Should Nintendo make a mature platform (Uncharted-type) for the next gen (9th)?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The test of time proved that the OXO cube was and always will be better than a Gamecube. :tpi:
Oxo cubes did not withstand the test of time, because in the course of said time the actual meat content shriveled down to 2% :angry:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxi will settle for a carrot or a cucumber but for me it has to be all meat, baby :creep:
To be fair, if you're planning to make proper meat stock, you should probably just buy a slab of meat and make stock. If you're relying on a little dry cube of spices and grease, you don't get the right to complain, you lazy butt. ;O;

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Something something tuna, something something badly stuffed kebab.

I also see the downfall of oxo cubes as a bad thing, I will of course make my own stock but at one time an oxo cube in some hot water did the trick at the end of the day, they also worked well for nibbling as a chef's perk.

Also is noughts and crosses a game?

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps, but their portfolio is the image of their consoles in more ways than one. Their hardware designs underperform, but it's their portfolio that creates the image of a "kiddy" company that's dragging them down. What lead to extraordinary sales of the Wii practically killed the N64 and the Gamecube and it's actively killing the Wii U. They need to broaden up their horizons a little bit, don't you think?

What hurt the N64 was using carts when everyone else had moved to cheap CD formats, what hurt the GC was using non-standard discs that held less than half as much as the DVD formats the competition had moved on to. The notion that being kiddy had anything to do with the Gamecube not being number one is revisionist history. There were plenty of non-kiddy attempts by Nintendo that gen. Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, getting exclusive rights to several Resident Evil games (yes, they later got ported, but at the time they were Nintendo only, to the point where that one Capcom guy said he'd cut off his own head if RE4 went to PS2). Gamecube was probably the biggest example of Nintendo attempting to break the kiddy mold.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
To be fair, if you're planning to make proper meat stock, you should probably just buy a slab of meat and make stock. If you're relying on a little dry cube of spices and grease, you don't get the right to complain, you lazy butt. ;O;

But that's exactly what I'm saying, once upon a time the cubes weren't comprised of spices and grease, they were chock full of meaty goodness.

That's what Nintendo should do, make bouillon cubes with actual meat :yay:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What hurt the N64 was using carts when everyone else had moved to cheap CD formats, what hurt the GC was using non-standard discs that held less than half as much as the DVD formats the competition had moved on to. The notion that being kiddy had anything to do with the Gamecube not being number one is revisionist history. There were plenty of non-kiddy attempts by Nintendo that gen. Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, getting exclusive rights to several Resident Evil games (yes, they later got ported, but at the time they were Nintendo only, to the point where that one Capcom guy said he'd cut off his own head if RE4 went to PS2). Gamecube was probably the biggest example of Nintendo attempting to break the kiddy mold.
Eternal Darkness is not a Nintendo game, it was only published by them. The only (arguably) mature IP Nintendo owns is Metroid, and even that is relatively tame by today's standards. That's besides the point though, the point is that Nintendo's strategy proved to be ineffective the moment a platform with a more broad appeal popped up. It wasn't just a matter of the medium (although the medium did contribute a lot to the system's failure), otherwise the SNES would've been obliterated by the SEGA CD and it wasn't. The Saturn didn't outsell the N64 either, so clearly the medium wasn't the most important factor. As for the Gamecube, it was a genuienly good platform, but Nintendo's image prevented it from being as successful as it could've been - everyone went for the PS2 because the PS1 was so great (not to mention that the Gamecube entered the scene a bit too late to make a dent).

But that's exactly what I'm saying, once upon a time the cubes weren't comprised of spices and grease, they were chock full of meaty goodness. That's what Nintendo should do, make bouillon cubes with actual meat :yay:
Y'know, you can wait for that imaginary product... or you could just buy a PS4. ;O;

Baiting complete, return to base! :ninja:

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Nobody likes Sony's TVs or computers. They should stick with Playstation and ride it out. They have Blu-ray royalties rolling in as a constant cashflow, so they just need to cut the shit off that's weighing them down and focus on what is making them succeed.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nobody likes Sony's TVs or computers. They should stick with Playstation and ride it out. They have Blu-ray royalties rolling in as a constant cashflow, so they just need to cut the shit off that's weighing them down and focus on what is making them succeed.
That's the thing about corporations though - they want to do as many things as possible so that the profitable businesses can support the less profitable ones, they invest in a lot of different sectors of the industry and always have a money pillow to fall on. You never know when the market situation will change, PlayStation will start bombing and Sony TV's will suddenly come back to "fashion", so to speak (all it takes is a couple sh*tty Samsung TV's and people will turn right around to the brand they used to trust before they switched). If you went back in time and told a PS1 and a PS2 owner that the PS3 will bomb big time for the first couple of years, he'd call you a complete lunatic, but that's exactly what happened. It's all about walking the tightrope and deciding which businesses have a chance of turning a profit in the future and are thus worth investing in and which ones should be cut because there's no hope anymore. I agree that they have to cut some fat off, but I don't think their TV business should be closed. Sony never really got a footing in the computer business though, so it's a good thing that they got rid (are getting rid?) of the Vaio brand - they're just not known for their computers, that's not what the brand stands for, or at least I think it's not what people identify Sony with.

Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
That's the thing about corporations though - they want to do as many things as possible so that the profitable businesses can support the less profitable ones, they invest in a lot of different sectors of the industry and always have a money pillow to fall on. You never know when the market situation will change, PlayStation will start bombing and Sony TV's will suddenly come back to "fashion", so to speak (all it takes is a couple sh*tty Samsung TV's and people will turn right around to the brand they used to trust before they switched). If you went back in time and told a PS1 and a PS2 owner that the PS3 will bomb big time for the first couple of years, he'd call you a complete lunatic, but that's exactly what happened. It's all about walking the tightrope and deciding which businesses have a chance of turning a profit in the future and are thus worth investing in and which ones should be cut because there's no hope anymore. I agree that they have to cut some fat off, but I don't think their TV business should be closed. Sony never really got a footing in the computer business though, so it's a good thing that they got rid (are getting rid?) of the Vaio brand - they're just not known for their computers, that's not what the brand stands for, or at least I think it's not what people identify Sony with.

That bolded part actually does make a lot of sense...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That bolded part actually does make a lot of sense...
It's actually sort of surprising that Sony's TV's are bombing. I know they're expensive, but there were always cheaper alternatives, even in CRT times. I remember when Sony TV's were almost a sign of status - everyone wanted a Trinitron TV because it was practically the best thing around, I can't help but wonder why Bravia TV's don't have the same allure. Sony really has to come up with a budget line of TV's and do some catching up.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Sony TVs are nice, and while Samsung and Sharp dominate in the picture quality department, LG has them beat in terms of features. The one thing I like about LG TVs and Blu-ray players is, I can plug in a USB stick into them and play an MKV of anything without converting it on a PC. That feature alone sets LG in the God-tier of TVs for me. MKV playback devices are very difficult to find, especially ones that can play the Hi-10 color profiles and DTS 5.1 audio.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sony TVs are nice, and while Samsung and Sharp dominate in the picture quality department, LG has them beat in terms of features. The one thing I like about LG TVs and Blu-ray players is, I can plug in a USB stick into them and play an MKV of anything without converting it on a PC. That feature alone sets LG in the God-tier of TVs for me. MKV playback devices are very difficult to find, especially ones that can play the Hi-10 color profiles and DTS 5.1 audio.
You're saying that LG TV & Blu-ray player can handle H.264 Hi10P? I don't believe you.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eternal Darkness is not a Nintendo game, it was only published by them. The only (arguably) mature IP Nintendo owns is Metroid, and even that is relatively tame by today's standards. That's besides the point though, the point is that Nintendo's strategy proved to be ineffective the moment a platform with a more broad appeal popped up. It wasn't just a matter of the medium (although the medium did contribute a lot to the system's failure), otherwise the SNES would've been obliterated by the SEGA CD and it wasn't. The Saturn didn't outsell the N64 either, so clearly the medium wasn't the most important factor. As for the Gamecube, it was a genuienly good platform, but Nintendo's image prevented it from being as successful as it could've been - everyone went for the PS2 because the PS1 was so great (not to mention that the Gamecube entered the scene a bit too late to make a dent).
Silicon Knights was the primary developer, but Nintendo owns the IP and has recently reasserted their ownership of the IP. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07...kness-trademark-includes-digital-distribution

Along with Eternal Darkness, Nintendo published (and owns the rights to) another Mature game from the Gamecube era: Geist.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I think Nintendo could benefit from releasing TWO new consoles next generation. One for REAL gamers, and another for children... since they are professionals about alienating people, this could be their chance to please everyone. I would think that by doing this, both units would sell well. Nintendo's mature console could finally compete with the leading two, and their kid-friendly console would sell for the casual gaming adults and their kids. I find this much more profitable than if they were to just abandon hardware and go down the Sega road. At least Sega knows what they are doing, and know how to flourish when hardware sales go sour. :P

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think Nintendo could benefit from releasing TWO new consoles next generation. One for REAL gamers, and another for children... since they are professionals about alienating people, this could be their chance to please everyone.
Uhm... that's just making things more complicated for the developers, don't you think? If anything, they should release a basic bundle for casual gamers and a more advanced one for the more hardcore crowd, kind of how the Xbox 360 Pro/Elite versus Xbox 360 Core/Arcade worked. Wii U Basic and Wii U Premium were made with a similar thought in mind, except the system has pitiful amount of storage either way so it was pretty much pointless. Now, it the Wii U Basic had 32GB built-in storage and the Wii U Premium had that plus a hard drive bay (NOT USB HDD compatibility), we'd have a whole different situation on our hands.
Silicon Knights was the primary developer, but Nintendo owns the IP and has recently reasserted their ownership of the IP. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07...kness-trademark-includes-digital-distribution

Along with Eternal Darkness, Nintendo published (and owns the rights to) another Mature game from the Gamecube era: Geist.
In other words, they've never made an M game themselves, only published some games on terms unfavourable for the actual developers. I'm sure Eternal Darkness 2 and Geist 2 are on their way to the Wii U (not). :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's great if you have something anyone else wants, otherwise it's annoying and potentially bad...