Hacking Save Nintendo WiFi - A project to save online servers for Wii (and DS) games

Toad King

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would appreciate if you guys logged Phantasy Star 0 for NDS.

It's really important wifi DS game since it supports 4 player co-op online.

And Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time for NDS (This game is also on the Wii too and is multi-platform)

Another 4 player great game online co-op.
I can only make dumps for games I own. We already have some for these games, but I don't know if any actually get in-game in a co-op group. If you can set one up with three other people and get a recording of it that would help.

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
Progress Report

It's been pretty quiet around the project. But it does not mean that we have set it. On the contrary, we are in the implementation and can even celebrate its first successes. So my Wii entered the WFC with only private servers, but then leaved it automatically after a timeout (some other servers missed). But before I could navigate through the WFC.

Nagato and Leseratte have a similar success using Nagatos DWC-Emulator (he has started it for the NDS). In fact, I copied some things from the DWC-Emulator. For performance reasons, I'm gone my own way, which is based on PHP and C.

It seems, that the know-how of all needed is available and the only thing is needed is hard work.

shaneod

Trophies
XP
Country
All dumps I get sent are uploaded to save-nintendo-wifi.com, unless there are issues with them. Or do you mean Wiimm's?
I actually meant Wiim's. I didn't know you'd set up a site with them. I'd been looking for ones on SSBB, and yours had some, so thanks.

I saw them earlier, although thanks for linking them to me. I meant the ones that were parsed with Wiim's DNS server.

I had a look at the capture files, and had pretty much no idea what I was looking at, though :P
They may be of use to developers, though, if made public.

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
I have Gigabytes of MKWii dumps, not worth to upload because analysis is 99% complete (hope so ...)

EDIT:
I actually meant Wiim's. I didn't know you'd set up a site with them. I'd been looking for ones on SSBB, and yours had some, so thanks.
I'll will prepare it for download in the next days. And If I forgot it, please ask again.

TJHeartnote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What has a lot of people concerned is the gen 4 and gen 5 pokemon games. I'm curious what will be the workaround for those?

Thassalar

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Haven't turned on my Wii for quite some time because of work and just heard about Nintendo shutting down the online services. Really uncool.
Now I am glad to see there are people like you out there looking into preserving this. Awesome work!

Does anyone here know if there's already a group somewhere digging into Goldeneye? I did see quite a number of people asking others to do it, but I couldn't find anyone who actually started to do it.
Anyway, I'll start dumping Goldeneye traffic as soon as work allows it and then start to analyze it.

Toad King: Does your SSL tunnelling already work for Goldeneye? I've seen in some other place that you've written about Goldeneye using none-nintendo servers, so I guess you at least had a quick peek.

And if I can help out with something I'll try to do so if time allows it.

Toad King

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't turned on my Wii for quite some time because of work and just heard about Nintendo shutting down the online services. Really uncool.
Now I am glad to see there are people like you out there looking into preserving this. Awesome work!

Does anyone here know if there's already a group somewhere digging into Goldeneye? I did see quite a number of people asking others to do it, but I couldn't find anyone who actually started to do it.
Anyway, I'll start dumping Goldeneye traffic as soon as work allows it and then start to analyze it.

Toad King: Does your SSL tunnelling already work for Goldeneye? I've seen in some other place that you've written about Goldeneye using none-nintendo servers, so I guess you at least had a quick peek.

And if I can help out with something I'll try to do so if time allows it.
The SSL tunnel should work for GoldenEye, but is largely unnecessary for that game. It only uses SSL for talking to the authentication server and we already know how that works. The rest of its network communication is to its own servers.

Reactions: Thassalar

Thassalar

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
The SSL tunnel should work for GoldenEye, but is largely unnecessary for that game. It only uses SSL for talking to the authentication server and we already know how that works. The rest of its network communication is to its own servers.
Thanks for the info.
I suspected that it first uses Nintendo servers and then some other servers. Back when hurricane Sandy hit the US, the datacenter they're in has been hit too.
And I do see that on the nintendo side of things there has been some great success already. Especially what leseratte and Nagato achieve over in the NDS part of the forum.

LongLiveTheKing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Congrats on the progress :) I have a question say if you guys get things running for a game like brawl? would private servers improve it's netplay experience or any other game?

HAARP-GE 007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
All dumps I get sent are uploaded to save-nintendo-wifi.com, unless there are issues with them. Or do you mean Wiimm's?
was the last batch of captures i uploaded ok ? .the ones with the video links to the corresponding game-play sessions ?... and do we need more goldeneye captures of the same ...i guess time is now running short for existing game captures so i will do as much more as required

TUWieZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, the games are not susceptible to rogue CAs. The public SSL certs for the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection are hard encoded into each ROM, and will only accept connections from servers using the private SSL cert. It's not like we didn't see this coming. The private SSL cert is set to expire in 2015 anyways. If Nintendo didn't shut down the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection now, then it would have just died on its own.

The only way to get around the SSL would be to replace the public cert that the ROMs use. Doing so would require a ROM patch, and the game would need to be run from a flash cart in order to make this possible. Yes, emulators such as Desmume do allow for some online play functionality, but this support is still in its infancy and many people have difficulties getting it to work.

If I'm not mistaken, games like SSBB have been tinkered with to the point of there being SD card loader codes that use SD directories to replace in-game files in the CD's ISO image file. From texture/model/music files, and even in-game physics and menus. In theory, couldn't the public cert be found within the ISO images files and modified to connect to a different server? As stated, via an external HBC loader such as Riivolution or Gecko

Toad King

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We've already worked around the SSL cert issue by outright disabling SSL through patching. Also games that use Nintendo servers use the default Nintendo CA, which is hardcoded in IOS, not the game.

Lakster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We've already worked around the SSL cert issue by outright disabling SSL through patching. Also games that use Nintendo servers use the default Nintendo CA, which is hardcoded in IOS, not the game.
Oh, I was wondering where that was located. I assume you guys have already though about this, but it wouldn't be possible to just modify the IOS(s) with a different CA? Also, is there only one IOS that its in or multiple?

Toad King

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I was wondering where that was located. I assume you guys have already though about this, but it wouldn't be possible to just modify the IOS(s) with a different CA? Also, is there only one IOS that its in or multiple?
You could but just patching out SSL altogether was easier to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, iirc she said she is non binary