Hardware Should The Next Nintendo Console Use a "Gamepad"?

Should it?

• Yes, just as the Wii-U has.

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Yes, but it should be an optional controller like the Pro Controller.

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • I can go either way.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Not for new games, only for backwards compatibility with Wii-U games.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • No, not at all.

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters

gokuguy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at the Wii-U, while it hasn't sold well at all due to its lack of a game library, I personally believe the innovation of the Gamepad was a great idea. It works well with many games while offering a second screen to play on when your television is in use.

I personally believe that the Gamepad design has many more great uses left in it, but I don't think that it should be a requirement for games as the Wii-U has used it for. I feel that it would be a great optional controller for games of the next generation. Ideally, while every game would be fully playable with the controller standard, using a Gamepad could add a useful but optional feature to each game, much like the items menu being on the Gamepad and such.

What do you guys think?

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A combination of optional and for BC purposes.

Of course, then they'd have to sell them in stores, since it wouldn't be included, so I don't see that happening.

Maybe if they let people use a NEW3DS with it for that stuff, maybe that could work.

gokuguy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Complain all you want about how big it is, I love Off-TV Play so much. In fact, that's why I prefer it over all other controllers- Off-TV Play.

I agree completely. Honestly, the size isn't an issue besides finding a place to store it. The thing isn't heavy, so it doesn't keep you from playing to the best of your ability. To me, it was just another new controller design, and with any new design, you have to get adjusted before you can appreciate the controller.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should be whatever they come up with. I trust Nintendo to have a better idea of what their console should be than I have.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No. The next Nintendo console should bury the Wii, the Wii U, the architecture and everything around it. If they want a controller with a screen, they should integrate their handheld into the ecosystem instead of bundling their new console with what amounts to an economical anchor that slows everything down. Nintendo should start from scratch with a system that's at the very least competitive, not laughable. Forget the gamepad, forget the Wiimote, forget BC - the market has spoken and it doesn't want the gimmicks anymore.

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can see Nintendo supporting it for backwards compatibility sake (like the GC ports on the Wii), and they might even make it natively use it (like the Wiimotes on the Wii U), but the main focus will be something entirely new. No one expected the Wii's motion controls and no one expected the Wii U's gamepad. Nintendo is obsessed with innovating so I would bet that their next console will focus on some new gimmick.

Regardless, Nintendo won't push out a new home console for years. They may not be making much on the Wii U, but pushing out a new console so quick would be a terrible idea. Sales have just started picking up now that the Nintendo games everyone loves are finally arriving for the console (Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Zelda, etc.).

I think the more likely scenario is that we will see a revision to the Wii U, either with the gamepad as an optional accessory (to lower costs), vWii removed (in an attempt to curb virtual console piracy), or both.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As long as there's a way to do Off-TV Play, whatever.
Off-TV play is an excellent idea that was executed poorly - going the Remote Play path both pushes more hardware and allows the home console to be sold cheaper and with better core parameters. Speaking of improvements, 2000 called and reminded me about HDD's, having one of those would be nice for downloadable games and content.

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as there's a way to do Off-TV Play, whatever.
Sony's PS4 offers Off-TV play with either the PS Vita or a Sony branded cell phone. Heck, even the PS3 offered remote play for select titles on a PSP. This idea has been around for awhile.

Nintendo could easily do something similar without having the gamepad.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes. Next Gen gamepad technology will be cheaper and I feel therefore will be more easy to integrate.

However it should be OPTIONAL.

I think the gamepad was a genius idea which game a generation too early where too much money is spent on the pad, sacrificing the console itself.

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I do, and I don't want to spend money on an extra device.
Do you realize that if the gamepad was sold separately the Wii U would be cheaper? Therefore you'd end up spending about the same in the end if you bought both?

The only difference is that people who don't use it wouldn't be forced to own it.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why should you need something that doesn't come with the console to do something essential?
Surely you mean the WiiMote+ attachment... or the N64 Expansion Pak... or a number of other devices required to play some games that were completely optional. Off-TV play is an additional feature that's non-essential in most games and the gamepad itself can be easily replaced by just about any other smart device, for instance a phone or a handheld console. If Nintendo's new console would have this functionality, but offered it via their next handheld rather than a peripheral device that artificially inflates the console's price by $100+, I wouldn't shed a single tear - in fact, I would applaud them.

gokuguy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't change the fact that a lot of people never use it, so it's not unreasonable to require a second device.

It is when the device needed is $300. Thats equal to half the price of the console you want to play it on. Yes, I'm talking about the Vita.

Reactions: Kelton2

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It is when the device needed is $300. Thats equal to half the price of the console you want to play it on. Yes, I'm talking about the Vita.
And what device might you be talking about?
But in the next gen it will be cheaper.
By the time Next Gen rolls in, the technology used in the gamepad will be
ancient, it doesn't matter that it'll be cheaper, it won't be used as it will be replaced by newer, better technology.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But in the next gen it will be cheaper.
If you think they'll be using the exact same gamepad you're kidding yourself. The screen should have been better as it is, keeping it at 480p by the time we get a new system would be a horrible decision.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Check your reply again.
I literally don't know what you're talking about. Are you refering to smartphones? The PSVita? Neither costs $300. In fact, I'd argue that the $100 wasted on a gamepad could be easily put towards whatever handheld Nintendo comes up with next and should it have a streaming feature, you'd end up paying maybe $50-$100 more and you'd have a better system plus a handheld counterpart that's independent from the home console altogether. Remember, the gamepad works within a maybe 30 feet range, online streaming has no such obstacle.

gokuguy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I literally don't know what you're talking about. Are you refering to smartphones? The PSVita? Neither costs $300. In fact, I'd argue that the $100 wasted on a gamepad could be easily put towards whatever handheld Nintendo comes up with next and should it have a streaming feature, you'd end up paying maybe $50-$100 more and you'd have a better system plus a handheld counterpart that's independent from the home console altogether. Remember, the gamepad works within a maybe 30 feet range, online streaming has no such obstacle.

I stated Vita in my post. Its in your first reply.

The Vita doesn't cost $300 anymore because time has passed and the handheld has flopped. It did cost $300 at launch. I wouldn't refer to the smartphones because ones that are compatible with the PS4 remote-play cost even more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up