should I use replit to learn programming?

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
IMO, Java has no place in the modern world. There are far better languages these days.

You can read claims like these quite often "on the internet"... However I disagree if you give that as a general statement.

The statement is probably true for "casual" software development and anything targetting a single user (with a UI), but Java's share on enterprise (backend) software is quite high. This article might give you an idea (even if you discount that it is probably a bit biased): https://broscorp.net/java-for-enterprise-development/

Reactions: felix.200

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You can read claims like these quite often "on the internet"... However I disagree if you give that as a general statement.

The statement is probably true for "casual" software development and anything targetting a single user (with a UI), but Java's share on enterprise (backend) software is quite high. This article might give you an idea (even if you discount that it is probably a bit biased): https://broscorp.net/java-for-enterprise-development/
So I have heard, although that isn't particularly relevant to me personally and probably not to most people here, as I don't work with enterprise backend software.
Still feel like all the pros listed there also apply to other, more modern languages, which makes them just as good of a fit if not better, and people should be moving away from Java onto more modern languages rather than just continuing to use it because "there's a lot of existing stuff that's already made in it/supports it" (which is a rather poor excuse for avoiding progress, especially when there are alternatives that are similarly very well supported)

Enterprise will always be stuck using decades old solutions because they built their stuff on top of something existing that worked for them and they just never bother to update their stuff for the modern age because it would involve more work, but that doesn't mean the rest of us shouldn't be allowed to move on.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Deleted member 681657

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
What do you want to do? Become a professional programmer, make ROM hacks, make homebrew software, program for fun or something I haven't thought of?

If you're just in it for fun go with Python. For ROM hacks and homebrew it depends on the system but you're probably looking at either assembly or C. If you want to become a programmer as your career then you'll want to know the basics of all the more popular languages.

If you're choosing Python like your previous post implies then I would personally recommend Udemy. If you check their website every day you'll find a 90% off sale in a few weeks.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Deleted member 681657

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
And i wanna be a romhacker
https://www.romhacking.net/start/

Python will be useful to know because you'll be able to create tools to edit ROM files more easily but for advanced romhacking you'll have to learn assembly for some obsolete hardware which is not worth the effort unless you're so rich you'll never have to work in your life.

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I remember having to go to a work focused group to retain whatever government benefits I was claiming. To my surprise one of the employees there had a history in games programming and programming in general but mainly using Pascal. I explained to her that I learnt various forms of basic on both home computers and PC's during the mid 80's to early 90's and wanted to learn c++ when I left school at the time but couldn't, so she recommended Pascal to me to as something to conisder learning as a stepping stone to c++. Maybe it is a good choice for beginners, idk.

Last edited by ILuvGames,

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You should have a go at reading C/C++ books from the 80s and 90s, which has much more compared to what I see online. I prefer Sams <insert programming language here> in 21 days, its quite a good read.

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
You should have a go at reading C/C++ books from the 80s and 90s, which has much more compared to what I see online. I prefer Sams <insert programming language here> in 21 days, its quite a good read.
Idk if they sell that book here, and we can't buy stuff on ebay

Xdqwerty

Im bored (he/she/they)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Replit is an amazing platform for mastering programming skills. It offers the convenience of creating, executing, and distributing code in multiple languages without the need for any installations on your computer. Additionally, you can engage in collaborative coding sessions with fellow programmers, become part of vibrant online communities, and take part in exciting challenges. While Replit provides free access to its fundamental features, you also have the option to upgrade to a premium plan for enhanced storage, privacy, and customization options. Whether you're a novice or an expert coder, I highly recommend Replit for its user-friendly interface, versatility, and enjoyable experience.
This answer feels Ai generated

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really don’t think there’s a bad way to start. Keeping interested and just continuing to learn are the bigger things.

I didn’t start programming until university, and there we started with four weeks of AppInventor (block coding and the like) to learn some basic logic, and then just jumped straight into C++ and C#. Like others I can’t speak for Replit, but if it’s free there’s no harm in trying and seeing if it does work for you.

Reactions: Xdqwerty

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head