Gaming Skyrim

drobb

Hunter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know im late to the party with this game, but i just really havent had the time to play it. honestly i probably still wont have the time to dedicate to it and just play it from time to time. can anyone suggest some of the best mods, where to get, and how to install. also any tips, tricks and or advice for a first time elder scrolls player is more then welcome. ive actually had this for months and am just now getting to it at all, ive also had oblivion forever and havent ever really played it either, i actually have 2 copies of it for 360 (goy) and 1 for pc. oh well.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For mods, go to Skyrim Nexus, register and download the Nexus Mod Manager first. That is a really helpful tool to keep your mods folder kind of clean. Try to use it as much as possible, a lot of popular mods support it.

As for the best mods, just use the top files function on that site, it'll help you a lot. There really are thousands of mods that you may find good, it's very subjective.

General tips on the TES series, quicksave quicksave quicksave. It saves you from soooooooooo much trouble.

Reactions: 2 people

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel is absolutely correct. We cannot stress the quicksave option enough. It should become as common as breathing. You should save before you walk through most doors, and any time you're about to pickpocket or steal something risky.
TES games have lots of bugs develop random features of awesomeness, some of which are so awesome that the game is incapable of showing them to you, causing it to faint from excitement.

The rest of my recommendations have no basis apart from how I have played Morrowind and Oblivion.
Join the Mages and Thieves guilds.
Jump everywhere you go. And fall off of things. If you live, it's quite helpful. Hope you saved before you jumped, though.
Shiny thing? Steal that shit.
Destruction and Restoration skills are must-haves for all travelers. I also recommend alchemy, but it's rather tedious.
Somewhere in the game you'll find a lockpick that you can't break. Jump through any hoop you have to in order to get it.
Main quest? There's time for that some other day. (500 hours of Morrowind. Never completed the main quest)
ENCHANTMENT! First thing you enchant is a sword with soul trap. (1 second, on strike) Gather up as many soul gems as you can get, then start using the sword to fill them up, and then go make even more enchanted items. At the very least they sell for a pretty penny, and if you stole the soulgem that you used in the enchantment your profit margin is even higher.
If at any point you find yourself hacking through a deep, labyrinthine dungeon with many levels, and you weren't sent there by a quest: turn around. You're about to screw up a future quest.
When in doubt: UESP.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Satangel is absolutely correct. We cannot stress the quicksave option enough. It should become as common as breathing. You should save before you walk through most doors, and any time you're about to pickpocket or steal something risky.
TES games have lots of bugs develop random features of awesomeness, some of which are so awesome that the game is incapable of showing them to you, causing it to faint from excitement.

The rest of my recommendations have no basis apart from how I have played Morrowind and Oblivion.
Join the Mages and Thieves guilds.
Jump everywhere you go. And fall off of things. If you live, it's quite helpful. Hope you saved before you jumped, though.
^ Acrobatics have been removed from Skyrim
Shiny thing? Steal that shit.
^ Just be sure you can use it yourself, or you can sell it to a fence, or you have a house you can store it until you can find a fence. For the love of all that is good and holy do NOT place items in containers that do not belong to you. They may stay there for a good while, but when the game decides to refresh that area, you are going to lose your stuff.
Destruction and Restoration skills are must-haves for all travelers. I also recommend alchemy, but it's rather tedious.
Somewhere in the game you'll find a lockpick that you can't break. Jump through any hoop you have to in order to get it.
^ Without giving away many spoilers, you get some pretty neat perks for returning said lock pick. Just be sure to use it as much as you can before then, because you can't get it back.
Main quest? There's time for that some other day. (500 hours of Morrowind. Never completed the main quest)
ENCHANTMENT! First thing you enchant is a sword with soul trap. (1 second, on strike) Gather up as many soul gems as you can get, then start using the sword to fill them up, and then go make even more enchanted items. At the very least they sell for a pretty penny, and if you stole the soulgem that you used in the enchantment your profit margin is even higher.
^ Conjuration has a perk that you can attain for conjured weapons that automatically cast soul trap with every hit. Very helpful.
If at any point you find yourself hacking through a deep, labyrinthine dungeon with many levels, and you weren't sent there by a quest: turn around. You're about to screw up a future quest.
^ Skyrim is pretty forgiving with this. If you retrieve an item from a quest, you can just hand it in right there during the quest acceptance dialog. There is even dialog specifically for that. Others, you need special items to even continue, so all in all it's kind of hard to screw up future quests.
When in doubt: UESP.

Also, while arrows aren't as rare as advertised during E3, Conjuration has a skill called Bound Bow that when cast, comes with 100 arrows. Way more than you can even use before the spell wears off.

Reactions: 1 person

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^ Acrobatics have been removed from Skyrim
:( But I liked levelling up from failed suicides....
^ Just be sure you can use it yourself, or you can sell it to a fence, (which is why the thieves guild is a necessity) or you have a house you can store it until you can find a fence. For the love of all that is good and holy do NOT place items in containers that do not belong to you. They may stay there for a good while, but when the game decides to refresh that area, you are going to lose your stuff.
Damn good advice. This is true of Oblivion as well. I made that mistake exactly one time.
^ Without giving away many spoilers, you get some pretty neat perks for returning said lock pick. Just be sure to use it as much as you can before then, because you can't get it back.
Open ALL THE LOCKS!....and then maybe I'll consider giving it back.
^ Conjuration has a perk that you can attain for conjured weapons that automatically cast soul trap with every hit. Very helpful.
Oooohhhh, I hadn't heard that.
^ Skyrim is pretty forgiving with this. If you retrieve an item from a quest, you can just hand it in right there during the quest acceptance dialog. There is even dialog specifically for that. Others, you need special items to even continue, so all in all it's kind of hard to screw up future quests.
'Bout damn time that was fixed.
Also, while arrows aren't as rare as advertised during E3, Conjuration has a skill called Bound Bow that when cast, comes with 100 arrows. Way more than you can even use before the spell wears off.
While cool, I can see why some people say that Skyrim is rather dumbed-down...

drobb

Hunter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well thanks for all the advice. altho some of it comes a little to late, (quicksave) i accidently stole a potion it think it was, from the guy who you escape with sister or something in the house they let you use. now im stuck fighting 3 guys who totally just kick my ass every time ive tried. :(

Reactions: 1 person

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you might be able to yeild by sheathing your weapon, if not then run for the door and run to escape them
you will still have a bounty in that area though

you can also try the auto save (there should be 3 of them which save a different times)

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing to stress: Don't level non-combat skills too early, as enemies scale with your level. Trust me, goddamn grizzly bears'll come out of nowhere and rip your 15 Light-Armor, 15 One-handed ass to shreds before you even get a chance to piss yourself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye