Hacking Semi-Brick, Need Assistance Please

EphGirl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys... I put BLIND 2.0 on my SD card and its working! What do I do to un-brick my Wii? I won't touch anything until I get a reply. I have the BLIND app loaded and running. Please advise ASAP!

EphGirl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well here's what I did:

I ran BLIND 2.0 and I stayed in the program. I used ModMii to make me WADs of SysMenu 4.1 (the one I was on prior) and also of the Mii Channel (which was giving me an error about being unable to load channel data.

I installed both WADs and the SysMenu now loads and works. However, it freezes randomly. Once it froze at the Settings menu. And right now it froze running a SysCheck on my IOSes. Has anyone experienced this random freezing even after a probably brick fix? I'm beginning to wonder if the Wii's hardware is faulty?

EphGirl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup. I was on 4.1U. Then I tried to change it to 4.2U. Now I am back on 4.1U. It freezes randomly. I can sometimes get to HBC, and sometimes on the SysMenu. It's freezing randomly. I am wondering if I need to find my original NAND backup and restore that for a complete re-do?

EphGirl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do. It's just backed up on an external hard drive that I have to find the power cable for. I did a NAND dump many years ago. Can I load BootMii from HBC? That's the only way I think I can get to it.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I do. It's just backed up on an external hard drive that I have to find the power cable for. I did a NAND dump many years ago. Can I load BootMii from HBC? That's the only way I think I can get to it.

Boot2 does never get deleted, so yeah I think you can load bootmii.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9778sgmybexww1o/giantpune's_Nand_Tools.zip
http://gbatemp.net/threads/ohneswanzenegger-wii-entry-pc-software.279750/
1- put a proper bootmii folder on sd:\
If you do not have one, dl hackmii and put boot.elf on sd:\
Load boot.elf via B.L.I.N.D. app loader
Remove sd card and delete sd:\bootmii\
Put sd card back in wii, install bootmii as boot2, then prepare sd card
Then reboot wii, bootmii should load
Make a new nand backup
Copy nand backup to pc, make a backup copy of the backup on pc (two backups on pc)
Open ohneswanzenegger, open the nand.bin bootmii backup
Format the nand.bin with ohneswanzenegger
Install system menu files 4.3u via ohneswanzenegger on the nand.bin
Make a proper setting.txt with proper serial number for wii with ohneswanzenegger when asked
Exit ohneswanzenegger
Now verify the new nand.bin with nandbincheck
Code:
nandbincheck nand.bin -all -vvv
from shell command line console
Nandbincheck should pass without error
Now copy the new nand.bin back to sd:\
Load bootmii, restore the nand backup
You should have a fresh clean 4.3u install that works
Now download modmii and softmod again -you can skip boot2 bootmii install since you have it - do everything else

EphGirl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9778sgmybexww1o/giantpune's_Nand_Tools.zip
http://gbatemp.net/threads/ohneswanzenegger-wii-entry-pc-software.279750/
1- put a proper bootmii folder on sd:\
If you do not have one, dl hackmii and put boot.elf on sd:\
Load boot.elf via B.L.I.N.D. app loader
Remove sd card and delete sd:\bootmii\
Put sd card back in wii, install bootmii as boot2, then prepare sd card
Then reboot wii, bootmii should load
Make a new nand backup
Copy nand backup to pc, make a backup copy of the backup on pc (two backups on pc)
Open ohneswanzenegger, open the nand.bin bootmii backup
Format the nand.bin with ohneswanzenegger
Install system menu files 4.3u via ohneswanzenegger on the nand.bin
Make a proper setting.txt with proper serial number for wii with ohneswanzenegger when asked
Exit ohneswanzenegger
Now verify the new nand.bin with nandbincheck
Code:
nandbincheck nand.bin -all -vvv
from shell command line console
Nandbincheck should pass without error
Now copy the new nand.bin back to sd:\
Load bootmii, restore the nand backup
You should have a fresh clean 4.3u install that works
Now download modmii and softmod again -you can skip boot2 bootmii install since you have it - do everything else

Thank you so much for this reply! I am going to use it as my tutorial to do this!! You're awesome.

So I've never used "ohneswanzenegger" before but I downloaded it. I see where you open the nand file: "Search" and then how do I add SysMenu 4.3 to it within the app? Do I load it via a WAD file created from ModMii?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Updating the system menu and thereby removing Priiloader was a bad choice. You didn't know what the issue was, so taking the risk of removing Priiloader for something that might not even help was a really bad idea.
BootMii as boot2 is helpful though, but it sounds like the files in the bootmii folder on your SD are not in order. Does the disc light flash twice when you power on the Wii? If not, you don't have BootMii installed as boot2.
If you can get BootMii working then you can run any homebrew that might help you fix this. It sounds like something has caused your system menu and Mii data to corrupt, probably along with some other things. The best course of action might be to restore your NAND backup, to make sure you don't have any corrupted files left over on your NAND, but of course you will lose any progress on saved games since then unless you back them up first. You can use Savegame Manager GX to do this.

EphGirl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I reinstalled Bootmii as boot2, but the Wii does not reboot into Bootmii at all. Still a black screen. If I push power button once, the blue led light over the disc area just keep blinking on/off. That's it.

If I mess w/ removing the SD card, and holding down Reset/Power together, sometimes the Wii boots to the Health warning screen, then to the System Menu. From there it either works or freezes. I can get to HBC from there too. I do not know what's wrong...

EphGirl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update... I am back in the System Menu. I will not do anything until someone replies here! For the record, BootMii will not load after re-installation OR trying to load it from HBC. It just black screens then led blinks blue repeatedly.

So for now, time to time, I can just get back in my system menu AND load HBC. What can I do from here? This is all I can get into right now.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Open up SD:\bootmii\bootmii.ini with Wordpad (NOT Notepad) and replace its contents with this:
Code:
# Video mode, possible settings:
# NTSC, PAL50, PAL60, PROGRESSIVE
VIDEO=NTSC

# Autoboot, possible settings:
# SYSMENU, HBC
AUTOBOOT=SYSMENU
BOOTDELAY=2
You should see bootmii for 2 seconds everytime you turn your Wii on. Unless you press POWER, it will load the System Menu after that.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Load the hackmii installer again, take the sd card out and delete sd:\bootmii, then put it back into the wii. In the hackmii installer go to bootmii and prepare the sd card.

Only if JoosinOnline suggestion does not help.

Reactions: JoostinOnline

EphGirl

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are there any other homebrew apps besides bootmii that can restore a nand backup? Also, I have an old nand backup from a different Wii on my computer (friend's Wii from last year). Could I use this nand backup with ohneswanzenegger to make my new 4.3 updated nand backup? Because at this point, I am having difficulty getting bootmii to load at all. I may have to try to installing it as IOS since I believe as boot2 could be the issue even though it used to be installed as boot2.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
reinstall it as ios and as boot2 and prepare the sd card again. It should work. Install priiloader also if your sm is not loading reliably, then use that to load hbc/bootmii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1