Satoshi Kon, Anime Filmmaker, Dies at 46

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satoshi Kon, a Japanese filmmaker and comic-book artist whose dazzling visual compositions and humane, emotionally resonant stories won him a devoted following in animation circles and beyond, died in Tokyo on Tuesday. He was 46.

The cause was pancreatic cancer, according to the Tokyo Shimbun news service and statements issued by Mr. Kon’s wife, Kyoko, and by Madhouse Studios, where Mr. Kon directed films.

While Mr. Kon’s film work incorporated many familiar anime elements — pixielike female characters, sensitive robots, futuristic cityscapes and an anxious fascination with the creative and destructive power of technology — it was also informed by literary, artistic and cinematic traditions far beyond contemporary Japanese popular culture.

Mr. Kon’s second feature, “Millennium Actress,” paid homage to masters of Japanese live-action film like Yasujiro Ozu and Akira Kurosawa, blending naturalism and fantasy to tell the story of a fictitious movie star in the years before and after the Second World War. His next film, “Tokyo Godfathers,” was loosely based on a 1948 John Ford western, Three Godfathers, and took viewers on a vivid tour of modern Tokyo’s back alleys and poor neighborhoods.

“He was part of a line of great Japanese humanist directors and writers,” said Susan J. Napier, a professor of Japanese studies at Tufts University and the author of several books on anime. In a telephone interview Wednesday, she linked Mr. Kon with Kurosawa, the great animator Hayao Miyazaki (“Spirited Away,” “Princess Mononoke”) and the Nobel Prize-winning novelist Kenzaburo Oe.

Mr. Kon, she said, combined their characteristic social and ethical concerns — including sympathy for outsiders and a belief in the redemptive power of love — with a mischievous and wildly inventive visual style.

“He loved to play with the audience, to fool the audience,” Ms. Napier said. “He would show one thing and then he’ll make you realize that you aren’t seeing what you think you’re seeing. He loved to play with dreams, to play with the borders between the real and the fantastic.”

This sensibility is apparent in the opening sequence of “Paprika,” the last feature he completed. In a deceptively realistic scene of Tokyo traffic, billboards and video screens spring to life, and an enigmatic female figure — whose identity will turn out to be the key to the film’s many existential puzzles — flows from one dimension of reality to another.

Satoshi Kon was born in Hokkaido, Japan, on Oct. 12, 1963. Intending to study painting, he enrolled at the Musashino Art University, but, as he told the Web site Anime News Network (animenewsnetwork.com) in 2008, his interests soon shifted to illustration, and he began to draw the Japanese comics known as manga for Young magazine. There he met Katsuhiro Otomo, creator of the groundbreaking manga Akira, the 1988 film version of which remains a touchstone in the modern history of anime.

Mr. Kon worked as an animator on Hiroyuki Kitakubo’s 1991 feature, “Rojin Z” (written by Mr. Otomo), and contributed a script to Mr. Otomo’s 1995 science-fiction anthology film, “Memories.” In 1998 he directed his first feature, “Perfect Blue.”

“Millennium Actress,” “Tokyo Godfathers” and “Paprika” followed, in addition to “Paranoia Agent,” a series Mr. Kon made for Japanese television.

At his death he was finishing “The Dream Machine,” which he described in the 2008 interview as “a road movie for robots.”

“On the surface,” he said, “it’s going to be a fantasy-adventure targeted at younger audiences. However, it will also be a film that people who have seen our films up to this point will be able to enjoy.”[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

He will be greatly missed. I really enjoyed his work in Paranoia Agent, one of my favorite anime series of all time.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
His death makes me want to watch his anime
frown.gif
I saw the opening for Paranoia Agent, strangely, I liked it
smile.gif
Being able to laugh on Tokyo tower as a nuclear bomb blows up, now that's just awesome..

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
No offense but how is that anime good in anyway? I don't get it! Anyways, RIP Satoshi may you make fun of us dying while illustrating it from the great beyond.

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Man, this really sucks
frown.gif
. I really loved Paranoia Agent and was looking forward to his future works. RIP Satoshi Kon.

Canonbeat234 said:
No offense but how is that anime good in anyway? I don't get it!

That's the point. It's one of those things that you would only understand after watching it again the second time or more. Only by understanding the concept and meaning behind the anime, will you really be able to enjoy it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, Meds time!