Russia may legalize some forms of piracy to combat sanctions

Flag_of_Ukraine.jpg

In the aftermath of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, many companies in the West have stopped doing business with the country, including plenty of technology and software companies. Tech giants Apple, Microsoft, Sony and Adobe have pulled products and services from Russia, along with plenty of gaming companies, like Nintendo, Activision Blizzard, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Take-Two Interactive and Epic Games, just to name a few.

However, as reported by TorrentFreak, Russia may change its laws to waive all punishments for software piracy, as long as the software originates from a company that is supporting the sanctions on Russia, and no Russian equivalent exists. In a document titled "Priority Action Plan for Ensuring the Development of the Russian Economy in the Conditions of External Sanctions Pressure," the Ministry of Economic Development proposes a number of measures to lessen the impact of these sanctions. One idea under consideration, point 6.7.3, reads “Cancellation of liability for the use of software (SW) unlicensed in the Russian Federation, owned by a copyright holder from countries that have supported the sanctions.”

A similar item, 6.7.1, regards intellectual property rights, removing punishments for violating intellectual property when it comes to "rights to an invention, utility model, industrial design in relation to computer programs, databases, topologies of integrated circuits." CityAM, a business and financial newspaper based out of London, has reported that this measure has been approved, citing state-sanctioned newspaper Rossiyskaya Gazeta as its source. While this doesn't apply to software (the measure simply allows "Russian firms [...] to use innovations from unfriendly countries without paying to use the IP," as CityAM explains), if this measure has been passed, it's possibly 6.7.3 has been or will be soon. Of course, being a state-owned newspaper, any reports from Rossiyskaya Gazeta should be taken with a grain of salt. Similarly, according to gazeta.ru, Russian politician Dmitry Ionin has proposed unblocking certain torrent trackers in the country in response to Hollywood films not being released in the country. While it still appears to be blocked, and the report may be fraudulent, it would be an unprecedented move for the Russian government to make.

itch.io's Bundle for Ukraine is still available for the next six days. It contains nearly a thousand games and assets for just $10, and has raised over $4 million so far, with all proceeds going to charities to support Ukraine. It contains some popular games like SkateBIRD, SUPERHOT, Celeste and Towerfall: Ascension.

:arrow: Source

lordofcombo

Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
I find those that back either of the 2 states ukraine or russia are horribly dis honest. Ukraine we have Mini Xi Jing Ping known to have executed those that tried to oppose his tyrannical reign in the FARCE that could be called a democracy by Arresting then executing his opponents then winning by default, enforcing communistic laws such as the state taking over all private business as state assets...Then we have Russia we already know that communist crap they pull.

Then we get you who prop one over the other. They are both communist dictator hell holes if they fight let them. Sanctioning Either of them is just Going to bite us in the ass did we not learn shit from history on WHY germany became the way it became for ww2?
I don't know you but I'm sure you're a Russian puppet,not only you're repeating Putin's propaganda but also legitimizing Ukraine's invasion.
I hope you choke on a fat one.

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have the feeling that the russian police wasn't actively swatting households where kids pirated movies until now. Sounds like (yet another) propaganda.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have the feeling that the russian police wasn't actively swatting households where kids pirated movies until now. Sounds like (yet another) propaganda.
No but they swatted some high ranked russian people located in other countries who spoke against putin.
Well, if swatted means "silencely killing the whole family and making it look like family tragedy" multiple times...

Snintendog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know you but I'm sure you're a Russian puppet,not only you're repeating Putin's propaganda but also legitimizing Ukraine's invasion.
I hope you choke on a fat one.
I say both can die but sure Russian puppet. Let me guess you live in the big city a NEET scamming the goverment out of money by lying about disabilities.

• Angry
Reactions: ChibiMofo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste