Homebrew SCFW: Custom Firmware & Kernel for Supercard

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I attempted to use v0.3.1. I can load the kernel.gba but subsequent loading of any game results in SDRAM write failed critical failure
That sounds like a hardware fault. If you hold L+R with the original firmware while booting the cartridge, it should enter self-test mode. Then you can press A to test SDRAM.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
So I was speaking with @Scarlet she goes she has this problem.

its a Micro SD to SD adapter, FAT formatted 1GB Micro SD card

photo_2024-02-04_22-34-31.jpg

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was reading your post about the CF for the SC, I tried to run it on mine but I gave an error of wrong Flash id
Compile your own build with the flash ID of your chip and the appropriate commands to read and write directly to it.

yeah she goes nothing boots
Then, your only option would be to reprogram the flash chip to have the appropriate firmware using an EPROM programmer.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Then, your only option would be to reprogram the flash chip to have the appropriate firmware using an EPROM programmer.
The flash chip in the Supercard is used to store the firmware and is only 512KB in size.
Games are loaded to SDRAM in the Supercard instead, and no command set is needed to use it. You just read and write halfwords directly.
I'll release a version which warns if any SDRAM errors take place but attempts to continue anyway. If it's only a couple bytes error, the game will probably still work.
Post automatically merged:

yeah she goes nothing boots
I have released version 0.3.2 which will ignore but report SDRAM errors. Please let me know if this helps, how many SDRAM errors she gets, and whether games seem to play okay.

Last edited by metroid maniac,

JORGETECH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I attempted to use v0.3.1. I can load the kernel.gba but subsequent loading of any game results in SDRAM write failed critical failure

Edit: Looks like my miniSD is borked
Which kind of Supercard miniSD are you trying, is it an original or one of the newer (possibly cloned?) ones with a microSD slot? Mine does not report those errors and it's one of the newer ones, I'll attach some photos of mine for reference.

EDIT:
I actually got an SDRAM error right now with Doom II, a bigger ROM. I tested again loading an smaller one and it didn't fail, the weird thing is that now Doom II doesn't give an error!

IMG_8442.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8420.JPG
    IMG_8420.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8426.JPG
    IMG_8426.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8436.JPG
    IMG_8436.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8438.JPG
    IMG_8438.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8440.JPG
    IMG_8440.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 21
Last edited by JORGETECH,

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which kind of Supercard miniSD are you trying, is it an original or one of the newer (possibly cloned?) ones with a microSD slot? Mine does not report those errors and it's one of the newer ones, I'll attach some photos of mine for reference.

EDIT:
I actually got an SDRAM error right now with Doom II, a bigger ROM. I tested again loading an smaller one and it didn't fail, the weird thing is that now Doom II doesn't give an error!

View attachment 418377
My Supercard SD is one of the original ones I got many years ago. I also have the larger Supercard SD (blue) that uses full size SD cards. Getting harder to find miniSD so I hope mine will last for awhile longer. Seems fine so far after format (1 GB size).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Reactions: Micolash

JORGETECH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
My Supercard SD is one of the original ones I got many years ago. I also have the larger Supercard SD (blue) that uses full size SD cards. Getting harder to find miniSD so I hope mine will last for awhile longer. Seems fine so far after format (1 GB size).
Yeah, it's getting harder to find non-HC SD cards. I was able to buy 2 GB SanDisk ones from AliExpress a while ago, I'm not sure about the authenticity but they seem to be holding up for the moment. It may help to search for "industrial" SD cards when buying.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Google Topram 4GB SD card. I can certify that one is one of the few remaining non SDHC 4GB cards out there. I've used it with my Gamecube at one point for my Datel ActionReplay exploit for booting Swiss and that setup required a non SDHC card. ;)

Looks like NewEgg still carries them . ;)

Now if only there was a microSD varient of that 4GB card...I'm sure some non SDHC 4GB MicroSD cards were made back in the day but it seems they are unobtainium now. :(

Reactions: Flame and stl25

davidleeks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Great work. i registered after i saw this post. now testing the v0.3.2, it seems ok with the games i tested. hope the realtime save feature will be added.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Great work. i registered after i saw this post. now testing the v0.3.2, it seems ok with the games i tested. hope the realtime save feature will be added.
Realtime save will be one of the hardest features to add. It is low on the priority list and I cannot promise I will be able to add it.

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Realtime save will be one of the hardest features to add. It is low on the priority list and I cannot promise I will be able to add it.
Loving the current functionality of the firmware and kernel. Soft reset back to game selection menu will be fantastic. Already bookmarked this project to track progress. Keep up the great work.

davidleeks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Noted. thanks for the quick reply on this. i bookmarked this post to check for any update.

Anyway, i still use the SuperCard because i like the "slowdown" feature for some action games, it makes the games easier for me. haha.

Last edited by davidleeks,

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tested 0.3.3 and everything is working fine.

Been enjoying 0.3.3 release. Played about an hour of Castlevania Aria of Sorrow. Saved in game and turned off DS Lite . When I started the game again the save does not autoload. Have not tried any other game.

Last edited by stl25,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4