Homebrew Save Miiverse... or another alternative

Would you like to see Miiverse continue?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dj-Pickle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0338.JPG
I'm one of those people that actually really likes Miiverse, I quite like the moderation there too, harsh as it may be at times.
As such I'm gutted that Miiverse has been deemed unworthy to continue, so much so I started a petition at change.org/p/Nintendo-Save-Miiverse
Somebody there suggested the homebrew community as somewhere that people may be interested in reverse engineering the platform.

Is this possible? Is someone able to explain more?
I'm pretty ignorant about such things but would love to see Miiverse continue

Dj-Pickle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reverse Engineering the platform. Well we aren't able to reverse engineer the Miiverse servers, but we could analyze the protocol and write a new server software and patch the server-adress the WiiUs think it's the offical MiiVerse server. Writing the server software if someone cared enough to take a deeper look into how the protocol works which is used between the WiiUs and the MiiVerse is something every average programmer can do, if you want it properly done it needs abit more knowledge then the average hobby programmer has but nothing to fancy. I don't see much hope for a backup of the offical MiiVerse, we most likely have to start again with a empty MiiVerse (maybe expect of some contributions from people that asked Nintendo to give them a backup of there MiiVerse content, which is a service offered by Nintendo btw)

Thanks so much for the information, it seems the hardest bit in reality would be the moderation, one can only hope the petition carries some water.

Thanks for putting it in layman terms too, I need the instruction book for everything

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
I wrote up a guide to get around the Wii U's SSL stuff over on Reddit a little while ago; it's not that hard. I've saved a few packet dumps of various things and IMHO that's something everyone should be doing. Take a look:
https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiUHacks/..._setting_up_mitm_to_log_and_preserve_services

The API is actually quite simple; all XML files and base64 data. The weirdest part is authentication; which hopefully we can leave alone assuming Nintendo doesn't kill it.

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Has anyone actually talked to @shutterbug2000? Seen lots of second-hand info but it's weird that the guy himself has been absolutely silent on the matter.
Shutterbug, if you see this tag: you really should go public with what you're doing (if you're doing anything at all.) There are lots of people who can, and will, help - I know that myself and @iAqua have full SSL setups, and we've both written guides to help people replicate them. I've already started taking packet dumps of many API-related things and reading transactions like WaraWara Plaza's big XML file. I keep getting DMed by people with questions about weird and wonderful config files deep in the SLC - people definitely have the knowledge and interest to do this sort of work, and by working together we can greatly increase our combined efficiency. Once this starts happening, I'd expect more people to come out of the woodwork (after all, you don't need any Wii U or 3DS dev knowledge to HTTP transactions.) You can also de-hype the whole situation if need be - goodness knows I've worked on many flopped projects but by being upfront and public about it while I work the community has been unusually accepting. This also applies if you aren't working on this at all (again, I've seen nothing definitive) since you need to set the record straight early to avoid... y'know.
My point is that you should go public with where you're at and what you're doing, since it'll help immensely with everyone's progress.

Chakratos

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Shutterverse *is* a thing, but I've stopped developing the replacement itself(for now) so that I can focus more on dumps etc. If anyone has discord and is involved in Miiverse documentation/anything else Miiverse related, drop by here:

https://discord.gg/SxNqKU

@QuarkTheAwesome

Discord invite is invalid, if you could pass me a working one i would be glad to contribute :)
(Would be a cool project as i am a web Developer myself^^)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...