficulty but the fact that you have to keep your device out of commission for many hours. I've heard between 4-8 hours which to me is an insane amount of time to be worried about it bricking. I am currently on a New 3DS with firmware 10.7 so can you guys give me ideas of how long I should expect it to take

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
at this point, no guide can beat plailect's guide. following everything to the letter takes less than an hour. plailect seems to like to exaggerate processes and time just to make sure noobs don't brick.

but even if you follow it to the dot, you still have a chance to brick, albeit very very very very slim, close to nothing.

deathblade200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at this point, no guide can beat plailect's guide. following everything to the letter takes less than an hour. plailect seems to like to exaggerate processes and time just to make sure noobs don't brick.

but even if you follow it to the dot, you still have a chance to brick, albeit very very very very slim, close to nothing.

ok thank you very much for the info

ApolloCheese

the shy guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
if you follow the guide carefully and do all the backups it will take some hours. plailect probably did some changes to speed things up but even without the downgrading process it took me around 4 hours.

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since OP is modding an N3DS, total time spent will be closer to two hours than one for two main reasons.

1. The larger NAND size of the N3DS will result in longer time spent dumping, flashing, and transferring NAND backups.
2. The One-Touch-Setup of OTPHelper takes about 2-3 times longer to complete on an N3DS than an O3DS.

reiyu

Canadian, eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since OP is modding an N3DS, total time spent will be closer to two hours than one for two main reasons.

1. The larger NAND size of the N3DS will result in longer time spent dumping, flashing, and transferring NAND backups.
2. The One-Touch-Setup of OTPHelper takes about 2-3 times longer to complete on an N3DS than an O3DS.
to a newcomer, it might be a more than an hour but definitely less than two. i've modded so much n3DSes to a9lh under an hour of service.
also, he has SKY+ which he can have CN on, which cuts the process by a whole lot.

deathblade200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

you would think the 2 extra cores would help make a big difference though I figured a new 3ds would actually be faster

if you follow the guide carefully and do all the backups it will take some hours. plailect probably did some changes to speed things up but even without the downgrading process it took me around 4 hours.

yeah most people seem to say around 4 hours which is why I have avoided it for so long

Last edited by deathblade200,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
should take you less than an hour to do it from scratch. 4 hours is overexaggerating.
First time can take up to 2/2 and half hours. Unless you can take in all of the information in one fell swoop. >> After that, it's no more than 40 minutes.

deathblade200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you would think the 2 extra cores would help make a big difference though I figured a new 3ds would actually be faster
First time can take up to 2/2 and half hours. Unless you can take in all of the information in one fell swoop. >> After that, it's no more than 40 minutes.

well I'm no newbie to hacking devices so the instructions aren't exactly the issue its just the length of the process that bothers me mainly because I hate worrying about the fact of it bricking. I was the same way back when I hacked my psp which also took like an hour or 2 to downgrade and everything. though at the same time I'll be learning exactly how the exploits and cfw work which will probably add some time on top of it

Last edited by deathblade200,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
well I'm no newbie to hacking devices so the instructions aren't exactly the issue its just the length of the process that bothers me mainly because I hate worrying about the fact of it bricking. though at the same time I'll be learning exactly how it works which will probably add some time on top of it
Just read everything carefully and follow it to a t.

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most of the time spent is backing up your SD card and making multiple SysNAND and EmuNAND backups. My first time (few months back) it took me about 4 hours (lots of stuff on my SD card, and had issues with compiling (no otphelper and SafeA9LHInstaller yet)). Did it a second time for a friend just last week and it took just over an hour. It's much faster and safer now imo.

Lush

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I personally like the "hacking" more than the games themselves. I enjoyed every minute of the a9lh install on my 2ds, o3ds, and n3ds. I did mine in the early days and bricked my n3ds, then I installed a hard mod, recovered, and did it again successfully. Although I'm sure I followed the guide, which had been updated several times and the tools are more mature, it could have still been a mistake on my part.

Reactions: MeowMeowMeow

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well I'm no newbie to hacking devices so the instructions aren't exactly the issue its just the length of the process that bothers me mainly because I hate worrying about the fact of it bricking. I was the same way back when I hacked my psp which also took like an hour or 2 to downgrade and everything. though at the same time I'll be learning exactly how the exploits and cfw work which will probably add some time on top of it
That's the exact reason why the guide says to dedicate 7 hours because people are impatient, don't read slowly, and mess up which results in a brick.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Following the guide on my own 2DS, took me little over an hour. Now I was a little reckless with that install and didn't always back things up.
Installing my boyfriend's 3DS took about 2 hours. But he was running a slow Class 4 and I was backing every step up to make sure everything was safe.

deathblade200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Following the guide on my own 2DS, took me little over an hour. Now I was a little reckless with that install and didn't always back things up.
Installing my boyfriend's 3DS took about 2 hours. But he was running a slow Class 4 and I was backing every step up to make sure everything was safe.

you talking about a class 4 says I should probably bring up the fact that I'm using a 32GB UHS micro sd it only has like 2GB of games on it though as most of my files are in the sky3ds

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, to the people who take an hour or two, they've probably done it more than once and already know what everything does and can jump around freely. Took me 3 hours on my first system I did. Took me around 1-2ish on every system I've done after for friends. I've even done 3 in one sitting...

Just read the guide, take it slow... Don't blame anyone if you mess up because you were trying to do it in one hour.

deathblade200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, to the people who take an hour or two, they've probably done it more than once and already know what everything does and can jump around freely. Took me 3 hours on my first system I did. Took me around 1-2ish on every system I've done after for friends. I've even done 3 in one sitting...

Just read the guide, take it slow... Don't blame anyone if you mess up because you were trying to do it in one hour.

trust me I don't want to rush it just want to know how painful it will be lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.