Gaming Seiken Densetsu Collection for Switch announced

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Seiken Densetsu is a japanese RPG/Action Adventure series that is known in the west as the Mana series. Square Enix has announced that three games of that series are coming to the Switch this June in Japan in form of a collection.

The collection includes

- Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden (known as Final Fantasy Adventure / Mystic Quest /Sword of Mana)

- Seiken Densetsu 2 (known as Secret of Mana)

- Seiken Densetsu 3 (Didn't get a western release at all, but was nonetheless known as Secret of Mana 2 here)

Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3 will retain their 3 player multiplayer mode and support save states. There will also be a jukebox where you can listen to the soundtrack. Release is June 1st and price is 4800 Yen.
:arrow: Source

Jizzed... In my pants...

Remember that the Switch is region-free. You will have to create a japanese Nintendo account and link it with your Switch in order to access the japanese eShop.

Don't forget to set up a fake Japanese address for Amazon.co.jp so you can buy Nintendo Prepaid cards at face value instead of the jacked up prices on Play Asia.

I used Fukushima Daiichi, as a tribute to all the souls that were lost there.

Nippon gooooo!

giphy.gif

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really interested. i have all the versions on the original systems. I created my own reproduction cart of Seiken Densetsu 3. What they really need to do is make a new game just like those. not a re-release or port but a brand new game.

Stoopidfox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://www.reddit.com/r/secretofma...ken_densetsu_collection_shares_a_look_at_its/

Two things on Twitter to comment at... One is Seiken_PR, other is hor11 (twitter of the prez of developer M2, who is doing the port)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, maybe someone can also post about this news on RHDN. I am sure that this news will spread like wildfire. The hashtag #localizemana is already trending. Square really needs to see the fan demand for this game in ENGLISH not to mention other languages.

Lina'chan who worked on the fan translation is in contact with M2. Maybe Neil Corlett and the others could actually be hired by M2 to do the official localization of SD3 for the western market.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170501-025819.png
    Screenshot_20170501-025819.png
    979.8 KB · Views: 123

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://www.reddit.com/r/secretofma...ken_densetsu_collection_shares_a_look_at_its/

Two things on Twitter to comment at... One is Seiken_PR, other is hor11 (twitter of the prez of developer M2, who is doing the port)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, maybe someone can also post about this news on RHDN. I am sure that this news will spread like wildfire. The hashtag #localizemana is already trending. Square really needs to see the fan demand for this game in ENGLISH not to mention other languages.

Lina'chan who worked on the fan translation is in contact with M2. Maybe Neil Corlett and the others could actually be hired by M2 to do the official localization of SD3 for the western market.

Do they really think Square would take the time to localize such a text-heavy game like that? This is SE we're talking about, they couldn't even bother to port FFIX to Steam themselves, but used Silicon Studios and they botched up the sounds big time.

Stoopidfox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"What they really need to do is make a new game just like those. not a re-release or port but a brand new game."

There was Adventures of Mana that made it onto PS Vita, in english, thanks to noisy fans hitting them up for it. But it's more or less a fancy 3d graphical remake of FF Adventure / Seiken Densetsu 1 / Sword of Mana.

I wholeheartedly agree that they need to make a new Mana game that DOESN'T suck like everything made after SD3, but, they aren't going to see there is a demand for simple action Rpg stuff in the vein of SoM & SD3 until we show them that this is what we want....

Last edited by Stoopidfox,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"What they really need to do is make a new game just like those. not a re-release or port but a brand new game."

There was Adventures of Mana that made it onto PS Vita, in english, thanks to noisy fans hitting them up for it. But it's more or less a fancy 3d graphical remake of FF Adventure / Seiken Densetsu 1 / Sword of Mana.

I wholeheartedly agree that they need to make a new Mana game that DOESN'T suck like everything made after SD3, but, they aren't going to see there is a demand for simple action Rpg stuff in the vein of SoM & SD3 until we show them that this is what we want....

Apparently the thread on Reddit urges people to spam Square Enix's twitter with the phrase このゲームを英語に翻訳してください!!! (Please translate this game into English!!!) but knowing how they work, I wouldn't trust them to do it.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Meh... I don't give a fuck too much, I will speak with my wallet afterwards.
If this is released with Seiken Densetsu 3 in English I will get it, because I want to play that game with an official translation.
If it doesn't I will just not buy.

But I can very well live without Seiken Densetsu 3, and worst case scenario I would just run the fan translation if I get the urge.

Spamming Squaresoft don't give a fuck about Enix wouldn't accomplish anything IMHO.

Stoopidfox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"If a translation exists, Square Enix would have it, not us. If not, I don't think it's impossible to make one but we haven't looked into it. If you really want an Eng ver, I think the best chance would be to show Square Enix your enthusiasm."

This isn't going to happen unless fans directly tell them it is wanted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170501-112301.png
    Screenshot_20170501-112301.png
    108.4 KB · Views: 156

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go look at what the prez of M2 said...
https://mobile.twitter.com/hor11/status/849218230350602240

Lina'chan even offered to help if approached.

I still wouldn't recommend holding your breath, translating a game takes a long time. The west has been screwed over too many times with Japan exclusive BS.

"If a translation exists, Square Enix would have it, not us. If not, I don't think it's impossible to make one but we haven't looked into it. If you really want an Eng ver, I think the best chance would be to show Square Enix your enthusiasm."

Then they should, but what can we say?

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

It will just not happen, if it is not an easy buck, Square Enix will not do it, no matter how many children cry in twitter.

Stoopidfox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"If this is released with Seiken Densetsu 3 in English I will get it, because I want to play that game with an official translation. If it doesn't I will just not buy."

Oy vey... That's the main point of the fan campaign. To get Square to see that an official english localization is wanted by the fans of the game.

Being angsty and bitter isn't going to get us shit.

Look at all the folks on that hashtag. Trying to show their support and desire.

Yes, you can play the game already by way of the fan translation, but many people want to actually "talk with their wallets" by buying the game if it gets a localization.

It's the same principle as like back in the early to mid 2000s, the only way to get albums by the japanese band Dir en grey was to download off p2p file sharing programs, then a bunch of english speaking fans started to go on the website for their label (Free Will by way of their english forum Free Will America) and be like "If you sold their CDs over here we'd buy them, if you sent DeG here for tours, we'd go see them."

Free Will heard the fans. Then in 2006 Withering to Death hits U.S. store shelves. I bought that shit soon as I saw it. Bought every US release of DeG albums since. Marrow of a Bone, Uroboros etc.

Then they did shows in the states. I went to every show they did in Portland Oregon... 2007, 2008, 2010 because I loved the band and wanted to support them. I didn't want to JUST download their music or buy crappy bootlegs put out by Miya Records (chinese bootleg outfit).

I wanted to SUPPORT THE BAND. And I did everything I could to let other DeG fans know they were coming to Portland, made and handed out fliers all over downtown PDX, felt joy every time I bumped into another Dir en grey fan who was excited to get to see them perform live.

Same with Square. Yes they have been shitty and they turned the Mana series into shit, but they CAN redeem themselves. 1: By making SD3 available to a western market which will 2: make them realize what a GOOD mana game is supposed to be like.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
"If this is released with Seiken Densetsu 3 in English I will get it, because I want to play that game with an official translation. If it doesn't I will just not buy."

Oy vey... That's the main point of the fan campaign. To get Square to see that an official english localization is wanted by the fans of the game.

Actually, as I said, I am quite emotionless about it.
I won't move my ass and do Square Enix's work to get them a buck.
If they care, they should do the market analysis and pay them themselves.
As for me, if it is released I buy, otherwise I feel it for Square Enix's loss.

I really, really, don't want to move my ass for Square Enix, the hell, they should do their work, I am not their bitch.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Look at all the folks on that hashtag. Trying to show their support and desire.

Yes, you can play the game already by way of the fan translation, but many people want to actually "talk with their wallets" by buying the game if it gets a localization.

It's the same principle as like back in the early to mid 2000s, the only way to get albums by the japanese band Dir en grey was to download off p2p file sharing programs, then a bunch of english speaking fans started to go on the website for their label (Free Will) and be like "If you sold their CDs over here we'd buy them, if you sent DeG here for tours, we'd go see them.

Then in 2006 Withering to Death hits U.S. store shelves. I bought that shit soon as i saw it.

Then they did shows in the states. I went to every show they did in Portland Oregon... 2007, 2008, 2010 because I loved the band and wanted to support them. I didn't want to JUST download their music or buy crappy bootlegs put out by Miya Records (chinese bootleg outfit).

I wanted to SUPPORT THE BAND. And I did everything I could to let other DeG fans know they were coming to Portland, made and handed out fliers all over downtown PDX, felt joy every time I bumped into another Dir en grey fan who was excited to get to see them perform live.

Same with Square. Yes they have been shitty and they turned the Mana series into shit, but they CAN redeem themselves. 1: By making SD3 available to a western market which will 2: make them realize what a GOOD mana game is supposed to be like.

But do you think enough people are going to band together and actually get a huge company like them to listen to non-native Japanese people? They care about more about themselves than people outside of Japan, no? Translating this should be a given, they should know there are people outside of their safe space the enjoy the series.

Stoopidfox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But do you think enough people are going to band together and actually get a huge company like them to listen to non-native Japanese people? They care about more about themselves than people outside of Japan, no?

And Dir en grey didn't even know they HAD fans outside Japan, UNTIL the fans in USA, UK, Brazil, Russia proved otherwise. Square doesn't have to live in a bubble either.

Can we not just express the tiniest little sliver of optimism? The whole point of the #localizemana campaign is to get Square to acknowledge there is a market for this game and the collection in general. How are they even supposed to know if we aren't telling them?

Same principle as the whole J-Rock fandom shit. "We can't buy what isn't made available to us, and if it isn't available through official means, we'll just get it illegally and you won't get any of that sweet sweet weeaboo money. BUT, if you make it available to us by way of a U.S. label, we will buy your shit because we want to show support."

I know I can just play the emulated rom in english. Annnnd, I can just go torrent a Dir en grey album for free and not pay a dime for the pleasure. But maybe I actually want to support what I love? Maybe others actually want to support what they love?

I am not saying "emulation is bad" I'm saying it's a tie-over until we get the game in english legally... Like how downloading DeG albums was a tie-over until I could buy their music legally. Once I saw that shit in stores I "spoke with my wallet."

I ~WANT~ to speak to Square with my wallet, if they will let me. But not for an UNTRANSLATED GAME.

And they, like Dir en grey, probably have no clue people outside of Japan WANT this shit...

WE have to tell them.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It is not the same, first you can just import a Dir en grey album. You don't need a translation.
In the other hand it is not comparable to a multi-billion company like Square, that already has subsidiaries in the West, they have released many games, and they have the resources to do a market study on their own.
And out of respect, that is what they should do, a market study.
This multi-billion company not doing it on their own is like they taking a piss on fans.

Stoopidfox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not the same, first you can just import a Dir en grey album. You don't need a translation.

I ~can~ import it, yes, for way more than I would pay for an audio CD of music whose lyrics I can't interpret without the help of someone else's translations (remember Centigrade-J? Brian Boo Stewart's old site from mid 2000? Fun times.)

I can throw down for an import of whatever album, and sure, if I get it direct from CDJapan or YesAsia, maybe that money goes to the band and label.

But imo things work out better when they pair up with a western distributor like Warcon or The End and get their shit onto U.S. shelves at standard U.S. prices. Had to argue this point with people on Batsu and Jrock_Wank, lol.

Sure, they have to licence their music to the western distributor, but it gets them more exposure outside their native country. Touring over here also gave those supportive fans a chance to see them play instead of just watching their live vids online.

If they had just been like "fuck you, we're staying in Japan and so are our albums" they would have never gotten that exposure and opened those doors.

SD3 doesn't have to stay Japan only. And it shouldn't. There are enough people out there who have played the fan translation, enough people on that hashtag who outright say "If this got official localization, we'd buy it" to warrant the hiring of translation staff to make it happen.

Fuck, they could just use Neill's patch or if that isn't good enough, hire fucking Ted Woolsey.

M2's twitter says "if you want it, tell Square. It isn't impossible, we just haven't looked into it" because as far as Square is concerned, nobody outside of their native land knows SD3 is a thing. They probably aren't browsing english language fan sites about SD3, just like Dir en grey weren't browsing for english language fan pages about their music.

So many interviews with the members of the band are like "We were surprised people in these other countries even knew us."

SD3 is a magnificent game and it deserves to get an official localization.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ~can~ import it, yes, for way more than I would pay for an audio CD of music whose lyrics I can't interpret without the help of someone else's translations (remember Centigrade-J? Brian Boo Stewart's old site from mid 2000? Fun times.)

I can throw down for an import of whatever album, and sure, if I get it direct from CDJapan or YesAsia, maybe that money goes to the band and label.

But imo things work out better when they pair up with a western distributor like Warcon or The End and get their shit onto U.S. shelves at standard U.S. prices. Had to argue this point with people on Batsu and Jrock_Wank, lol.

Sure, they have to licence their music to the western distributor, but it gets them more exposure outside their native country. Touring over here also gave those supportive fans a chance to see them play instead of just watching their live vids online.

If they had just been like "fuck you, we're staying in Japan and so are our albums" they would have never gotten that exposure and opened those doors.

SD3 doesn't have to stay Japan only. And it shouldn't. There are enough people out there who have played the fan translation, enough people on that hashtag who outright say "If this got official localization, we'd buy it" to warrant the hiring of translation staff to make it happen.

Fuck, they could just use Neill's patch or if that isn't good enough, hire fucking Ted Woolsey.

M2's twitter says "if you want it, tell Square. It isn't impossible, we just haven't looked into it" because as far as Square is concerned, nobody outside of their native land knows SD3 is a thing. They probably aren't browsing english language fan sites about SD3, just like Dir en grey weren't browsing for english language fan pages about their music.

So many interviews with the members of the band are like "We were surprised people in these other countries even knew us."

SD3 is a magnificent game and it deserves to get an official localization.

Do you honestly think they can translate the game by the time it's released in June? Do you think they would actually listen to someone outside of Japan?

Stoopidfox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you honestly think they can translate the game by the time it's released in June?

We've waited since how long? 1995 when they first teased screencaps of the game in Nintendo Power??? We can wait as long as it takes.

Attachments

• sd3-splayscans3ktx.jpg
    sd3-splayscans3ktx.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 203

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o