Hacking Question Should you wait for the Online Service before you hack your Switch?

Flux0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I want to play a game online I can do so on my PC. I have plenty of legit purchased Nintendo games from NES/SNES original carts, Wii VC, Wii U VC and NES/SNES Minis. I am not interested in buying those roms again.

The online service will have no effect on if I hack my Switch or not.

D

Deleted User

The best answer we can provide to most Switch hacking questions is simply wait and see.

The best and most expensive solution is to buy two Switches, one for gaming and one for hacking.
Staying on the latest firmware and not giving a shit about hacking is a perfectly valid option many people here have taken.
The third choice is to hack your Switch and risk a ban if you go online. What will and wont get you banned and what exactly you'll get banned from is still up in the air.

We can speculate on what might get you banned, keep in mind, everything below is speculation only. On the 3DS using hacked saves, cheats and playing leaked games before their release would get you banned from online play. You could still download game and system updates and purchase shit from the eShop. Some Switches have been banned from all online features for buying and selling Nintendo accounts. Nintendo seems to be taking security a lot more seriously with the Switch so I think any hacks will result in your Switch getting a permaban from all online features.

If your Switch is banned you can still update your system and games by downloading the update from another Switch locally. eShop access can be worked around with questionable morals and .cia installers. Online play is a lost cause, buy another Switch.

If you want to safely get hacked Pokemon you'll need to hack one Switch then trade the hacked Pokemon to a Switch which isn't hacked.

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

online on a Nintendo console? what a joke doesn't even have a built in ethernet port

Reactions: -----a

-----a

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own two Switches and will be hacking them both.

Since I'm not a fan of online multiplayer, I have zero interest in any online service.

I'm a pirate, no matter what Nintendo, Sony, or MSoft offer it's not enough to entice me. Why would I pay for a service where I may or may not receive a free game monthly that I might care about, when I can get them all free; a service like online multiplayer that I won't use; or cloud saves when I've got my own server/workstation I can manage my own saves with.

Retinal_FAILURE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Since I'm not a fan of online multiplayer, I have zero interest in any online service.

I'm a pirate, no matter what Nintendo, Sony, or MSoft offer it's not enough to entice me. Why would I pay for a service where I may or may not receive a free game monthly that I might care about, when I can get them all free; a service like online multiplayer that I won't use; or cloud saves when I've got my own server/workstation I can manage my own saves with.
I'm a person not a pirate, pirates are thugs on the water. No scratch that I'm a bird and i shit on pirates. OP wrote an honest question, but just saying steal everything isnt an answer. If one wants to pat

Well birds shit on pirates. And if N'tendo was ones neighbor Thou Shalt Not Steal! I hear that N'ty takes some pretty big shits and they fly pretty high. One might want to ask the question of what Devs they're stealing from and if the Dev wouldn't be able to feed the family that they provide for before stealing. Be a pirate and steal or be a hero and wait to play a legitimate dump? or wait for the next gen to come out nd then go batshit crazy with the downloads. Thats what i do.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
You've been indoctrinated by the wrong people. Religious corporatism?

Here is the thing. Companies in the past banked on repeat purchases, because the wares they paddled, where subject to ware and tear, and they were objects, so you could misplace them, or break them, or your spouse throwing them away... And repeat purchases (rereleases, ...) - for established companies, were a significant part of sales (intellectual property vaults, new editions...).

This went away, when things became digital.

At which point corporations ILLEGITIMATELY inventend rules out of thin air, that made it illegal to separate the digital good from the physical thing that you purchased and owned (by inventing a loop, that would prevent you from bypassing "copy protection").

Now to the part that indicates, that I also have a foothold in reality - as soon as normal users got access to a "digital good", they could copy at no cost, and give to their friends - things changed as well.

That said Nintendos made up mirage, that they should be the only ones who legitimately should be allowed access to digital copies of already purchased goods, became a FALLACY, at the point when they used a pirated copy of Super Mario Bros in their Virtual Console release, because - to their programmers is was easier to get a hold of a copy from the public realm, than to get it from the company.

Culture at one point or another becomes part of the public realm, and company content silos are UTTERLY DESPICABLE as a way forward. Their abuse potential is apparent (from reselling you the same good three times in ten years for no apparent reason, to "rewriting history" (taking music tracks out of GTA4)) - and especially visible in the way Nintendo tries to cut profits from prior work.

(Heck, all their intentions to create new IP in the past 20 years have failed entirely.)

There are better ways to handle this - as can be seen with Microsofts back compatibility programs. There are also worse ways to handle this, that seem better for the customer, but Nintendo is oblivious to - because all they care about is short term profit. (They could bundle access rights to accounts, transitioning generations, creating a lock in into a service ecosystem - most people would find hard to resist... At which point, they've got you - and you'd find it hard to leave.)

Nintendo - to put this frankly are freaking a-holes, when it comes to old games. Their concept is "historical revisionism" with short term profit goals - as the only "legal way" they'd accept.

Meaning - if you are interested in experiencing media from the 80s and 90s - here are your 20-30 games, from companies that still exist, and we could strike deals with - for the rest, please go into a museum, where you could look at that stuff - after paying an entry fee.

Their approach is entirely delusional - and also unenforcable by legal standards, because its based on trying to control "in private behavior".

The only reason why they can act as if they'd have moral superiority is because - those digital copies, are so easily spreadable, which is a problem from the societal point of view - and the differenciation of when a "work of art" becomes public has forever being altered by Disney and the lex Mickey Mouse (copyright periods in law always get extended, whenever Mickey Mouse is threatened of becoming a common good).

Also - no game developer is under the illusion, that 20 years after a game was published, he/she would get royalties from any thing other than the brand awareness - which old game "piracy" helps to create. The reason is not that the pirates took that away, but the companies, that employed him made sure, that he had no rights left on the product he created, when it left the "factory" door. Companies, that in 90% of all cases don't exist anymore - and whose "intellectual rights" get sold off in auctions to the highest bidder.

So moral outrage should be directed at Nintendos business practices, if anything.

Heck, when they can't put Miyamoto in front of cameras anymore, I don't know what they would do... Because all of their companies "percieved worth" is attached to products they created more than two decades ago.

Their new Zelda was a lackluster Morrowind clone with no story, but PhysX.
And Mario now has a hat and comes with a sh*tload of nostalgia.

If they hadn't outsourced Metroid to a UK company - they'd not made an original new product in 10 years. Pokémon was a great cross media marketing megalith, thats now been sold off to a mobile company to drive into the future - while everyone who grew up with the original concept of a "very light japanese RPG" gets fed with annual clones of the original concept.

Last edited by notimp,

-----a

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a person not a pirate, pirates are thugs on the water. No scratch that I'm a bird and i shit on pirates. OP wrote an honest question, but just saying steal everything isnt an answer. If one wants to pat

Well birds shit on pirates. And if N'tendo was ones neighbor Thou Shalt Not Steal! I hear that N'ty takes some pretty big shits and they fly pretty high. One might want to ask the question of what Devs they're stealing from and if the Dev wouldn't be able to feed the family that they provide for before stealing. Be a pirate and steal or be a hero and wait to play a legitimate dump? or wait for the next gen to come out nd then go batshit crazy with the downloads. Thats what i do.
Bahahhahaa dude. You're such a fag. I sure hope no birds poop on me. Oh noes...

I really don't know what to say to this. I shared an opinion from my point of view and this guy says he's a bird that's going to poop on me?

Like really? LMFAO

Last edited by -----a,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
At which point corporations ILLEGITIMATELY inventend rules out of thin air, that made it illegal to separate the digital good from the physical thing that you purchased and owned (by inventing a loop, that would prevent you from bypassing "copy protection").

I'm not arguing that you should obey the law, but they are legitimate laws.

Most of the money paid for software goes to normal people who have mortgages, child care costs, food bills etc. There are very few people who get rich out of it. Maybe your pension holds shares in nintendo.

It's fine if you don't care, but don't pretend that it's ok because you're only stopping a faceless corporation from stealing.

Reactions: Retinal_FAILURE

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
How would that work? Couldn't you disconnect from the net and then change the date in your device and keep playing them forever? If you have to be connected to the net to play them so much for it being a take-anywhere hand-held.
There's a second clock that keeps track of when the time/date is changed.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Most of the money paid for software goes to normal people who have mortgages, child care costs, food bills etc. There are very few people who get rich out of it. Maybe your pension holds shares in nintendo.
They do not, because my government operates by rules that permits them from investing pension funds into certain risk classes of investments, which private corporations - with no intrinsic relationship to deeper societal "functions", fall under. Them investing in an entertainment enterprise, or an "expensive cardboard for hipster parents" / former trading cards company - is less than likely. :)

Also - considering the point, that 90% of the companies, that made games in the 80s and 90s are now bankrupt, what about their works of art? Are they now to be ousted, and never to be touched again, because their new rights holders don't care to market non competitive older games, in a market that cares about the first two months of sales of a product - and not anything else (if they are not pushing out "experiences" with micro transactions, that people are supposed to play for months for cheap incremental content drops).

Also - to have a more realistic impression of large scale videogame companies these days - watch this:

And don't always push the underpaid artist types in front, that get literally punched in his face, when his patchinco mashines, dont meet sales expectations, time and time again (just look at what happened to Kojima).

I'm not opposed to paying for "nostalgia marketed" products, but to imply - that they should be seen as everything of past generations, thats allowed to be experienced, by a broader part of todays public - is not upholdable.

Also laws get lobbied for, by people who also have houses and mortgages - and I'm not quite sure, work in my best interest. They usually also don't get rich.

We are not ignoring the impacts of a world where "wear and tear" doesnt exist as a concept, just so that management can stick to old business models.

I'm not a religious protestant anymore, where I could be made to see the godly value of suffering through selfimposed abstinance in the face of digital abundance. I've seen the proposed content silo models ("walled gardens"), and I don't deem them to have any moral justification to be the main sources of licensed entertainment in the future.

(Also, you have to also mention, that at the point, where license rights of failed companies are sold, they get consolidated in a few companies hands - and beat and butchered until they are worthless (apart from very few exceptions (Fallout, ..)) - which I'm sure you'd also see as part of the action to make sure that corporate codemonkey gets a pension in his old days.)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: DayVeeBoi

FahQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I care more about not having my game saves stuck to the console than being able to play online. If Nintendo had tied game saves to the game card and/or user account, things would have been different, but as it is, I didn't even consider getting a Switch until there was the possibility of hacking that basic feature in.
Exactly! This hurts my soul...
As a side note what is this ban wave you speak of in your sig? I haven't had my 3ds or wii connected to the Internet in years or really followed along with the development of hb and cfw.

Disco Inferno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a side note what is this ban wave you speak of in your sig? I haven't had my 3ds or wii connected to the Internet in years or really followed along with the development of hb and cfw.
It was about a year ago, right after the boot9strap hack for the 3DS came out. Nintendo had apparently compiled a list of suspected hacked 3DSes since the dawn of time, and pulled the trigger on all of them at once.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/update-regarding-the-recent-3ds-banwave.471781/

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Sorry - Havok, not PhysX
Concerning Breath of the Wild:
They chose Havoc for their physics engine, and expected this to be a key component of the fun, and also knew that there would be a large amount of physics data that would have to be dealt with — even then, they chose not to have any artists that would specialize just in physics. So they decided that multiple artists would have to be able to stably mass produce physics data. Their solution was to ensure that their Havok environment wasn’t accessible — instead it would be funneled through DCC tool plugins to simplify the physics data workflow.
https://medium.com/@gypsyOtoko/the-...ngineers-botw-project-management-c30f4e42598e

Also, if you are interested in Nintendos new design philosophy of creating empty shells of unsubstantiated (not grounded in the world) feels, using smoke and mirrors, please refer to their own design presentation for Breath of the Wild.
h**ps://youtu.be/QyMsF31NdNc?t=4800

View the minutes following the timecode already set in the link. To make sure this is within the context of the presentation, please take your time, maybe five, ten minutes - until you've had your fill.. ;)

Or just do a google image search for "gutto kuru" and get the concept in just a few seconds. If you want to use the japanese phase to make sure this is not just cultural bias " グットクル ". (Referring to a famitsu article: https://www.famitsu.com/news/201703/02128158.html )

Last edited by notimp,

LysergCooltyp

I don't know why the microwave burns
Trophies
XP
Country
I personally will hack it as soon as there's a convenient method, but avoid online play until after Pokèmon is out to see whether or not people get hit with a ban wave. There's enough games that should keep me busy offline for a while.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Oh that's interesting - BUT we could probably remove the battery from the console. Unless they've got a sneaky extra battery that isn't user-removeable, just for the clock.
That might work. There are other ways to reset it, see the discussions related to the NES Golf (flog) game integrated in the Switch OS. It's kinda tricky though.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would that work? Couldn't you disconnect from the net and then change the date in your device and keep playing them forever? If you have to be connected to the net to play them so much for it being a take-anywhere hand-held.

I'm not sure tbh. Nintendo may have a built in "always on" (for internet connection) requirement to the subscription for the monthly VC title to even work. Hopefully they release more information at E3 about it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2s69fpphVU