Hardware Should I get a PS TV?

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GameStop is having a pre-Black Friday on these, and I could pick one up for $80.

I own a Vita, and all of my games are PSN downloads (since the cartridges are just pointless DRM dongles anyway that literally don't do anything once you install the game)

I see that "some" Vita games are compatible... that's not very reassuring. I was hoping to be able to play my Vita library on my TV using a PS3 controller or similar.

Could I just pop my Vita memory card into a PS TV and it would work? Or is there licensing stuff that has to be done? I know the PS3 only lets you "activate" one system at a time, for example. I just want to make sure I wouldn't have to re-buy all my games.

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
cartridges are need to run the game
the bubble is just the launcher, for the cartridges of the game, the game is NOT installed (just some data is) to the memory card
the game still runs off the cartridges

you should be able to link you PSN account to the playstation tv and use the same memory card

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Um, when I put in the game card that came bundled with my system (LEGO Batman 2 or something), first thing it did was install it to my memory card. It created a little launcher icon too.

Maybe it didn't copy ALL the data, but it still needs a memory card in there to work and it makes an icon just like a PSn game... you just can't remove the card or it won't let you boot it since it's a DRM module.

Anyway, that aside... would I be able to play on both my Vita and PS TV or do I have to switch it back and forth for licenses?

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your allowed to have 2 consoles (ps3/ps4) and two portable systems (psp/vita/pstv) attached to your psn account. You should be able to use everything just fine unless you have a psp and vita already attached. There are many popular games not yet compatible with pstv but I would still recommend it. I havent even used my ps3 since I got it. The data you installed was just game data, the ps3 does this as well on many games, so of course the game card is still required.

A cool thing about the pstv is that it works with adhoc on psp and vita, so any multiplayer games that support adhoc you can play with a friend (one using vita, one using pstv)

you may want to consider getting the bundle that includes the controller, memory card and game. saves you the trouble of syncing a ps3 controller back and forth between pstv and ps3, also the memory card will be useful unless your gonna hot swap your vita memory card back and forth. I think this bundle is $99 (the normal price of stand alone system)

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your allowed to have 2 consoles (ps3/ps4) and two portable systems (psp/vita/pstv) attached to your psn account. You should be able to use everything just fine unless you have a psp and vita already attached. There are many popular games not yet compatible with pstv but I would still recommend it. I havent even used my ps3 since I got it. The data you installed was just game data, the ps3 does this as well on many games, so of course the game card is still required.

A cool thing about the pstv is that it works with adhoc on psp and vita, so any multiplayer games that support adhoc you can play with a friend (one using vita, one using pstv)

you may want to consider getting the bundle that includes the controller, memory card and game. saves you the trouble of syncing a ps3 controller back and forth between pstv and ps3, also the memory card will be useful unless your gonna hot swap your vita memory card back and forth. I think this bundle is $99 (the normal price of stand alone system)

Yeah, I saw that bundle. Can I just log into PSN and redownload my Vita games to the new memory card?

What percentage of them approximately work? And I assume you use the DualShock 3 to play them?

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes i got the bundle that includes the ps3 controller and your games will be able to be re-downloaded, it will be marked with the red psn shopping bag icon, which means already purchased

the amount of games depends which ones you got, there is a compatiblity list online, most of the psp, ps1 games that i already bought worked (except for ff3 psp) and about half of my vita games worked. Alot of the games that you may have already gotten for free on psn plus work.

notable games that do not work include gravity rush, ys (vita), metal gear solid 2 and 3 (vita), uncharted, hyperdimension neptunia (vita remake)

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
U can get one now..on Amazon for 79.99

its 79.99 at gamestop too right now but I still recommend to get the ps3 controller bundle, its definetly worth the extra $20, you get a $20 game, $55 controller and $25ish memory card for just $20, but to be fair I hardly touched the lego game, not really my kind of game but the kids like it

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

It is 3 portable system max. Sony increased it from 2 to 3 right before PS TV was released.

To check whether a game runs on PS TV or not look at this list,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is 3 portable system max. Sony increased it from 2 to 3 right before PS TV was released.

To check whether a game runs on PS TV or not look at this list,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games

you sure its 3 max now?, it still says two portable on psn store for every game (but I guess they may not of updated it on psn store game pages yet)

you can also go to the psn store to see compatible games

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...tible-games/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSTVCOMPATIBLE

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you sure its 3 max now?, it still says two portable on psn store for every game (but I guess they may not of updated it on psn store game pages yet)

you can also go to the psn store to see compatible games

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...tible-games/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSTVCOMPATIBLE
It is 3 now, they just didn't update game description.

And I find that PSN store to be slightly inaccurate on compatible games. For example, Atelier Rorona Plus doesn't show up under PS TV compatible game, even though it runs fine on PS TV.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course Tearaway isn't PS TV compatible >_>

That's the only Vita game I own at the moment that I haven't played... that and a few freebies/minigame things.

Meh, the games I have are mostly ones that aren't compatible with it from what I see. Touch My Katamari was another, but obviously that requires the touch screen so it makes sense it's not compatible.

At this point I'm inclined to not get one unless someone hands me $100 LOL

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Of course Tearaway isn't PS TV compatible >_>

That's the only Vita game I own at the moment that I haven't played... that and a few freebies/minigame things.

Meh, the games I have are mostly ones that aren't compatible with it from what I see. Touch My Katamari was another, but obviously that requires the touch screen so it makes sense it's not compatible.
Tearaway also uses Touchscreen + Rear Touchpad.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone know if project diva f (the first one) is pstv compatible? it says on game detail screen that some features are not available on playstation tv (which implies that its compatible) but a dialog box opens saying its not compatible. Other games popped that dialog box and were still compatible.

For example lego the movie, which came with my pstv bundle has popped the dialog box saying its not compatible.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
anyone know if project diva f (the first one) is pstv compatible? it says on game detail screen that some features are not available on playstation tv (which implies that its compatible) but a dialog box opens saying its not compatible. Other games popped that dialog box and were still compatible.

For example lego the movie, which came with my pstv bundle has popped the dialog box saying its not compatible.
On Japanese version of Project Diva f, it'll only run on PS TV if you use DS4 controller. Not sure about other version.

Also make sure you update to the latest firmware and click update on LiveArea screen. That should update the whitelist stored inside PS TV.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ff3 is now working on pstv, I mentioned earlier it was not compatible

I am sure other games are compatible too since psn store updates today

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Purple_Heart was a SSD worth it? Did it make a significant diference?\