Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
My only question is the following:

When using DVD Decrypter in write mode, it asks me at the bottom what speed to use. I know there is a lot of debate about what speed to use when burning isos, and I've decided I will use the fastest way.

Now, we go on to the actual question. There's an option that says "Max" under the write speed. By max, do they mean the maximum speed that that certain DVD brand can go up to (in my case, 16x on TDK disc), or does it mean the fastest speed possible for DVD Decrypter, which is something extremely high like 56x or something o-o)

I've been using MAX for the past 2 games I've burned, but since I don't have my Swap Magic yet, I cannot test them.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm pretty sure it goes the fastest the media can go, but I don't know for sure. I'm just using rational thinking here, like, say a car has a max speed of 300MPH, but the governor makes it stop at 250MPH. So, the car is capable of 300MPH, but with the governor in it can't go that fast. So say you take out the governor out, you can now go the max speed. So say you put in a 52x DVD, it can now go the max burn speed the DVD player is capable of. But the 16x DVD is like a governor on your DVD player.

Although all this may be wrong and I may have been thinking of cars too much lately.

aZnXrAvEr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you pick Max, it will write as fast as it can--which is 16x for you because that's the fastest your disc can go, even though your burner can go to 56x.

BigX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
its simple the fastest speed the media AND the burner support.
e.g.
burner supports: 2, 4, 20
media supports: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16
The disc shall be burnt at 4x speed.

paul1991

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im not trying to grave dig, but I have heard that the faster you burn the ISOs, the longer the loading times. Burn it as slow as possible for fastest loading times.

BigX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
Im not trying to grave dig, but I have heard that the faster you burn the ISOs, the longer the loading times. Burn it as slow as possible for fastest loading times.
that must be a rule of the thump or some urban legend.
May be right sometimes but there is no scientifical way to proof this (for all media and all burner/firmwares).

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slower speeds on media designed to be written to faster can actually cause problems. The dyes used in the discs are designed to react to certain amounts of exposure, and burning at slower speed will cause 'over exposure' and may cause issues.

Usually 4x is the 'safe' zone if you run into problems. At 4x, the dvd drive does not have to change speed. When you write at 16x, the drive usually starts around 4x, then as it reaches the edge of the disc, will appoach 16x. This can cause issues on cheap media. 4x is usually the 'minimum' recommended speed for high speed discs too.

Not that any of these rules are hard and fast. Different combinations of media and hardware may produces variety of results. But as long as you are using decent media (usually the main cause of issues), and a decent brand of hardware, you shouldn't run into many issues.

BigX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
slower speed will cause 'over exposure'
that's another urban legend.
a sector is a sector on a disc not matter how many sectors you write per second! But some write speeds are poorly implemented in some firmwares. If the media is newer than the used firmware the user should update the burners firmware to improve the results. If you have a rather old burner with no new firmware available you can almost sure exchange that burner as it will remain useless with the time.
Though every burner is alowed to burn with a certain power to the media. The results may vary if you burner uses the upper or lower part of the tolerance or even exceed it. Some other drives might not read the discs correctly. But still this might be resolved with a firmware update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-