Hacking Question Should you wait for the Online Service before you hack your Switch?

Der_Blockbuster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, in consideration of the steady developments in the Switch's hacking scene, I wondered what consequences we might have to face when softmodding the console.
Im talking about Nintendo taking action to ban people completely from their Platform e.g. Online Gaming, E-Shop etc.
This hasen't been a problem on the Wii U.
I don't wanna risk a ban, becaue we currently don't know what we can expect from their online service.
I don't wanna miss out their Virtual Console and have to worry that my Switch could be permanently banned from playing online so early in it's life span. (Also regarding SSB5 :bow:)

So what do you guys think?
Risk it for a biscuit?
Nintendo doesn't care?
Will you instantly install and use any homebrew and don't give a damn about any coming consequences?
Let me know in the comments below! :teach:

Reactions: Hoppy

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Virtual Virtual Console is coming soon and you won't have to pay for Super Mario Bros. 3 for the fourth time.

Or Megaman X 1-8, Legacy 1 and Legacy 2. AFAIK aren't the VC games being offered only available to play for a month, then it is changed the next rotating month, or did they change that in a public statement?

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people here have two Switches, one for hacking and one for personal use, so won't be a prob for most. However, I only have one, so I took the initiative not to screw with my Switch at all, I'm not gonna lose my fun cause of some crap homebrew I stupidly installed on it.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or Megaman X 1-8, Legacy 1 and Legacy 2. AFAIK aren't the VC games being offered only available to play for a month, then it is changed the next rotating month, or did they change that in a public statement?

I'm not sure. I think the monthly games will be part of your Nintendo online membership. You will still be able to buy ROMs (VC titles).

saito1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought myself a second Switch for CFW/hacks (I was lucky, so it is also on 3.0.2), and I will probably update my main Switch (which is on 4.01 atm) to play Online and stuff.
I think this is the best solution if you want to enjoy both worlds.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends:

- Will the service be good?
- Will it actually have a good VC library?
- Will it have multimedia services?

If it doesn't have a good infrastructure, I don't see the value.

Disco Inferno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I care more about not having my game saves stuck to the console than being able to play online. If Nintendo had tied game saves to the game card and/or user account, things would have been different, but as it is, I didn't even consider getting a Switch until there was the possibility of hacking that basic feature in.

Ivellios

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Personally i dont care about Nintendo online services, i already pay for PSN+ so i see no need for another subscription. Besides i only bought the Switch for homebrew.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
How would that work? Couldn't you disconnect from the net and then change the date in your device and keep playing them forever? If you have to be connected to the net to play them so much for it being a take-anywhere hand-held.

JaRocker

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
So, in consideration of the steady developments in the Switch's hacking scene, I wondered what consequences we might have to face when softmodding the console.
Im talking about Nintendo taking action to ban people completely from their Platform e.g. Online Gaming, E-Shop etc.
This hasen't been a problem on the Wii U.
I don't wanna risk a ban, becaue we currently don't know what we can expect from their online service.
I don't wanna miss out their Virtual Console and have to worry that my Switch could be permanently banned from playing online so early in it's life span. (Also regarding SSB5 :bow:)

So what do you guys think?
Risk it for a biscuit?
Nintendo doesn't care?
Will you instantly install and use any homebrew and don't give a damn about any coming consequences?
Let me know in the comments below! :teach:
Maybe I would have cared about the only if it was going to be free but Nintendo Is going to be changing all that some time this year there online wasn't good to begin with now you'll have to pay for it hmm no thanks I'll stick to offline

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would that work? Couldn't you disconnect from the net and then change the date in your device and keep playing them forever? If you have to be connected to the net to play them so much for it being a take-anywhere hand-held.
Could be similar to psn+ freebie titles, where as if you don't connect to the net ever so often the title becomes locked.

Reactions: Quantumcat

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I think that what's currently released with fusee gelee, shofel2, Linux on Switch and other payloads, it's currently undetectable as long as you're not shorting pin 10 while booted in Horizon.

That being said, I know there are people with 2 Switches, one for homebrew/CFW/piracy, and one for strictly legit titles to play online with. That's a pretty steep price to pay for homebrew though, I think there may be a cheaper solution. I've heard that the eMMC is easily replaceable, and I believe we can already read and write backups to it. So, what if you just got a 2nd eMMC, backed up your current eMMC, and restored the backup to your new eMMC?

At that point, you could have two eMMCs to switch between. One for hax and one for legit stuff. You'd want to leave the hax eMMC in "airplane mode," because I'm pretty sure if your switch gets banned it won't matter which eMMC you're using.

Also, because of e-fuses, upgrading the system on one eMMC may cause the other eMMC to stop working. With homebrew save managers on the "hax" eMMC, you should be able to work around this problem by backing up your stuff, upgrading your "legit" eMMC, re-imaging it to the hax eMMC, and finally re-haxing it and restoring your stuff.

It would make system updates a PITA but I think it's a solution worth looking into. A sure-proof way of running hax on a Switch without getting banned, and without needing a second Switch.

Reactions: Der_Blockbuster

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, I should clarify. I don't think what has CURRENTLY been released is detectable. Atmosphere, other CFWs, homebrew, cheats, mods, and piracy will most likely lead to banwaves similar to what we've seen on 3DS. Which is why either a separate Switch or a separate eMMC solution as I described above would be advisable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: The third one ducked.