Hacking SCSDMini vs. EZ4 vs. M3PSD

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are many reasons why you might want to choose EZ4 instead of SuperCard mini-SD:

-EZ4's mini-SD card slot isn't exposed while inserted into DS Phat, it looks better and safer

LOL, funny as hell as most people want to be able to remove the media without taking out the flash cart! With the SC you can pop out the media 1..2...3 and add new games without doing more then poping the card in your media reader and adding files! And the media is far in the slot and is not poping out anytime soon even if you did hit it.

-EZ4 has the best GBA compatibility and speed, better than M3 and of course SuperCard which is horrible at GBA

Yeah it does at the lack of DS support!

-EZ4 has skinning support and lots of nice looking skins available

Skinning is good but takes up memory that could otherwise be used for more games. Not to mention I don't spend more then 5 seconds in the menu, do you?

-EZ4 has faster ROM loading time

BS, as SC's is less then 2 seconds at most and I've heard the EZ's is the same if not longer!

-EZ4's client is easier to use, choose a rom and click the send button and you're done

SC's is just add roms to convert, convert them and add to your media. How hard is that, not to mention you saved a bit of time not having to take the EZ out of the DS just to remove the media!

WINNER = STILL SUPERCARD AND M3!

EDIT: I know about saving with the GBA games but its not that hard and its worth it for better DS game saving.
wink.gif

FifthE1ement

yee

OP
Trophies
Website
revscene.net
XP
Country
Canada
"EZ4's mini-SD card slot isn't exposed while inserted into DS Phat, it looks better and safer" I've thought about that, and the solution: dumdumdum - TWEEZERS! LOL

"EZ4 has skinning support and lots of nice looking skins available," it's a nice feature to have.

"SC's is just add roms to convert, convert them and add to your media. How hard is that, not to mention you saved a bit of time not having to take the EZ out of the DS just to remove the media!" A few seconds doesn't bother me.

I guess I could buy the EZ4 and try it for a while, Jandaman does have a 30 refund if I'm not satisfied, lol. I dunno, maybe I like the EZ4 so much I'm stubborn on the aspects, haha.

But doesn't the EZ4 have support for some ROMs other carts can't run at the moment?

As long as I can play New Super Mario Bros / Mario Kart / Mario64 DS / Tetris and Animal Crossing, I'm pretty good for a good while if the newer games aren't supported and wait for updates.

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@FifthE1ement
I guess it all comes down to personal perference, I just can't stand having mini-SD slot of my flashcart exposed when I'm carrying my DS around. And to me it looks and feels better when the surface of the cart exposed is clean and flat when put into DS Phat.

If you want GBA rom to work flawlessly like original cart and the flash cart to fit flush with DS Phat, go with EZ4.

By the way, skins for EZ4 does not take up space on the mini-SD memory. I guess I can't expect you to know that since you never changed a skin before because SuperCard can't do that.
rofl2.gif

Your replies sounds like you're trying to cover up SuperCard's serious flaws - talking about DS rom support as response to the fact that SuperCard have horrible gba support.

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
scmini2od8.jpg

As you can tell the slot is very small and you don't even notice it. The pciture is with the miniSD media inside the slot so how is it exposed? Its much easier not to have to take out the whole flashcart to change media and even GBATEMP says the same in their review. Oh, and EZ's compatibility can't touch M3's or SuperCard's. Its just not there and lots of NDS games don't work. Only flash the Supercard has its is RAM for the GBA games but other then that its perfect. It would be nice to have skins but I odn't spend more then 5 seconds looking at games before I pick them.

FifthE1ement

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@FifthE1ement
I do, I notice it, the card slot. Exposed is defined as: to make visible, therefore yes it is exposed because I can see it, the slot and the mini-SD inside. As I've said before, it is personal perference, some people just like side-loading better than front-loading when it comes to removeable media based flashcart.

Not spending a long time with the interface does not justify not having a skinning support. Afterall, you will see the interface everytime you turn on your NDS with SuperCard to play a game. Once again, it is personal perference, some people think it's not important, but some do. The most you can do is tell them that the skinning support is not there, and it's a con, rather than covering it up with your personal opinion such as 'oh you only see it for 5 sec so it doesn't matter'.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own both an m3 miniSD and EZ4. Both are good carts to have. In fact I'm having trouble deciding which I'm going to use since I only have one miniSD card and you can only play one DS/GBA at a time.
smile.gif

If you want good DS compatibility either one works just about as well as the other. The only problem is slightly longer load times for the EZ4 and Tony Hawk is slow if the music is on. This is because the access to the memory card is only at a high level right now -- once they get DMA implemented it should be on par with the m3. It's not a real dealbreaker since only one game is affected (other than the Castlevania intro which is about useless).

I haven't really played much on the GBA side with either of them but from all the posts I have read the m3 GBA playing isn't nearly as good as its DS playing. The EZ4 is said to have pretty good compatibility but some people have had problems with games that are 16M and bigger. I think this is less of a problem now since I haven't heard about it much lately.

AFAIK there aren't any DS games that the EZ4 can handle and the m3 can't.

To elaborate on martin88's reply: The EZ4 stores the skin inside of the loader (firmware) and you can easily add your own skin into it with some programs. The downside is that you can't change the skin on the fly like with the m3 (for which I love the skinning functionality).
smile.gif

The bottom line is that the EZ4 is good for people who just want to play a game and don't care about any options like soft reset, game linking, etc and who will save a lot of money by getting it instead. The m3 is good for people who don't mind paying more and want the other options. The EZ4 is still pretty new too so it's got a lot of room to grow. I wouldn't be surprised if it caught up to the m3 in functionality -- at 1/2 to 1/3 the price.

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just read the review for the EZ4 by GBAtemp here.

"I did however notice minor slowdowns in a few games, such as slightly longer pauses in between menus, and a little bit of in game lag on a couple of the more graphic/data intensive games."

Thats sad considering the miniSD in the test setup is a Samsung rated at 60X. Most of you have Sandisk or Kingston rated at 20X which will make it lag to death. And users in another board post that Metroid Prime Hunters, Animal Crossing, and Tony Hawk lag so much that it makes it hard to play the game.

And GBA performance on the SuperCard is not as bad as everyone thinks, There is a GBA compatibility chart for the SuperCard which shows which games work and which do not and less then 10% do not so whats all the fuss. All the "known" games like Pokemon, Mario, GTA, Kingdom Hearts work without any problems.

FifthE1ement

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@FifthE1ement
"I did however notice minor slowdowns in a few games, such as slightly longer pauses in between menus, and a little bit of in game lag on a couple of the more graphic/data intensive games."

If you want to quote, quote enough information so we can get the whole picture.

"Some of these are possibly the fault of my slow/cheap mini-SD card, but none of them were a real bother to me at all and didn't detract from the gameplay at all. "

Just to clarify, I own a Kingston mini-SD and have not experienced any in-game slowdowns that detracts me from the game, just like the review claimed.

As of the GBA compatibility, well, if according to you only 10% of the GBA game does not work on SuperCard isn't a big deal, I wonder what THE fuss is about EZ4's DS's compatibility since the percentage of DS games that doesn't work on EZ4 is also around 10%. Not to mention that all the so called 'known' title also works EZ4 without a problem.

Be consistent please.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@FifthE1ement

If you want to quote, quote enough information so we can get the whole picture.

"Some of these are possibly the fault of my slow/cheap mini-SD card, but none of them were a real bother to me at all and didn't detract from the gameplay at all. "

Just to clarify, I own a Kingston mini-SD and have not experienced any in-game slowdowns that detracts me from the game, just like the review claimed.

As of the GBA compatibility, well, if according to you only 10% of the GBA game does not work on SuperCard isn't a big deal, I wonder what THE fuss is about EZ4's DS's compatibility since the percentage of DS games that doesn't work on EZ4 is also around 10%. Not to mention that all the so called 'known' title also works EZ4 without a problem.

Be consistent please.

Yes, but GBA compatability is less important than DS compatability.

gryto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
FifthE1ement:
Just to clarify something about the M3...
You said that you have to restart the DS to "make sure" the game is saved. That isn't really a negative, it's just how the saving system works.
You patch the game, play, and it backs it up when you turn on. It's all very transparent and there is no "worrying" or "making sure".

kutis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia

one does not need to bash one flash cart in order to promote the other...

the point is... if u only want to turn on ur ds play the game n happy about it.. yes SC does that very well... in term of UI (i mean within the DS -- not the patching app) u have to agree that it has the worst looking ui... EZ4 has the best skinning system (my -m3 user- friend is jealous of my nintendo dot com - yoshi skin >> http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?t=1548)

oh, and i think the new m3 perfect (still chinese) does not have that extra mm check out the pics >> http://www.psxbox.net/?gOo=Z29vZHNfZGV0YWl...3Q&goodsid=1240

as for the nopass device for ez4.. u can use either mk4 key or ezpass3

snes on ds is still a dream that we hope one day might come true... to quote myself on the 2nd post.. i will get the next flash cart that can run snes (even only run snes) in ds...

the ez4 compability list is does not show the slowdown games because it is not major... it does not ruin the gameplay and u prolly wont notice it because of the fact that u dun have any point of comparison... the most reported major slowdown are the castlevania intro fmv (which i didnt know exist until recently) and tony hawk game when the music change track -- this does not affect me coz i dun play that game... as a matter of fact.. i dun like any 3d games on ds... and most of the 3d games that exist... kof rules!!

edit: if u're not a picky guy (or gal) u'd be happy with any of these 3...

Nocturno

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Venezuela
I´ve had the 3 of them, M3, EZ4 and SC, and the one I like the most is m3, it´s nicely built and it has good support, I think the software is the better looking, and I got the best results with m3 playing castlevania intro using the same miniSD card..
ez4 is the better looking cart, and I think it is the better built (it looks more solid, in my opinion)..
SC looks nice (don´t like the color though), the software is ugly, and I don´t know but I think its components aren´t the best, I keep having this ramdom memory errors..

the only complain I had with m3 is that it sticks out the DS a little bit, but I just bought the new version of the M3 miniSD and it´s smaller and doesn´t stick out.. you can get the english version from Divineo China..

yee

OP
Trophies
Website
revscene.net
XP
Country
Canada
P.S.

If I don't have a NoPass device atm, can I still run GBA roms off my EZ-Flash IV?

Cause I plan to buy it, but Jandaman doesn't have an EZPass3 in stock to run DS roms.

yee

OP
Trophies
Website
revscene.net
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, thanks.

I decided to buy the EZPass3/EZFlashIV from WinsunX, got it shipped off for 82CAD which is a pretty sweet deal.

Now I have to buy a mini-SD card. What speed is recommended?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SMG4 @ SMG4: hi