Show us your dongle!

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Well I never saw a post for this, so I thought I'd start one.

This dongle for FW9.0 hack requires no soldering and is noob friendly.

Box = MDRX2007 - 46x32x20mm
USB Connector = USB 3.1 Type C Male to USB 3.0 Type A Male Data Sync Adapter Converter
Board = ESP32 S2 mini

I used double sided tape to stick the esp2 mini to the case, then used hotglue to make sure the usb adapter doesn't come out when removing from the ps4.

1fFxHoa.png

Board flashed with Arduino using this - https://github.com/stooged/PS4-Server-900u

Last edited by mrdude,

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I never saw a post for this, so I thought I'd start one.

This dongle for FW9.0 hack requires no soldering and is noob friendly.

Box = MDRX2007 - 46x32x20mm
USB Connector = USB 3.1 Type C Male to USB 3.0 Type A Male Data Sync Adapter Converter
Board = ESP S2 mini

I used double sided tape to stick the esp2 mini to the case, then used hotglue to make sure the usb adapter doesn't come out when removing from the ps4.

1fFxHoa.png

Board flashed with Arduino using this - https://github.com/stooged/PS4-Server-900u

With this setup can the drive be left plugged in to your PS4 at all times or will it still need to be removed?

I have a Sandisk Connect which I was hoping to use but sadly that one needs removing after the hack

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
With this setup can the drive be left plugged in to your PS4 at all times or will it still need to be removed?

I have a Sandisk Connect which I was hoping to use but sadly that one needs removing after the hack
You can keep it in all the time, no need to unplug ever. It can be updated wirelessly with new firmware or goldhen versions without removing from the ps4.

marek256

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
Hello, OK, it took me time to take pictures, but finally.
I like to make up things like these, so there are pictures of ESP8266 auto load and ESP32S2, both used files created or modified by you :-)
By the way, I like LEDs so I added some to ESP32 device :-)

Attachments

• ESP32 1.jpg
    ESP32 1.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 128
  • ESP32 2.jpg
    ESP32 2.jpg
    545.8 KB · Views: 123
  • ESP8266.jpg
    ESP8266.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 109

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Here's mine completed. I added a hard reset switch to put everything back to factory defaults and re-install goldhen if I mess up the wifi settings and get locked out - this saves needing to plug into a computer to to wipe the configs from the Spiffs partition. I also added a blue status led so I can see when the chip is powered on and not in deep sleep mode.

Top View of momentry hard reset switch:
FCYpghN.png

Blue Staus led - end view:
VBe0FPH.png

Overall side view:
oOdW2iF.png

WiiU_Funkionz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's funny. I ordered the exact same usb c male to standard usb connector from Ali the other day to add to mine. Probably gonna skip the shell though as I kinda like the "hacky" look of the esp32-s2 just hanging out the back of my console. Nice work though!!

Reactions: mrdude

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
That's funny. I ordered the exact same usb c male to standard usb connector from Ali the other day to add to mine. Probably gonna skip the shell though as I kinda like the "hacky" look of the esp32-s2 just hanging out the back of my console. Nice work though!!
Good for you, TBH the shell protects it from getting damaged and it gives a good solid surface to install leds/switches on to. Plus I have mine sticking into a usb3 4 port hub and it sits nicely on my tv stand. Still I can see your point. I have a few different dongle that I made but this is my favourite one. I might use the other ones for other stuff now though as they are not needed.
Post automatically merged:

I would but I don't think it's forum appropriate :creep:
Yep keep it hidden, nobody wants to see your wart like dongle.

Last edited by mrdude,

killeriq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hi, what about those from Aliexpress, anyone tried already to use / upgrade?
As there is no need to create extra box/USB connector

"ESP32 S2 Key For 9.0.0 PCB Board"

1671924083546.png

1671924095569.png

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Hi, what about those from Aliexpress, anyone tried already to use / upgrade?
As there is no need to create extra box/USB connector

"ESP32 S2 Key For 9.0.0 PCB Board"

View attachment 344235
These look easy to break and cause damage to your USB port. It would work fine though, but there's better options available.

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
shame we can't use the teensy for this, still have one from the ps3 days with the plastic tx shell.
ESP32 S2 mini is less than £2/$2 to buy. Even if the teensy could be made to work (which it possible could), the time it would take to write to software would not be worth wasting your time on when you could just spend £2 and be done with it. I don't know what the minimum wage is in your country but for £2, that's less than 15 minutes work where I live, it takes a lot longer than that to write the software, so do the maths.... If you have heaps of free time on you hands and want to give yourself a project you can write teesny software - but even if that already existed you would still need to look at the price of a teensy compared to the price of an ESP32 S2 mini. £2 (and software exists) vs an older and more expensive board without software. Most people would just take the easier cost effective route so unless you already owned a teesy and couldn't afford an esp32 s2/s3, why bother?

Reactions: Maupiti and peteruk

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks interesting.

I don't play PS4 these days and my sister's lucky that her PS4 Slim was at 9.00 so I made sure to block future updates (thanks to Modded Warfare's tutorial video) and she uses the USB I had for it. Maybe someday I'll regain interest in playing PS4 again and I have the backups in case of so.

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
How do these cause damage to the USB port? Just curious, because the dongle does look kind of neat :P
Because the USB port on this dongle is very thin (as the dongle), so could cause short circuit or failing to work, as @mrdude pointed out, esp32 S2 mini is , at least for me, the best choice for now on 9.00 jailbreak, waiting for my case to build my dongle (wich will look, more or less like my Switch Erista RCM loader in terms of reliability and strength).

Reactions: Akiranon

mrdude

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Because the USB port on this dongle is very thin (as the dongle), so could cause short circuit or failing to work, as @mrdude pointed out, esp32 S2 mini is , at least for me, the best choice for now on 9.00 jailbreak, waiting for my case to build my dongle (wich will look, more or less like my Switch Erista RCM loader in terms of reliability and strength).
It looks easy to break if knocked, or even if something drops on it or pressure in a downward/upward motion - it's likely to snap and a leave part in the usb port. Personally If I was using that, I'd plug it into a 4 port usb hub just to be on the safe side.

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So here is my dongle, 3D printed case, didn't want to add an usb-C adaptator , (I use a cable), the ESP 32 S2 mini is removable from the case, and have access to Reset fonction, Led showing usb emulation ON
Thanks a lot @Leeful for his work.
https://public.joomeo.com/albums/63c00c5cc0dc8

Attachments

• IMG-2918.jpg
    IMG-2918.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG-2921.jpg
    IMG-2921.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG-2923.jpg
    IMG-2923.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
Last edited by Maupiti,

killeriq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
These look easy to break and cause damage to your USB port. It would work fine though, but there's better options available.
you made me laugh :D printing a cover , attaching cable is the more easy solution? or in other words all USB data sticks longer then 3cm are build to be broken.

Cmoon same as you print covers for boards , you could do for this "stripped" key....

Anyway connecting USB directly, flashing etc without playing around with cables is much comfortable.

Personally ordered 3 types, both USB keys had older FW , but it can be easily re-flashed.

The middle one is the NooB proof solution :P

@NotShared - was also thinking about this one, but i'm rather without cables if i can :)
IMG_20230118_231453.jpg

this is how it looks like with their FW.
There is only 1x button present vs 2x buttons on board mini

FYI: In order to flash it - HOLD button pressed and stick it into PC USB port, it get detected and COM port attached, then you cas flash

IMG_20230118_211915_1.jpg

Reactions: mrdude and zfreeman

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you made me laugh :D printing a cover , attaching cable is the more easy solution? or in other words all USB data sticks longer then 3cm are build to be broken.

Cmoon same as you print covers for boards , you could do for this "stripped" key....

Anyway connecting USB directly, flashing etc without playing around with cables is much comfortable.

Personally ordered 3 types, both USB keys had older FW , but it can be easily re-flashed.

The middle one is the NooB proof solution :P

@NotShared - was also thinking about this one, but i'm rather without cables if i can :)
View attachment 348184

this is how it looks like with their FW.
There is only 1x button present vs 2x buttons on board mini

FYI: In order to flash it - HOLD button pressed and stick it into PC USB port, it get detected and COM port attached, then you cas flash

View attachment 348185
Your post made me laugh also, as the purpose of this thread is to “show “ all options available, which means building your own dongle (that suits your needs), or buy an already built dongle. I made a mod of esp32 S2 mini on an usb hub for PS4 pro, will post some pictures when I get some time.
I really enjoy building from “scratch “, but guess, it is everyone own choice.

Last edited by Maupiti,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Don't make Barbie put a cigarette out on your nipples!