Hardware SD Media Launcher - GC/Wii softmod?

khan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pakistan
http://uk.codejunkies.com/news_reviews.asp...p=23&i=9063&s=8

Anyone seen or heard much about these?

I assume they're a 'disc-swapping' GC softmod that allows you to play Homebrew GC, emulators and backs-ups on the GC/Wii via an SD card/memory slot device...

SD Gecko VS SD Media Launcher

Taken from tehskeen:

QUOTESure there are lots of modchips for GameCube/Wii, but homebrew software (BIOSes to run backups, emulators, homebrew games, mp3 players,...) can be played in a more easy way without the need to be burned in some media. I'm talking about run homebrew stuff through SD cards. You don't need to open your home system, so you do not loose the warranty and risk your pretty system. You don't need to spend time and money in burning a new disc each time you want to change the content, the version of some program, add a new mp3,... you simply move them to a SD card, and play it through SD Gecko or SD Media Launcher method. I see there is some confusion about them, so I compare both SD methods here.

SD Gecko adapter

Stuff needed:

SD Gecko + Action Replay (a version that let you add new code, since Datel removed it in latest version) Or SD Gecko + modchip (to launch a SDLoad self booting disc or an Action Replay backup)

Homebrew compatibility:

100% compatibility. Sdload is the old pioneer menu system that allows to run homebrew software from SD cards with the help of an Action Replay disc. The GameCube homebrew stuff have been made and tested to work through sdload, since it was the traditional way for SD cards.

Price:

SD Gecko adapter can be found new in ebay for about 20USD shipping included
Action Replay can be found in some online shops for around 20USD
Total price is lower than 50$

Other comments:

With Action Replay you don't only get a disc to launch sdload. Action Replay is a product that lets you run lots of unofficial cheats for most GameCube games (cheats that will unlock secrets, hidden characters, will help you to success in the game, funny cheats,...). Futhermore Action Replay includes Freeloader that allows to play games from other regions.

Pros:

+You get more for less $ (SD method + best cheat system + freeloader)
+100% homebrew compatibility

Cons:

-More complex (you need to follow this tutorial to get it working)

SD Media Launcher

Stuff needed:

Disc and SD adapter all included in the same SD Media Launcher package

Homebrew compatibility:

Lower compatibility. Datel fastly did a sdload clone after Wii launch, but it misses some stuff and not all the homebrew software works on it since the homebrew software was made to work on sdload firstly.

Price:

SD Media Launcher is 50$ shipping not included

Other comments:

With this package you don't need to buy anything more. You get all the needed stuff to get it working, so it is more simple than SD Gecko + Action Replay. Furthermore, to get sdload running in Action Replay, you need to enter a long code. With SD Media Launcher you get all ready to work.

Other thing homebrew scene lovers should care is the fact that Datel removed in newest version of Action Replay the 'add code' feature (the feature that allowed to play to some amazing new codes such as play with Sandbag or Crazy Hand in SSBM) so people with newest version can't load sdload and needs to buy the SD Media Launcher instead of an additional SD Gecko. To sum up, Datel made a worst version of their Action Replay simply as an attempt to make still more $$$ from the homebrew scene.

Pros:

+More easy (all in the same package ready to work)

Cons:

-You get less for more $ (only sd method)
-Lower homebrew compatibility
-You give more money to a company that only cares about money, not customers

Well, that's all. Hope you enjoyed this comparison, and don't forget to ask if you have some question!

I could have linked, but then again you might have had to register. Just try to get hold of AR+SD Gecko or Max Drive Pro.

slightlyaskew

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So this new SD Media Launcher is less compatable for homebrew? That makes no sense.

I wonder what the compatability issues are in terms of homebrew too? Ideally I'd like a media player, some emulation and the ability to play backups.

It seems that the Action Replay/Gecko is the better option, but is harder to set up, and probably harder to buy too... (esp here in the UK).

EddyB

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
This method sucks, I suggest you get your Wii modded the old fashion way
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat