[Rumor] Sony set to reveal PS4 VR Headset at GDC 2014

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*snip* Arm/hand movement, on the other hand, like holding a machete or other similar item doesn't seem all that strange to me. If Skyward Sword was any indication, it's probably far MORE natural than button mashing (or primitive wiimote waggling) and natural is what I'd be going for.
Definitely; I really think it's hard to push buttons when I'm used to waggling the wiimote, even though it might be really frustrating.
*snip* Also, speaking of controls, one interesting aspect is also that no auto aim mechanisms would work as well as built-in martial arts abilities and things like that. 1) If it's based on your real movements, it's also a bit more based on your real skills and coordination, which could be a downside.

While first person would be the most obvious choice, I think it could also be done with 3rd person games (using a more traditional controller) but the developers would have to be a little more careful with camera angles, maybe have the camera still rotate/float around the game character but always facing the same direction and leave the actual ANGLE of the camera to the the person's head (at least vertically) to avoid having a motion sick gamer puking in his helmet, so to speak.

It would definitely have to be done right and it's probably not an easy fit for many pre-existing games right out of the box but if it's done right I still think it could be a great enhancement to the game experience that would be well worth the price as an optional addon.

1) Here's where being a deranged lunatic, a general kick-ass gamer, or Foxi4 comes in handy. You can prove just how good of a gamer you are. (And maybe Nintendo could make a Mario game that uses this helmet...)

I like the idea of a gamer puking; but I suppose the developers should try to avoid that in their game productions. I don't think I could've phrased your last thought any better; playing a Zelda/Metroid game with this thing does sound awesome. Wii Music - not going there; not worth the goofy dinosaur

Reactions: Maxternal

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is it will be overpriced, and quite possibly underwhelming. The consoles of this generation are supposedly not powerful enough to output at a resolution and framerate that is ideal for virtual reality, so even if the device is decent, pairing it with the PS4 may not be all that great.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
VR gaming doesn't interest me, I feel it's more of a fad than something that has a chance of catching on. It doesn't help that the consoles aren't powerful enough to have VR gaming at 1080p/30 FPS much less 1080/60.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Just sit extremely close to your big TV , get the gaming imax experience where ya gotta look left n right to see stuff.

The obvious porm sims aint been mentioned yet have they :)

The possibilities are endless the reality isnt . Ill probably been keen to visit Currys to try one when they eventually come out , and it will end there .Just Meh.
Foxi said it best .. Slump on your couch , grab a pad and game. Thats how simple it is.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
VR gaming doesn't interest me, I feel it's more of a fad than something that has a chance of catching on. It doesn't help that the consoles aren't powerful enough to have VR gaming at 1080p/30 FPS much less 1080/60.

It's hard for people to be excited for something they haven't experienced (I've yet to use a OR either though but my damn sister has), but the people reporting and using this stuff generally have a way better reception than what the previous "fads" were. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like there have been only a very few amount of movies where the 3D was actually great. So I really wished display manufacturers focused on higher res displays or something like the OR rather than these boring, overpriced 3D flat panel displays.

I'm excited about the OR, but I don't see Sony's offering (if it exists) being all that great due to the limitations already pointed out by the OR creator/team. Plus, it probably won't be priced reasonably.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I treat "virtual reality" experiences as separate entities altogether, something that's to be enjoyed on occasion. I don't think gogles or headsets like this will catch on, much like 3D TV's haven't, simply because it's another peripheral that complicates something that's great due to its simplicity.

I agree, but disagree at the same time.

If the VR Technology is good enough, it will catch on.

And I'm not talking about Oculus Rift kind of "technology". I mean, oculus is cool and a fun experience, yes it is, but starting with its lack of compatible games, (even the compatible ones are primordial as hell at best), all the way to its low resolution, it isn't much of an experience to keep coming you back for more.

The real problem is, to develop and build a highly advanced VR kit, would take much much dollars. MUCH dollars. Neither Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft are up to that. There's just not enough profit in it yet.

Not to mention the final price for the consumer. We're talking about something in the 1000$ ~ 3000$ range.

However, I believe that if the technology is good enough to make you reach that "Wow" factor, it will catch on. At first only to the deep pocket people, but as development and production kick into high gear, prices will drop to acceptable gaming standards.

In short, Oculus Rift is fun.

Fun in the way that you play 3 times with it, and you forget about it for 3 months, letting it sit on the shelf.

A VR Kit that "catches on" has to be something that will make you say: "My Full HD 60 TV set is a joke compared to this."

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to mention, no I do not think this will be that kind of VR Kit. I'm betting on a Oculus RIft HD with the Sony logo on it.

But hey, I really, REALLY freaking hope I'm wrong. I'd buy a PS4 in a flash..

Reactions: gamefan5

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Like I said last time this was brought up: seeing how Sony's current video headset is $ 999.99 (£999 in the UK), I dread to imagine how much the one with motion tracking and in full HD would cost.

I don't think gogles or headsets like this will catch on, much like 3D TV's haven't, simply because it's another peripheral that complicates something that's great due to its simplicity.
Inorite ;O;

lCv2BoZ.jpg

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think VR is a great addition to the gaming market. Of course it will be hard for it to be mainstream but as an option to extend the Gaming experience it is definitely be awesome.

Who needs to do stuff in Virtual Reality when you can just do stuff in real reality?
Logic'd.

Because Virtual Reality allows you to do stuff you couldn't in the real reality?
Any elders scrolls game with VR for example. I bet you are not running around the city with sword & shield & armor fus roh daing everyone.'
Or Horror Games. You don't see any necromorphs/zombies around here~

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I think VR is a great addition to the gaming market. Of course it will be hard for it to be mainstream but as an option to extend the Gaming experience it is definitely be awesome.

Because Virtual Reality allows you to do stuff you couldn't in the real reality?
Any elders scrolls game with VR for example. I bet you are not running around the city with sword & shield & armor fus roh daing everyone.'
Or Horror Games. You don't see any necromorphs/zombies around here~

Maybe you should be doing more drugs and less games.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My only thing about this is, It's something that will have to be developed for right? In the same respects that Xbox Forces some kind of Kinect function, and Nintendo forces Some kind of Gamepad aspect, would it then be considered that most games have to be built around Sony's VR headset?
Or is there an aspect to VR I'm not understanding?

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can see Driveclub with a VR headset, VR will be really useful in racing games, since it will probably let consumers have something similar to having a 3 monitor setup for racing games but without the high cost of the monitors. (And the fact that you need three consoles to set up three monitors for a racing console game.)

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, but disagree at the same time.

If the VR Technology is good enough, it will catch on.

And I'm not talking about Oculus Rift kind of "technology". I mean, oculus is cool and a fun experience, yes it is, but starting with its lack of compatible games, (even the compatible ones are primordial as hell at best), all the way to its low resolution, it isn't much of an experience to keep coming you back for more.

The real problem is, to develop and build a highly advanced VR kit, would take much much dollars. MUCH dollars. Neither Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft are up to that. There's just not enough profit in it yet.

Not to mention the final price for the consumer. We're talking about something in the 1000$ ~ 3000$ range.

However, I believe that if the technology is good enough to make you reach that "Wow" factor, it will catch on. At first only to the deep pocket people, but as development and production kick into high gear, prices will drop to acceptable gaming standards.

In short, Oculus Rift is fun.

Fun in the way that you play 3 times with it, and you forget about it for 3 months, letting it sit on the shelf.

A VR Kit that "catches on" has to be something that will make you say: "My Full HD 60 TV set is a joke compared to this."

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to mention, no I do not think this will be that kind of VR Kit. I'm betting on a Oculus RIft HD with the Sony logo on it.

But hey, I really, REALLY freaking hope I'm wrong. I'd buy a PS4 in a flash..
Of course there isn't a huge list of games that support the Oculus Rift yet; it hasn't even hit the consumer market at this point. The Dev-kits were released, what, a year ago? Developers need with the hardware to work on the software. There are a lot of developers on board, though, so the games will come. As for the resolution, the only thing that is out at this point is, again, a dev-kit, which is meant for development purposes. They have higher resolution prototypes they are working with, and the consumer product will definitely be at a higher resolution. The price range for the Oculus will not be in the $1000-3000 range (though the Sony one likely will be), but probably closer to $400.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • light27 @ light27:
    my bad
  • light27 @ light27:
    happy birthday
  • light27 @ light27:
    OIP.19q3E5NK_Mdn0K35CZWrWQHaJ4
    for you bro
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, it's actually tommorrow but thx
  • light27 @ light27:
    oh it’s the least I could do
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, stop stealing my phrases
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +1
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Neither both want to bone me
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Neither both want to bone me