• Poll closed .

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I will gonna open a new contract with AT&T. But can't decide which Smartphone to choose. Any help between those two? Are the differences too big?

I love the HTC ONE metallic design but Galaxy S4 has so awesome features.
If you have any other suggestion please tell me. I was also tempted with the W8 Phone and the Nokia 920 is just $0.99.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to know about this as well. Only I want to throw Sony Xperia Z into the mix as well.

I haven't been able to handle an HTC One so far but I love the look of it. Unfortunately as an owner of a HTC Sensation phone, I've become wary of HTC dropping support and then focusing onto the "next big thing" while completely ignoring old phones and not updating them with the latest Android update. Flashing with custom rom would've been the answer but I'm not sure if HTC is still making this difficult to this day.

Galaxy S4 has two things I want. Removable battery and the ability to use micro SD cards but no matter how many times I handle one at the demo, it still feels like the S3 which has that plasticky feel. Fortunately, a lot of people I know own an S3 and from what I heard, it's an excellent reliable phone. Just not too sure about Touchwiz.

Xperia Z interests me for more than the, "I CAN POUR WATER ON IT" feature but the only downside that people say is viewing angle on the screen but from the demo units, I thought it was good enough. Micro SD cards are supported but lack of removable battery makes me sad.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
^Like Harsky, I own a HTC as well. Sensation XL. But sadly I won't be getting the official release of Jellybean. Kinda sad. Didn't expect them to stop with the updates. Phone's probably pretty good but if you are looking to stay updated with Android's latest stuff, HTC may not be the best choice.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only problems I can see with the S4 is it's a bit plasticky (like all the Samsung phones), and perhaps more importantly - every bugger's got one! (Galaxy that is) I've been walking down the high street, heard the usual soddin Samsung text alert sound, and about a dozen people check their phones! :lol:

Got an S2 myself still, but upgrade later this month, and for the second reason alone I'm probably gonna plump for the HTC One instead....

Heard the camera's better on the S4 than on the One though, and on paper even the LTE version of the S4 that most countries are getting is still a bit more powerful (only a bit though really). Both are clearly beltin phones though! Xperia Z.. much better offering by Sony, but not quite up there with these two apparently....

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I was also thinking on the Xperia Z. But looks like none is liking it or at least talking about it. Also those Samsung "Mega-Phones" o.0

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I rather iPhone for one reason: Facetime because of skype and oovoo on all other smartphones arent great video qualities. The same for Windows version. Facetime itself have an awesome higher quality video to chat, great for sign language hands movement without blurs and clear picture.

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm personally holding out until the new Snapdragon 800 or Tegra 4i phones come in withing the next few months.

Even if Samsung's Exynos 5 is superior to Qualcomm's Snapdragon 600, both are at part in Android's life where the hardware is more advanced than the software available. So you'll get a pretty similar Android experience on each device. The only real differences are the screen sizes, sound, and battery life. If you get HTC One's 64GB version, then theres no need to wine over a SD slot. However removable battery is a huge plus for Samsung.

If you're not interested in the power of these CPUs for the sake of experimental emulation like PSP and NDS emulators, then I actually suggest that you scale back a year and save a few hundred dollars by getting a year old used smart phone. I bought a used phone that was considered "cutting edge" 2 years ago, rooted it, put some performance enhancing crap on it, and honestly I can hardly tell the difference between it and my Nexus 7. Obviously my Nex7 is nearly twice as powerful and can run 3 or 4 games my HTC can't, but considering what it's STILL capable, and the only $100 price tag I spent, I felt it was a good buy. The one thing my old crap phone does better than my nex7 however is loading the play store. Though maybe its because of the reduced sizes and resolutions.

Keep in mind that I did buy my cell phone intended to be a portable media player device. I don't use a service, but I can make calls on free wifi networks I find. Considering just how little i actually use phones for phoning, its just what I need. Go to work with a fully charged phone, streaming music to my bluetooth sets for a few hours, and I'll still have 85-90% battery left when I get home.

Maverick Lunar X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the HTC One, Previously had the Sensation 4G, and prior to that the G1 (first android phone in the states), so I'm a bit biased towards HTC. I love it, definitely enjoy it more than the hands on I had with the S4. Better feel, and Blinkfeed is great. The nonremovable battery does irk me, however the storage isn't a problem; I have the 32GB version, they make a 64 GB, and for those that think the S4 has a grand amount of storage, be forewarned: all of my friends who have purchased them have noted that the onboard memory is only 8 GB and the size differences come from the SD card size, and the stock rom does not allow apps to be installed to the SD card. So no matter how big of a card you put in, you're still stuck with only around 6 GBs for apps.

OP, what is most important to you in a phone? That will definitely answer this better than anyones opinion. :P

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm personally holding out until the new Snapdragon 800 or Tegra 4i phones come in withing the next few months.

Even if Samsung's Exynos 5 is superior to Qualcomm's Snapdragon 600, both are at part in Android's life where the hardware is more advanced than the software available. So you'll get a pretty similar Android experience on each device. The only real differences are the screen sizes, sound, and battery life. If you get HTC One's 64GB version, then theres no need to wine over a SD slot. However removable battery is a huge plus for Samsung.

If you're not interested in the power of these CPUs for the sake of experimental emulation like PSP and NDS emulators, then I actually suggest that you scale back a year and save a few hundred dollars by getting a year old used smart phone. I bought a used phone that was considered "cutting edge" 2 years ago, rooted it, put some performance enhancing crap on it, and honestly I can hardly tell the difference between it and my Nexus 7. Obviously my Nex7 is nearly twice as powerful and can run 3 or 4 games my HTC can't, but considering what it's STILL capable, and the only $100 price tag I spent, I felt it was a good buy. The one thing my old crap phone does better than my nex7 however is loading the play store. Though maybe its because of the reduced sizes and resolutions.

Keep in mind that I did buy my cell phone intended to be a portable media player device. I don't use a service, but I can make calls on free wifi networks I find. Considering just how little i actually use phones for phoning, its just what I need. Go to work with a fully charged phone, streaming music to my bluetooth sets for a few hours, and I'll still have 85-90% battery left when I get home.

Cortex-A15 (Tegra 4/Exynos 5) > Krait second generation (Snapdragon 600/800) > Krait first generation (Snapdragon S4) > Cortex-A9 (Tegra 4i/Tegra 3) in per MHz per core performance.

I'd get the HTC One as well.

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cortex-A15 (Tegra 4/Exynos 5) > Krait second generation (Snapdragon 600/800) > Krait first generation (Snapdragon S4) > Cortex-A9 (Tegra 4i/Tegra 3) in per MHz per core performance.

I'd get the HTC One as well.
I'm specifically not getting an HTC One because of a lack of battery. I'm specifically not getting the S4 because of it's flimsy build.

I I already got bored of Exynos when I heard that it can only use half of it's eight cores at any one time.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
I've become wary of HTC dropping support and then focusing onto the "next big thing" while completely ignoring old phones and not updating them with the latest Android update.

it won't matter. the OP is joining up with AT&T, and they to not support updates. my infuse has never seen an android update from AT&T and i was told from multiple people at AT&T that installing the official samsung update over kies will void the warranty.

with that said, when my phone hangs the only way to reset it is to remove the battery. so for me, a non-removable battery means i won't even consider it. sadly, this is how biased the samsung infuse and its crappy kernel have made me.

my big question is the GPS. samsung has a mixed track record with GPS navigation. it seems they have some phones with really bad GPS chips (the infuse being one) and others that are excellent (S2).

-another world

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
it won't matter. the OP is joining up with AT&T, and they to not support updates. my infuse has never seen an android update from AT&T and i was told from multiple people at AT&T that installing the official samsung update over kies will void the warranty.

with that said, when my phone hangs the only way to reset it is to remove the battery. so for me, a non-removable battery means i won't even consider it. sadly, this is how biased the samsung infuse and its crappy kernel have made me.

my big question is the GPS. samsung has a mixed track record with GPS navigation. it seems they have some phones with really bad GPS chips (the infuse being one) and others that are excellent (S2).

-another world

I went with Sprint with their Truly Unlimited Plan. AT&T is too expensive. I got discount for being a college student also cuz my job.
I know Sprint is not LTE(yet) but is really fast.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if it counts for anything, but I attended Google I/O last week (the Google developer conference) and I noticed that more developers had the HTC One than anything else. And these are the people that work with the devices for a living.

So again, not sure what that means, but interesting nonetheless.

P.S. - Front facing speakers!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock