ROM Hack Smash3DS - Updated ROM Hacking Guide

D

Deleted User

Sorry, I don't really feel like reading the entire thread so I have no idea if this was already answered or if there is a better place to go and ask this. As a test run for the stage texture hacks I am working on Colloseum. I imported a few different textures (like bricks over the stone) and then made every image black and white as part of a project I am working on. However, I am not sure where I went wrong. I exported the textures fine, but when I try to import (using Import All as suggested it) Ohana crashes. It did this a while back too when I was working on retexturing Master Hand. I am not sure of the cause, and even put each texture in their own folder and then tried import all using a single texture at a time to pinpoint the problem, but they all have the same problem. Any assistance is greatly appreciated, thanks.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I don't really feel like reading the entire thread so I have no idea if this was already answered or if there is a better place to go and ask this. As a test run for the stage texture hacks I am working on Colloseum. I imported a few different textures (like bricks over the stone) and then made every image black and white as part of a project I am working on. However, I am not sure where I went wrong. I exported the textures fine, but when I try to import (using Import All as suggested it) Ohana crashes. It did this a while back too when I was working on retexturing Master Hand. I am not sure of the cause, and even put each texture in their own folder and then tried import all using a single texture at a time to pinpoint the problem, but they all have the same problem. Any assistance is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Could you PM me the textures you are using? I won't be able to get to it until later tomorrow, but I can try to figure out the issue.

D

Deleted User

Could you PM me the textures you are using? I won't be able to get to it until later tomorrow, but I can try to figure out the issue.
Sure but if it means anything... I think it might be my photo editor because I just tried to import non-edited versions and they worked fine. Maybe I will try using a different editor first

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

yup that was it. Sorry for bothering you. But maybe you could include that paint.net is not the best for this process!

Or say that if u want to use PDN then edit the image in there but open the image in gimp, copy the edit from PDN, and then select "Overwrite [filename].png"

damn. getting into all of this makes me wish I hadn't formatted my computer for "slow performance" after working on a .obj to .mbn converter. i lost all of my research too.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: ih8ih8sn0w

Clouded Sun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this is weird the game is loading forever after selecting a stage anyidea why that could be happening?
What 3DS do you own? Firmware version? Are you using Smash-Selector? Cartridge or Download?

On o3ds, yes. On n3ds with a large, 32kb cluster size sd card, yes.
Why does performance decrease with cluster size increase?

D

Deleted User

So, I am very, very confused with the Custom Stage Textures section. How exactly do I get the 89 byte header. Any advice would be appreciated

AyanamiRei0

GBATemp's Resident Evangelion fanboy.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What 3DS do you own? Firmware version? Are you using Smash-Selector? Cartridge or Download?

I've set my cluster size to 64kb and it loads pretty fast

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I had a huge amount of lag everywhere with saltysd 0.9 when my 128gb sd card was formatted to 32kb cluster size (and boot times in general were over 15 seconds, with other issues). After formatting to 64kb cluster size, boot times dropped by 2 seconds, and saltysd was no longer laggy at all.

Yudowat

That one guy that shows up occasionally
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I had a huge amount of lag everywhere with saltysd 0.9 when my 128gb sd card was formatted to 32kb cluster size (and boot times in general were over 15 seconds, with other issues). After formatting to 64kb cluster size, boot times dropped by 2 seconds, and saltysd was no longer laggy at all.
My saltySD was fine a little while ago, but one day it just wasn't and has been slow ever since. Practically SaltySD with caching speeds. I've formatted to 64kb clusters multiple times but i dont know what I could've done wrong. What class is your SD card, and what program did you use to format?

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure but if it means anything... I think it might be my photo editor because I just tried to import non-edited versions and they worked fine. Maybe I will try using a different editor first

yup that was it. Sorry for bothering you. But maybe you could include that paint.net is not the best for this process!

Or say that if u want to use PDN then edit the image in there but open the image in gimp, copy the edit from PDN, and then select "Overwrite [filename].png"

damn. getting into all of this makes me wish I hadn't formatted my computer for "slow performance" after working on a .obj to .mbn converter. i lost all of my research too.
I haven't had issues with pdn for editing at all so far, but if you are having issues with that, then it might be an issue later on. @Yudowat can you update the op with the below spoiler please?
Tools you will need:
This zip (contains sm4sht3x.jar, etc1tool.exe, and old ohana3ds)
A hex editor (I recommend HxD because it's just great)
An image editor of your choice (if you need one for some reason, use gimp (people have had issues with paint.net, so it is not recommended. A workaround involves opening the texture in gimp and selecting overwrite [filename].png thanks @blujay for this.)
My saltySD was fine a little while ago, but one day it just wasn't and has been slow ever since. Practically SaltySD with caching speeds. I've formatted to 64kb clusters multiple times but i dont know what I could've done wrong. What class is your SD card, and what program did you use to format?
uhs-1 or whatever it is called (theoretical write speed is 48mbps). I used guiformat. It could just be the number of mods in one folder that you have.

So, I am very, very confused with the Custom Stage Textures section. How exactly do I get the 89 byte header. Any advice would be appreciated
There is a sample header in the spoiler at the bottom. You need to make tiny adjustments based on that you can produce a preview for the texture.

Last edited by ih8ih8sn0w, , Reason: who needs grammar

Yudowat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I haven't had issues with pdn for editing at all so far, but if you are having issues with that, then it might be an issue later on. @Yudowat can you update the op with the below spoiler please?
Tools you will need:
This zip (contains sm4sht3x.jar, etc1tool.exe, and old ohana3ds)
A hex editor (I recommend HxD because it's just great)
An image editor of your choice (if you need one for some reason, use gimp (people have had issues with paint.net, so it is not recommended. A workaround involves opening the texture in gimp and selecting overwrite [filename].png thanks @blujay for this.)
Added!
uhs-1 or whatever it is called (theoretical write speed is 48mbps). I used guiformat. It could just be the number of mods in one folder that you have.
Well I've got this SD card in 64gb, which looks to be the same specs as yours. Normal Smash loads 100% fine, saltySD with just css image changes loads at the same speed as a 500mb modpack.
ill try reformatting (again) but with guiformat this time and ill run a speed test of some sort too. then ill try using saltysd without any mods.

EDIT: 45 minutes later, we're still formatting

Last edited by Yudowat,
Reactions: ih8ih8sn0w

Yudowat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@ih8ih8sn0w If it isn't too much trouble, do you mind running H2testw on your SD card so you can compare with my speeds? (make a backup first, you might lose stuff on there because it writes stuff)
Code:
Warning: Only 3000 of 61151 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 26.3 MByte/s
Reading speed: 42.9 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4
As you can see, I only tested 3000MB instead of my full 64, but my read speeds seem fine to me, and saltySD doesn't write.

D

Deleted User

There is a sample header in the spoiler at the bottom. You need to make tiny adjustments based on that you can produce a preview for the texture.
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I did notice the sample header at the bottom. I am just confused because I did the following:
1. Exported all textures, edited all textures, and then imported them all back in.
2. Did the math with the offsets. (First: 0x4500 Last: 0x1E77F Difference: 0x1A27F Rounded: 0x20000)
I am stuck on the part with the 80 byte header. Maybe I am just stupid and don't understand.

And thanks for you help through this process

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
    +1
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my fingie hurt
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Why?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    hangnail thing I think
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ... that's rough buddy
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    peepee
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: peepee