Hacking Sm4shExplorer (Wii U only for now)

The_Marcster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Label: Sm4sh Explorer isn't recognizing my files
Sm4shexplorer version used: (0.04? 0.06?) 0.07.1
Game version: 228
Game region: EUR
Language used: German
Environment setting: Full dump from Wii U + 228 patch data from UWizard

Now for the description of the issue:
Description of the problem:
When I download patch 228 and place dt01/02 and ls in "content", then open Sm4sh Explorer and point it to the folder it is telling me that a "patch" folder seems to be missing, even though one exists in "content".
Did it ever work at all: When I perform the exact same procedure with patch 224, everything is working fine. I even tried to drag all of my 228 files in the 224 folder and replace everything, in case there were some files missing in the newest patch, but when I went to edit the files, the data was still from the old patch.

NA Howl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The meta.xml comes with the patch, if you download the patch, you have the meta.xml.

Im not exactly sure what's wrong with drag and drop in your case, but if it doesnt work, you can also move the mods directly within the workspace folder and then refresh with sm4shexplorer, it does the same thing.

Hellooo, I am also having a similar problem, being unable to drop files/folders into Sm4sh Explorer. However, I am running it through a wineskin so perhaps that is interrupting its full functionality.

Anyways, I figured if I am able to do manual enter the mods into the folders themselves instead of dropping them into the program, it would hopefully still work, but I when I drop them into the \workspace folder they generally don't appear and no noticeable change happens. Do you perhaps mean manually dropping the files into the source folder where all the dump files are?

thx in advance. =)

deinonychus71

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hellooo, I am also having a similar problem, being unable to drop files/folders into Sm4sh Explorer. However, I am running it through a wineskin so perhaps that is interrupting its full functionality.

Anyways, I figured if I am able to do manual enter the mods into the folders themselves instead of dropping them into the program, it would hopefully still work, but I when I drop them into the \workspace folder they generally don't appear and no noticeable change happens. Do you perhaps mean manually dropping the files into the source folder where all the dump files are?

thx in advance. =)

No. never, ever change anything from your source game. If you do it's gonna be really hard for people to help you if you mess up somewhere it won't be easy to help.
It looks like it might be a config issue, check the config file and make sure the workspace folder is correct.
I haven't tested it with wine, your best chance is to ask people who made it working with it (if any)

Also apologies for not being able to help lately, new job that takes all my free time. I didn't even have time to build my own texture mods so I'm probably more newbie than most of you with all the texid/texture/skin related problems.

KillzXGaming

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. never, ever change anything from your source game. If you do it's gonna be really hard for people to help you if you mess up somewhere it won't be easy to help.
It looks like it might be a config issue, check the config file and make sure the workspace folder is correct.
I haven't tested it with wine, your best chance is to ask people who made it working with it (if any)

Also apologies for not being able to help lately, new job that takes all my free time. I didn't even have time to build my own texture mods so I'm probably more newbie than most of you with all the texid/texture/skin related problems.
Hey i have a bit of an issue as CSPs take a long time to load, is there any way i could pack them all?

Edit: Now hey won't even load without backing out and re entering CSS.

Last edited by KillzXGaming,

RoyMaster4

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This mass-texture fix doesn't work for me. It starts on a character, then gives a few errors and auto-launches gedit in one of the py files. Seems like it wants to use gedit instead of python? Uploaded an image of the errors below.

EDIT: I just set .py files to use python34 instead of gedit by default and it ran... should work, I think.

Attachments

• texiderror.png
    texiderror.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 313
Last edited by RoyMaster4,

deinonychus71

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The guy needs to be more specific about the files in his workspace, or even share his workspace folder so that people who know how to do it will know what file crashes.
If people can't reproduce his error, then it likely has to do with his environment (source game corrupted, wrong installation, I dunno we've seen everything...)
If nothing in the logs and no crash (very very weird) then there's still the option to download the source code + vs studio and debug.

I'll do it this weekend if I can get his files AND if I have time, I make no promise.

The tool itself is quite cool and could be added as a plugin sometimes.

Hey i have a bit of an issue as CSPs take a long time to load, is there any way i could pack them all?

Edit: Now hey won't even load without backing out and re entering CSS.
I'm pretty sure I pushed a manual packing feature in one of the last version so that should help. But as I said I haven't tried any other modding than music stuff.

Last edited by deinonychus71,

RoyMaster4

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, apparently the script doesn't work? It says it works, but re-compiling after and putting on my SD card, it has no effect in-game. I still have a Ganondorf texture with a red head, and I still end up with clone fights. I'm using python 2.7 as I'm supposed to...

EDIT: Apparently the 'date modified' did not change. There's no errors when running the script, though, so I'm confused as to what the issue is.

Munomario777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@RoyMaster4

I honestly have no idea what gedit is, but if it's set as the default program for opening .py files, it'd make sense that that kind of error would occur. Make sure that Python 2.7.11 is set as the default program for running .py files.

Could you send me a copy of your workspace folder? That'd be helpful for finding the issue. Also, make sure that the script is in the right place – all the files from the download should be placed in Sm4shExplorer's base folder, and your workspace folder should be called "workspace." Otherwise, the script will not be able to find your skin files.

RoyMaster4

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I set python 2.7.12 (Does the .12 vs .11 really matter?) as the default for .py files. The 6 files (including the readme) are in the same folder as Sm4shExplorer. The script recognizes which characters I do and don't have skins for, the issue is simply that it's not editing the files (date modified did not change).

I'll upload my workspace folder as soon as I can, but my internet speed at my current location is very slow...

EDIT: Workspace folder: https://mega.nz/#!FMJy2DZI!UlFC13MNVS7-AFDB682GJjuQzkDw9KEWAnfiQzb0DcE

KillzXGaming

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure I pushed a manual packing feature in one of the last version so that should help. But as I said I haven't tried any other modding than music stuff.
Yeah i know but you cannot pack all chr13 files. Example:

6IoQLps.png

The default ones get packed but extra ones do not.

scoutenay

Trophies
XP
Country
This is really frustrating! I've overcome a few problems myself and now I was so close to getting custom smash music and this happens. I have built the mod, but it didn't send it to the SD card automatically, and I clicked "Send to SD (experimental) -> release", and it came up with this error "WARN No SD card containing either an installation of Loadiine or SDCafiine for Sm4sh was found."

EDIT:Folders in my SD card:
private->Nintendo Wii U->lib->photo->phtcache.bin
wiiu ->apps ->ddd->ddd.elf,icon.png,meta.xml
->homebrew_launcher->homebrew_launcher.elf,icon.png,meta.xml
->loadiine_gx2->loadiine_gx2.elf
->games->EMPTY

The must-know in order to help properly:
Label
: WARN No SD card containing either an installation of Loadiine or SDCafiine for Sm4sh was found.
Sm4shexplorer version used: (0.7.1)
Game version: 288
Game region: EUR
Language used: English
Environment setting: I'm not sure what this means, I have dumped my smash 4 onto my laptop.

Now for the description of the issue:
Description of the problem: I followed these tutorials: http://loadiine.ovh/gate.php?cat=getstarted,
and
Power Marshall's tutorial on YouTube on how to add music slots to smash, I got all the way to applying the patch to my SD card (SDHC, SanDisk 8GB)
Did it ever work at all:
No, I haven't ever got custom music on to work on smash 4.
Screens:
upload_2016-7-17_16-53-13.png

Last edited by scoutenay,

RoyMaster4

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never had sm4sh explorer copy to my SD card, but I never attempted either... You should be able to just copy the correct folders from export/release/content into the proper location on your SD card.

Lockerzpoints2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an issue. I created a thread on this but I probably should have come here for help first. I've just been going all around figuring out the problem.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/smash-bros-u-editing-ui_character_db-bin.434652/

Basically, I'm having some trouble. I'm trying to edit the ui_character_db.bin file inside this pack but it's not allowing me to do so. I'm getting: "ERROR Error extracting 'data(us_en)/param/ui/ui_character_db.bin', error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I would also like to know can you edit the ui_character_db.bin file from someone else's mod pack? I've seen people say they edit other mod packs all the time to include what they want. I just need to edit that file and I can get things going.

scoutenay

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I've made a new folder under games and copied everything over from export, but I couldn't see any of the new music when I checked My Music.
Here's the folder I put everything in:

E:\wiiu\games\vol\content
(contains patch folder and sound folder)

Munomario777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@scoutenay

I believe this issue is caused by you not having used your SD card for modding before. The first time you copy your mods to an SD card, you'll have to copy them manually. To do this, copy the folders inside sm4shexplorer 0.07.1/export/release/content into a folder called "0005000010144F00" at the root of your SD card.

@Lockerzpoints2

If the modpack is packed already, I don't believe it's possible to edit the files, including ui_character_db.bin. You'll have to download an unpacked version of the modpack if you want to add your own content. There's also, I've heard, a way to edit packed modpacks by tricking Sm4shExplorer into thinking that the mod is an official patch to the game, but I don't know how that works.

RoyMaster4

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on the mod pack. You probably need an unpacked version of the mod pack (otherwise the ui_character_db.bin file is within a 'packed' file). It might be possible to do it with a packed version? But I'm not sure how...

EDIT: Scoutenay, you put the folders into the wrong location. Follow what Munomario777 said above me.

Lockerzpoints2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Munomario777
Thanks. Is there a way to unpack a mod pack I currently have? I looked on reddit and someone said you're able to edit an already edited mod pack in a weird way. By putting it in extract or export (forgot which) then renaming it from patch to release. Doesn't sound like it works but I'd really like it if i could trick Sm4shExplorer into thinking it's an official patch.

@RoyMaster4
Yeah it's in the pack. I did a test because I was wondering what the problem was because i just had to edit that ui_character_db.bin file. I'll keep looking into it but your help is appreciated.

Also, if I am unable to edit the ui_character_db.bin (which I hope isn't the case), does anyone know how to combine someone else's mod pack with yours?

scoutenay

Trophies
XP
Country
I am from Europe though, so would that be 0005000010145000? I've tried:
E:\0005000010145000\patch
E:\0005000010145000\sound
And I couldn't find my music.
I could try the US number

EDIT:Are these names for songs ok?
snd_bgm_Banjo_Click_Clock_Woods.nus3bank
snd_bgm_Banjo_Final_Battle.nus3bank

or do I need to rename them to something like:
snd_bgm_A11_Banjo_Click_Clock_Woods.nus3bank
snd_bgm_A12_Banjo_Final_Battle.nus3bank

EDIT: Now I'm really confused. Sm4sh explorer used sdcafiine to add my mod automatically, it added 0 files, and it still doesn't work

Last edited by scoutenay,

KillzXGaming

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Munomario777
Thanks. Is there a way to unpack a mod pack I currently have? I looked on reddit and someone said you're able to edit an already edited mod pack in a weird way. By putting it in extract or export (forgot which) then renaming it from patch to release. Doesn't sound like it works but I'd really like it if i could trick Sm4shExplorer into thinking it's an official patch.

@RoyMaster4
Yeah it's in the pack. I did a test because I was wondering what the problem was because i just had to edit that ui_character_db.bin file. I'll keep looking into it but your help is appreciated.

Also, if I am unable to edit the ui_character_db.bin (which I hope isn't the case), does anyone know how to combine someone else's mod pack with yours?
To unpack a mod first open the smash bros that sm4sh explorer uses. Put the patch folder of smash in another folder, then paste the patch folder of the mod pack in and sm4sh explorer will think it is the patch. Opeing the program won't show edited files in green but you can still extract what you want from t.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: