Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gallymimu

EE Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So no fix for the "failed to find cia info" thing?

people have had good luck changing entry points (menuhax being most reliable) and launching ftbrony prior to launching sysupdater. But, success is mixed. For instance it doesn't work when I try it :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have games on my 3DS like Fire Emblem and Smash Bros. If I downgrade, will those be recoverable?
if you bought them you will be able to redownload them after relinking your NNID (if you format your 3ds before downgrade). Games that require higher firmware than 9.2 might not run.

Also be careful to backup your savegames with savedatafiler or SVDT

Senoue

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
people have had good luck changing entry points (menuhax being most reliable) and launching ftbrony prior to launching sysupdater. But, success is mixed. For instance it doesn't work when I try it :)

if you bought them you will be able to redownload them after relinking your NNID (if you format your 3ds before downgrade). Games that require higher firmware than 9.2 might not run.
Radical, thanks. I will definitely give this a try. Another question is, do I just put the updates folder in my SD? I was checking the files to see if they matched the hash and it didn't seem like any matched.

Kafke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good for you, given the high failure rates, inconsistency of launching the tool, loading the CIAs, and softbricking without assurance of cause and only speculatory solutions.... THAT is UNSTABLE. Just because YOU got 10 soft bricks in a row doesn't make anything stable.

Anyway, I presume you've tried all the possible fixes:
- remove SD card before turning on
- format n3ds before downgrade
- check MD5 and use terracopy or whatever it's called to move them (these BTW are pretty pointless things to check since file systems and zip files have built in CRC checks)
- use original SD card that came with n3ds

The downgrading itself is stable, since it's just sysupdater. The kernel exploit is obviously unstable and takes some time to get into. As for the solutions, I've tried them all, with the exception of formatting the console itself.

ddurdle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i have succeeded downgrade n3ds LL japan but it show fw 9.1 not 9.2 is it normal?

Finished downgrading my N3DS 10.3J using the 9.2 set (f46677696ed4bf0e182de5a8168b7542 9.2.0-20J(Full)_n3DS.zip). Shows up downgraded to 9.1.0-20J. I'm happy.

It worked on the second try, using the ftpony trick. First time trying to load sysupdater, black screen, second time worked. Far cry from spending all day updating my US console. The ftpony trick really seems to work :)

RMZK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Success at first attempt, I'm not saying that it is 100% safe but here are some of the things that can help.
-Small Micro SD card (2-4gb) I used the one that came with my n3ds

-Update to 10.3 and format console

-Format SD card with SD formatter (Official tool made by the SD Association)

-In SD Formatter tool choose full format (overwrite) and Format size adjustment

-Copy all the files one by one to the SD with Teracopy

-Check the hashes of the FW rar with the site provided by the tutorial

-Unrar all files one by one with 7zip

-Delete rars in the SD

-install MenuHax and then go again into the app and delete pressing x (it will delete only exdata)

-Turn off the console and coldboot into hbl with menuhax

-Open FTbrony and spam b to exit as soon as possible (L+R+down+B also works sometimes)

-Open SysUpdater and press Y

-Cross your fingers

if done correctly you will have your N3DS on 9.2 without having to remove the SD because you deleted the ExData folder before Downgrading

Good luck, I had in mind the complete loss of my console. If you are not brave enought or you feel like you don't understand
what you are doing, please don't try

12528390_1126955737329413_1563382413_o.jpg

Last edited by RMZK,
Reactions: ddurdle

ddurdle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So no fix for the "failed to find cia info" thing?

Run ftpony and quickly exit when you see the pony (press B), then immediately start the sysupgrader. This error went away using this method on both my consoles. Was happening with the error all day prior.

SunTea07

K-POP / Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Guys is my 3ds safe to turn off it freezes when i press y nothing happens L+r+Dpad down + b doestn even work.

solitonmedic

Double Trouble
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Success! I got 9.2 on my New 3DS!!

All you have to do is quickly boot into FTBrony and back to SysUpdater (without out HBL connecting to the internet!!).

Guys is my 3ds safe to turn off it freezes when i press y nothing happens L+r+Dpad down + b doestn even work.

It's safe to turn it off.

rudyzhou2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Successfully downgraded to 9.2 from 9.5 n3ds xl. What worked for me is switching the sd card used (I swapped from a 32 gb sandisk c10 to a c4 4gb toshiba included in the original n3ds xl console).

Used memhax as entry point and worked on the second try! (The first try was a black screen when booting into sysupdater, which I suspect is a kernel crash upon injection while cia errors are actually errors trying to access the file inside the sd)

With my sandisk c10 card, i kept getting cia error or getting stuck on loading cia (My guess is that sysUpdater / nand update may be a bit picky regarding sd cards much like the earlier versions of sky3ds firmware loader in the early days... certain brands/size sd cards always have trouble writing/reading/working with sky3ds).

I used windows 10 x64, and formatted using fat32 quick default options.

Updateed to 9.5 emunand and injected FBI manually. Tested Fireemblem IF, Monster Hunter v9, Bravely Default and a bunch of other smaller games... All confirmed working using 9.5 emunand with FBI (injected through health & safety app)! Am a very happy man no more sky3ds button click bs!!!

SunTea07

K-POP / Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
sysUpdater 0.4.2b freezes for me using menuhax and browserhax. Got any suggestions 3ds is o3ds xl jp 10.3

SunTea07

K-POP / Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
OMFG. succesfully downgraded my o3ds xl to 9.2 sysupdater freezes at rebooting but i waited patiently for at least 20 mins shut down boot and success

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My major question, do I lose Ironhax ability after downgrade?
If you create an Emunand cloned from your Sysnand, you'll need to update the emunand to 10.3 in order to use Ironfall. It's been said here that Ironfall needs minimum firmware 9.5 to run.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Hello, I think I have a problem. I have a N3DS EU 10.1 and after the downgrade (every CIA was installed succesfully) booting only results in black screens with backlight on. The Network LED is flickering like normal. I can enter the Power Off menu, and from there trying to enter the HOME Menu, results in an infinite loading screen. Am I bricked? How can I fix this?

vegeta18

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
summary:
i just got an o3ds today, and have been desperately trying since early in the morning to downgrade my console. I got browserhax working , but my problem is that everytime i try sysupdater, the app begins to run, but once the app is started up, no buttons or responsive. When i hit y to downgrade nothing happens, doesnt let me hit b to exit or anything like that.

Information
o3ds 10.3.0-28U
sdhc card 16 gb(formatted to fat32)
sysupdater 0.4.2 by prof i200
browserhax ( i dont have any games)

Last edited by vegeta18,

DinckelMan

Your Favorite Water Mage!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Console: o3DS XL 10.3-28E
New FW: 9.2-20E

The process went completely smoothly, with the exception of me shaking like a leaf and the 3DS spending like 15 seconds waiting between me pressing Y and the first line of output, which was "Getting CIA info" if I'm not mistaken.

Got lucky i guess!

Last edited by DinckelMan,

lucks

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Run ftpony and quickly exit when you see the pony (press B), then immediately start the sysupgrader. This error went away using this method on both my consoles. Was happening with the error all day prior.

THIS!

i spent almost 2 hrs
the downgrade started 2 times, the first was a softbrick, then i used that method and success
without this trick i always get "failed to get cia info"

n3ds eur (menuhax 2.1)
first attemp 9.4.0-20E - soft brick
second 10.0.3-28E - success

o3ds (ninjhax 2.5)
first attemp - no tricks - 10.0.3-28E - success

Last edited by lucks,

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
So i just did some testing for science on my old 3ds, was 4.5 then 9.2, so i updated to 10.3 then downgraded to 9.2 with sysUpdater, all went well or so i thought...
I couldn't get any *hax entrypoint to work at all, browswerhax would crash back to homemenu, cubic ninja would do the same with the occassional "error occurred power off black screen".
Anyone else run into this happening at all?

Reason i did this is because i have a mate waiting for me to give the go ahead to downgrade from 9.4, he has no clue about all this stuff so i want to test it all myself first so i can run him through it when the time comes...
I have 3 3ds's with hard mods so testing shit isn't an issue for me, he only has one 3ds and i don't want it to be dead. lol

Last edited by Shadowtrance,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: if i have time for that