Not open for further replies.

Sir-Fritz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So i just got some email from costello (who i now know his real name
smileipb2.png
) saying gbatemp has been hacked and my pass was stolen. How did this happen and do we get compensation
yaypsp.gif
? Also more importantly did this happen or is this some sick hoax
frown.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DaMummy said:
do we at least get some compromise gift? something like "i go to gbatemp.net for all my console hacking and all i got was this lousy tshirt" shirt?
The "GBAtemp sig cover-up 2009" medals are being processed as we speak.
ninja.gif

nickbaker50

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm one of the ones who was hacked. The worst part is I use the same info (including pass) on every account I make.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ProtoKun7 said:
DaMummy said:
do we at least get some compromise gift? something like "i go to gbatemp.net for all my console hacking and all i got was this lousy tshirt" shirt?
The "GBAtemp sig cover-up 2009" medals are being processed as we speak.
ninja.gif

I really hope so XD

zeromac

Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The good thing is this was only a small amount of people and it wasn't anything more major like site deletion or something like that.
But guys don't forget that it is Tempmas!
smile.gif
Try not to let this ruin it, change your password let Costello deal with it and lets be happy
smile.gif

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ahhh... this sucks, i used the same password for absolutely everything... so i had to search all over changing it. this is especially bad for websites that i ordered things from... or my paypal account!! they better not have any of my credit info. but seriously, who would target GBAtemp anyways? isn't there a better forum to hack? hah, when i saw the PM from costello i was all "OH CRAP!!!! what am I in trouble for???" but i was ok... i guess. as well i did get the same e-mail from costello about 4 times, so i thought it might be a scam. sucks that it was real, hope you guys patch the "leaky roof"

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Erm. Hey guys? Account hacking sucks and all, but even if you use ONE password for all sites you visit, it's a bad idea to ever say that. And then especially mention other sites (paypal, being one of the major ones), that's not a good idea.

I mean, it's not against any specific rules here, but i'd recommend going back and editing/changing your posts if you'd rather not have other, possibly more malicious people trying to snag your personal info.

Just a thought
smile.gif

jbloggs

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nickbaker50 said:
I'm one of the ones who was hacked. The worst part is I use the same info (including pass) on every account I make.

QUOTE(baffle-boy @ Dec 16 2009, 05:29 AM) ahhh... this sucks, i used the same password for absolutely everything... so i had to search all over changing it. this is especially bad for websites that i ordered things from... or my paypal account!! they better not have any of my credit info. but seriously, who would target GBAtemp anyways? isn't there a better forum to hack? hah, when i saw the PM from costello i was all "OH CRAP!!!! what am I in trouble for???" but i was ok... i guess. as well i did get the same e-mail from costello about 4 times, so i thought it might be a scam. sucks that it was real, hope you guys patch the "leaky roof"

Why would you feel the need to announce that in an open public forum in turn making yourselves even bigger targets
blink.gif
wacko.gif

You need to check out -> how-to-securely-manage-all-your-passwords

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
jbloggs said:
nickbaker50 said:

QUOTE(baffle-boy @ Dec 16 2009, 05:29 AM) ahhh... this sucks, i used the same password for absolutely everything... so i had to search all over changing it. this is especially bad for websites that i ordered things from... or my paypal account!! they better not have any of my credit info. but seriously, who would target GBAtemp anyways? isn't there a better forum to hack? hah, when i saw the PM from costello i was all "OH CRAP!!!! what am I in trouble for???" but i was ok... i guess. as well i did get the same e-mail from costello about 4 times, so i thought it might be a scam. sucks that it was real, hope you guys patch the "leaky roof"

Why would you feel the need to announce that in an open public forum in turn making yourselves even bigger targets
blink.gif
wacko.gif
Kinda had the same thought...not exactly a masterful move
rolleyes.gif

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
WildWon said:
Erm. Hey guys? Account hacking sucks and all, but even if you use ONE password for all sites you visit, it's a bad idea to ever say that. And then especially mention other sites (paypal, being one of the major ones), that's not a good idea.

I mean, it's not against any specific rules here, but i'd recommend going back and editing/changing your posts if you'd rather not have other, possibly more malicious people trying to snag your personal info.

Just a thought
smile.gif
+1

I never, ever use the same password twice.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Think this guy used a keylogger? if thats the case you will need to check your computers for it and clean it or all your personal information is under threat.

If it is a keylogger it wont matter if you change your password he will still be able to tell what you changed it to. All it takes is for you to click a dodgy link to get infected by one of them, I'm not saying this is exactly what happend but I would look for one on my pc just incase.

DozerGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would this affect other sites you belong to? How would they know what other sites you belong to, Google? Then try the password you use here?

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DozerGuy said:
Why would this affect other sites you belong to? How would they know what other sites you belong to, Google? Then try the password you use here?
Exactly. Chances are that they could use the same username and password. Not always the case.

Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
Trophies
XP
Country
India
ProtoKun7 said:
DozerGuy said:
Exactly. Chances are that they could use the same username and password. Not always the case.
if people are mad enough to keep the username and password same for all sites they visit,then it can be a problem to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 16 is becoming bare minimum for today's gaymes +1