Hacking Sky3DS or Gateway on New 3DS XL (9.7)?

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I'll make this as simple as it can possibly be for every regular user.

Look at your 3DS system settings. Is it 9.2 or lower? Get a Gateway for sure. Is it 9.3 or higher? Get a Sky3DS for sure.

Reactions: RahFah

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
In your opinion, should I wait for Gateway to find an exploit?

Short answer, get a sky3ds. Gateway won't find a new exploit (mainly in New 3DS) soon enough.

Long answer, if you don't want to (or can't) trade your console, get a sky3ds, if you can trade your update console and get a outdated one, you'll be able to run gateway.
Remember that if you want to get a outdated console, but had bought items at eShop you're going to need both consoles to do a system transfer.

Ichigo1000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For real thank you i was going to buy Cubic Ninja to use gateway in my N3DS but when i read your comment i got Cubic Ninja in my Sky3DS and use it to boot Gateway in N3DS :)
Wuttt so you mean sky3ds boot as gateway? Or just make gateway usable on 9.7 etc?

Hero Q8

Trophies
XP
Wuttt so you mean sky3ds boot as gateway? Or just make gateway usable on 9.7 etc?

like i say gateway need cubic ninja to work in N3DS but i have SkY3DS i just Got Cubic Ninja backup Inside SKY3DS and install what gateway need

Now My N3DS can Boot Gateway or , ( Boot NTR CFW and play backup games using SKY3DS )

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a New 3DS 9.0-9.2, Gateway relies on a bug in Cubic Ninja (or Zelda: OoT) to be able to run its launcher. The Sky3DS is able to run Cubic Ninja to be able to take advantage of that bug to reach the launcher. Once the launcher is reached, you can install things to be able to reach the launcher without Cubic Ninja or Sky3DS. This does not make a Gateway card useable on a system with sysNand past 9.2, unfortunately.

Sky3DS works, to my knowledge, by mimicing the target game as completely as it can. The 3DS cannot see a difference between a physical copy of a game, and a Sky3DS running the game, which is why it's able to still work even on 9.7. The downside of that method is that there's no way to send commands to the card, which is why it has a physical button to cycle through games. Gateway works by running its own code to modify the system, allowing for things like running unsigned code, adding the game menu with Select, emulating a separate copy of your NAND memory, and so on, which is why it can't be used on system versions above 9.2.

In order to be able to be used on 9.7, the Gateway team will have to find a new security hole that will allow them to get into the system internals on that version, which is very difficult and tends to be somewhat luck-based. There's no telling when or if such a hole will be found. If your system version is already past 9.2, you are most likely better off getting a Sky3DS.

As far as the 9.7 support goes for Gateway, that applies to support for emuNand up to 9.7 on Old 3DS. New 3DS still only supports emuNand up to 9.5, and both systems must not have their sysNand above 9.2. sysNand is the system memory physically inside the 3DS, while emuNand is a separate copy that resides on the system's SD card, so it can be updated and used by the Gateway card. That lets you get new features without being forced to move past a system version that can be exploited. sysNand has to stay on a lower version so you can reach the emuNand, since when the system powers on, it starts with sysNand.

I hope this helps explain some of the workings of the cards, and why things are set up the way they are. If you still have any questions, I'd be happy to do my best to answer them.

Reactions: Riton

wheato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the blue button feels cheap

Really? It doesn't feel "cheap" to me. It just feels like a regular plastic button. Doesn't feel like something you could break easily, but it's definitely not made to a really high quality.

My SKY3DS cartridge is a bit rough where the plastic joins together, like the edges weren't smoothed down properly after the plastic was cut to its shape. It's not sharp, just slightly bumpy. The build quality isn't fantastic, but it's by no means terrible. The MicroSD slot is a good fit, making a MicroSD card easy to insert and remove. The cartridge also slots perfectly into the 3DS, without the need to find any sweet spot or wiggle it about at all.

wheato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If the blue button ever comes off, you can always just press the button inside with your stylus.

It's like Nintendo knew we may need to press a hard to reach button on a device used to piracy, so they supplied us with a stylus just incase. They're so thoughtful. :P

Reactions: NuttyS

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3DS. Fin.

You're on sysNAND 9.7.

Either you'll need to buy a new N3DSXL with FW 9.2??? or below

or...

Sky3DS. Only thing that works right now on your FW.

Unless Supercard gets their act in gear... which will be forever...

Oddly, I find that the Sky3DS is better built than the GW Red/Blue cards. Yes, the button sux. They really ran out of ideas on that one. But at least it didn't split open on me unlike my GW carts.

Kuifa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sky3DS. Fin.

You're on sysNAND 9.7.

Either you'll need to buy a new N3DSXL with FW 9.2??? or below

or...

Sky3DS. Only thing that works right now on your FW.

Unless Supercard gets their act in gear... which will be forever...

Oddly, I find that the Sky3DS is better built than the GW Red/Blue cards. Yes, the button sux. They really ran out of ideas on that one. But at least it didn't split open on me unlike my GW carts.
How did they ''split'' on you? Didn't you just ''accidentally'' updated your sysNAND and had no choice but to get a Sky3DS?

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. Where have you been? No... lots happened since then. (and they yelled at me when I posted about it, see? This is why I do that...)

I have one of those 3rd party rip-off 18 cart gem cases that Nintendo tried pushing on Club members... when I tried to put my Red/Blue carts in, the tops split off/open. Just pop them back together and be careful. They're very thin. The Sky3DS isn't as bad, but damn near close. The Blue Button has always bothered me. Mine wobbles around a bit and sometimes I worry it'll break soon (but not yet!). And stickers will be stickers... why GW puts one on each side of Red Card boggles my mind... just waiting for inside/bottom sticker to peel off.

I still love my Sky3DS, but am having fun trying to figure out GW. Having eShop games is nice, but I still admit that the Sky3DS is more "user-friendly". Very excited about future Sky3DS + GW projects that already seem to be popping up (savedata transfers and such).

So for those GW vs Sky3DS jerks out there *ahem*, both.

In fact, having the Sky3DS really helped me when downgrading/backing-up/upgrading my sysNAND. Now I have sysNAND backups of 4.2, 6.2, 8.1 and 9.2 with emuNAND on 9.7. rxTools was nice, but now that 3.2.1 is out, I'm very satisfied (although rxTools will hold a special place in my heart for future workarounds).

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just ordered a sky3ds. The cheap button feedback I'm reading makes me feel a bit weary.

Relax. Just be more concerned about it working at all. If the Blue LED blinks, you're golden. And remember, format mSD in FAT32 before you even put it through Diskwriter. You'll be okay. Oh, and don't forget you need to update both template and SETTINGS.INI file for Diskwriter now.

We a had a few bad Sky3DS cartridges. Some would auto-cycle while other would work in any system but the OP's system. So do keep your invoice/receipts. They were the exceptions, so you'll be alright. And of course, holler if it isn't...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and I used neither my phone or my pc today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I was out for most of the afternoon
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall...