Homebrew SNES9x for Old 3DS

Midnight Locke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would getting a no-intro version of the rom work? I tried this, and it gave the same sound issue. It worked fine on earlier versions of the emulator, just not the latest.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Dunno if it has been tested already, but Street Fighter Alpha 2 runs full speed now.

Chun-li stage sound mixing is off, thought

Last edited by Osakasan,
Reactions: sj33

03bgood

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know how I can get the sound working on the custom injected SNES VC games from BlargSNES? They all run without sound on my o3DS; like Super Mario All-Stars, for example.

Last edited by 03bgood,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
why does this run better the pokect snes
because pocket snes was and prolly will never be optimised for o3ds.

I want to play SMRPG and Kirby Super Star at full speed!

Well KSS doesn't matter since the DS version exists but I want KDL3!
you'll need a n3ds and retroarch pocketsnes for that. sorry but theres really no way the o3ds will ever get those chip games to run anywhere near full speed.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
nintedo could have made snes vc for the old 3ds as well like an unofficial emulator runs games pretty well on the old 3ds

not exactly. this emulator only runs well because its taking shortcuts here an there. it sacrifices accuracy for performance. and nintendo doesn't want to do that. they want accurate emulation, which only the n3ds can shoulder.

granted, its usually no big deal for the consumer, they'd barely notice the difference. but its just how these things work is all.
when it comes to vc, the only thing truly not understandable is nintendo's insistence to keep on holding a 5 year old promise about early adopters being the only ones to ever get official gba games on their 3ds.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
when it comes to vc, the only thing truly not understandable is nintendo's insistence to keep on holding a 5 year old promise about early adopters being the only ones to ever get official gba games on their 3ds.

Maybe because they can't implement Miiverse features on them since it's backwards compatibility rather than emulation. Now we could refute this with the Wii games on Wii U, but those are not advertised as Virtual Console and are literally from the last gen.

----------------------

Also, for the sake of information i tested Street Fighter Alpha 2 again. It runs at full speed with no frameskipping whatsoever.

Midnight Locke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone ever tested out the Chrono Trigger issue? Just start a new game, go to the Truce Inn, try opening the sealed box, and then you'll notice that the music doesn't replay until you move to another section where another track is supposed to play. Wouldn't this count as an audio issue in the compatibility list?

Last edited by Midnight Locke,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Has anyone ever tested out the Chrono Trigger issue? Just start a new game, go to the Truce Inn, try opening the sealed box, and then you'll notice that the music doesn't replay until you move to another section where another track is supposed to play. Wouldn't this count as an audio issue in the compatibility list?
yeah, its an audio issue alright.
all music is gone after trying to open those magic chests.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
v0.51 released. With some small fixes:

- Hires mode 5. Now Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu, Air Strike Patrol is playable, somewhat. It uses alternate frame flickering the achieve the pseudo-hires effect. Some of you may not like it... but this seems like the most optimal (at least from a performance standpoint) of achieving hi-res that is readable (especially for the Japanese version of Seiken Densetsu). I earlier tried doing filtering, but the Japanese text was way too difficult to read.

Turns out that I couldn't really implement the sprite layering fixes in time. It will require me to re-think some of approach that we render sprites to the screen. I'll probably have a look at it when I have much more time available.

@Midnight Locke - Thanks for pointing it out. Unfortunately, I am not that familiar with the sound emulation part of SNES, and I've also kind of run out of time for this project. :(

@Osakasan - You are using the EUR version I suppose? If it's running at 50fps, there should be very little frame skips.

Attachments

• snes9x_3ds_v0.51.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 378
Last edited by bubble2k16,

Michierusama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v0.51 released. With some small fixes:

- Hires mode 5. Now Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu, Air Strike Patrol is playable, somewhat. It uses alternate frame flickering the achieve the pseudo-hires effect. Some of you may not like it... but this seems like the most optimal (at least from a performance standpoint) of achieving hi-res that is readable (especially for the Japanese version of Seiken Densetsu). I earlier tried doing filtering, but the Japanese text was way too difficult to read.

Turns out that I couldn't really implement the sprite layering fixes in time. It will require me to re-think some of approach that we render sprites to the screen. I'll probably have a look at it when I have much more time available.

@Midnight Locke - Thanks for pointing it out. Unfortunately, I am not that familiar with the sound emulation part of SNES, and I've also kind of running out of time for this project. :(

@Osakasan - You are using the EUR version I suppose? If it's running at 50fps, there should be very little frame skips.
Life takes its toll on us but the work you have done will be appreciated (in case you stop working on this emu). Its great to enjoy snes on my O3DSXL.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Reactions: astronautlevel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fellas
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    would you rather have a 9-5 desk job with poor pay or work for an intergalactic space militia with no guarantee of being paid?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    basically, normal boring job or halo and/or helldivers irl
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Lol. Have you heard about this?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I wish the people who make these emulators know the basic primer course on copyright and trademarks.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I wish the people who make these emulators know the basic primer course on copyright and trademarks.