Safe(r) way to use package installer in IDU mode

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Tutorials' started by TheKawaiiDesu, Aug 19, 2016.

1. TheKawaiiDesu
    OP

Member TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Bermuda
    So, after testing a lot of stuff yesterday, I think it is possible to make the procedure to use the package installer nearly fool-proof. *READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY, AS NOT DOING SO CAN RESULT IN YOUR CONSOLE BEING UPDATED AND/OR SOFTBRICKED, REQUIRING A SYSTEM FORMAT!*
    You might also want to make a backup of all your saves (and other data) using CMA, to be extra sure.

What you'll need is:
    - A computer with sqlitebrowser and an FTP client (like Filezilla) installed
    - A PS Vita with molecularShell installed
    - vita-idu
    - HENkaku offline installer
    - Any Vita Homebrew you'll never use (FTPVita is perfect for that)
    - Your Vita's charger

Now that you've downloaded everything, let's start!

1) Install vita-idu, HENkaku offline installer and [theHomebrewYoullNeverUse] using molecularShell.

2) Using molecularShell and your FTP client, copy the "app.db" file (located in ur0:/shell/db/app.db) on your computer. *make a backup of the original file, in case anything happens*

3) Open the "app.db" file with sqlitebrowser. Click on the "Browse Data" tab, then select the "tbl_appinfo_icon" table.
    Now search, in the "title" column, the entry for [theHomebrewYoullNeverUse]. In this entry, change the title to "★Package Installer", the titleId to "NPXS10031" and the iconPath to "vs0:app/NPXS10031/sce_sys/icon0.png". Once it's done, click on "Write Changes".

4) Using your FTP client, overwrite the app.db on your PS Vita with the one you just edited.

5) Reboot your Vita. You should see the Package Installer icon instead of the [homebrewYoullNeverUse] icon.

6) Launch HENkaku offline installer, and install the exploit. Reboot your console, disable the Internet connexion and test it (open the mail app, and click on HENkaku Offline>Inbox>HENkaku). It might take several tries to get it working, just make sure it does.

7) Open the Quick Menu (hold PS button) and enable flight mode. *Check that Wi-Fi is correctly disabled before doing anything else!*

8) Open idu-mode. Press X *if you're sure internet connexion is disabled*.

9) Restart your Vita. If everything worked correctly, "DEMO MODE" should be written in the bottom right corner.

10) Shut down your Vita. Plug it into your charger: it should start up automatically. You can unplug it after it started up if you wish.

11) Once you're in the home screen, press L+R+UP+Start until the "DEMO MODE" text disappear. All your system apps should reappear.

12) Launch the package installer, and install your .pkg files.

13) Open the mail app and launch HENkaku offline. Like before, it may take a lot of tries to get it to work.

14) Open idu-mode, press O, and reboot your Vita: your Vita is now back into retail mode, with all the packages you installed! You can now enable the wifi connexion, as your console will no longer try to update at boot.

Credits: HackInformer for the "add PKG installer to your home screen" tutorial
    Team Molecule for molecularShell and HENkaku
    The developers that created the homebrews used in this tutorial

Last edited by TheKawaiiDesu, Aug 19, 2016
    Rizzorules and Voxel like this.
  2. UrjitRajpaul

Newcomer UrjitRajpaul Member

Cool tutorial. Excuse me for being a noob. But what kind of pkg can we install. Ie games psp or vita?

3. Rizzorules

Member Rizzorules "What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."

Netherlands
    only ps vita demos

4. TheKawaiiDesu
    OP

Bermuda
    You can install PS Vita demos and some apps (like Netflix or Facebook). The full list (and download links) is available here : http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38342 :)

5. UrjitRajpaul

Newcomer UrjitRajpaul Member

Cool thanks. What abt if I use the old package installer on 3.2 pstv. Then use qcma to transfer to pc and then transfer installed game to vita on 3.6? Will that work

Rizzorules likes this.
  6. Rizzorules

Member Rizzorules "What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."

Netherlands
    You can install them directly on any 3.6 ps vita

7. laharl22

Member laharl22 GBAtemp Maniac

France
    How to use package installer ? I cant click on content manager?

8. TheKawaiiDesu
    OP

Bermuda
    No, you can't use Content Manager to install packages. You need to use Package Manager in IDU mode (since it's blocked in retail mode).
    To use it, you need QCMA on your PC. Put the .pkg files in the "Package" folder you configured with QCMA, then refresh the QCMA database, connect your Vita to your computer, launch Package installer, click "Package" and select the one you wish to install!

9. laharl22

France
    But i have an error to connect by USB its possible by wifi?

10. TheKawaiiDesu
    OP

Bermuda
    DON'T enable wi-fi while you're in IDU mode. If you turn off your console and forgot to disable the Internet connexion, it will update the next time you start it.
    What error do you get when you connect it with USB?

11. laharl22

France
    I use vitaupdateblocker on wifi so on airplan mode i have not an error code but it say the PC cant connect to the vita edit: i have changed some setting on qcma and it work

Last edited by laharl22, Aug 20, 2016
    TheKawaiiDesu likes this.
  12. Ikilledzeus

Newcomer Ikilledzeus Member

United States
    I was installing a .pkg and the vita shut off on it's own, I'm trying again but if there is a way to prevent the power down it would be helpful

Edit: second attempt is no good either

Last edited by Ikilledzeus, Aug 20, 2016
  13. TheKawaiiDesu
    OP

Bermuda
    Shutting down the Vita and plugging it into your charger (it should turn on automatically) disables the "vita-turns-off-5-minutes-after-you-disabled-idu-mode" :)

Ikilledzeus likes this.
  14. Ikilledzeus

United States
    Maybe I should re download the.pkg file, that may be the issue. I'll report back after that

Edit: seeing as my vita has been on this whole time and the new dl size is different from the file I had tried earlier, I'm pretty sure it was a corrupted file. 2 mins left on dl

15. Ikilledzeus

United States
    Ok it installed but when I try to start it says I need to re download it from the ps store

Edit: I fixed it, it worlds beautifully! Thank you!

16. OperationNT

Newcomer OperationNT Advanced Member

France
    Some people manage to install the DEX Package Installer on 3.60 CEX:
    http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=46699

I think this is safer than IDU mode to avoid any 3.61 unwanted update. But it must be done with caution: don't go inside "os0:" or the Vita could be bricked!

EDIT: Just install DEX Package Installer on my CEX unit, it works great!

Last edited by OperationNT, Aug 22, 2016
    driverdis likes this.
  17. driverdis

Member driverdis I am Justice

United States
    This is what I did, It is a better solution to using IDU mode.