Hardware sleephack not working properly for some games?

• Thread starter Deleted-236924
  • Start date
  • Views 2,359
  • Replies 4
D

Deleted-236924

OP
I was patching my games with sleephack before putting them on my EZ-Flash IV, and it sounded like it wasn't working for some games.

The Legend of Zelda - The Minish Cap: Makes the game crash whenever I press A to get past the title screen. The unpatched ROM I have worked fine.

Mother 3: This one is funny; when you patch Mother 3 withsleephack, the ROM becomes just a little too big for the NOR chip. ._.

Super Mario Advance 2/Super Mario Advance 4: sleep mode just won't activate when I press L+R+A and it won't soft reset when I press the right button combination.

Does anyone experience similar issues with these games?

D

Deleted-236924

OP
They do, but there's this thing about EZ-Flash IV that breaks the original in-game Sleep Mode for games that have it which makes the games wake up instantly.

Pretty sure I'm using Kuwanger's, as the sleephack I have patches in the EZ4 Soft Reset.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, some games don't work right with my edit of Dwedit's sleephack, either crashing (Minish Cap, for one) or the sleep/reset not working (SMA4)--the exact technical details of either I'm not entirely sure of, but for the latter I'm almost certain it has to do with the way sleephack tries to patch for keyinput not managing to catch/patch every place it should (although neither does the EZ4 patcher, but sleephack seems to do a better job generally). Btw, you did you mean L+R+Start for sleep, right?

In any case, as much as Dwedit's sleephack was meant to be used on lots of games, I've only used my edit of it as a stop gap for games that otherwise don't work properly with EZ4's patching because of the above mentioned issues. AFAIK, Zelda and SMA4 both have built-in sleep modes and EZ4's soft reset works fine with them. And as with Mother 3, you can manual hex edit/fix sleep mode for a variety of games.

So, yea, it's a known issue. Sleephack is far from perfect, but it's very good when it works. :) Unfortunately, without custom patching there's no real way to make every game work. Such isn't impossible. It's just a lot of boring work to go through and fix/verify every game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: