Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree, but disagree at the same time.

If the VR Technology is good enough, it will catch on.

And I'm not talking about Oculus Rift kind of "technology". I mean, oculus is cool and a fun experience, yes it is, but starting with its lack of compatible games, (even the compatible ones are primordial as hell at best), all the way to its low resolution, it isn't much of an experience to keep coming you back for more.

The real problem is, to develop and build a highly advanced VR kit, would take much much dollars. MUCH dollars. Neither Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft are up to that. There's just not enough profit in it yet.

Not to mention the final price for the consumer. We're talking about something in the 1000$ ~ 3000$ range.

However, I believe that if the technology is good enough to make you reach that "Wow" factor, it will catch on. At first only to the deep pocket people, but as development and production kick into high gear, prices will drop to acceptable gaming standards.

In short, Oculus Rift is fun.

Fun in the way that you play 3 times with it, and you forget about it for 3 months, letting it sit on the shelf.

A VR Kit that "catches on" has to be something that will make you say: "My Full HD 60 TV set is a joke compared to this."

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to mention, no I do not think this will be that kind of VR Kit. I'm betting on a Oculus RIft HD with the Sony logo on it.

But hey, I really, REALLY freaking hope I'm wrong. I'd buy a PS4 in a flash..

Currently, the OR isn't even out yet. There are only prototype dev kits out right now and they're only $300 and I believe they've said the consumer version will not go above that. And with the latest Crystal Cove prototype, they are already fixing the "low resolution" problem. But yes, a problem is supported games and hopefully all new first person games will support it when the OR officially releases. I'm under the impression you think the OR is still only what the first prototype was, because any console offering of VR will always be limited by their specs and the OR already likely has this Sony headset beat (if it exists).

3d on the home screen is dying on its feet in various places at this point ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23195479 ). What exactly will happen I am not sure but you may well get your wish.
Well I've known that this 3D was gonna be a fad ever since I used the 3D on the 3DS (although I do like the effect in some games, it's nothing special). It's also evident that it's a dying fad from all the focus on "Ultra HD" and curved displays at tech shows/conferences. It's such a shame that god awful movie Avatar started this trend. Imagine what we'd have if companies didn't spend the last 5 years on this 3D bs, but perhaps we wouldn't have things like the Oculus Rift.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Of course there isn't a huge list of games that support the Oculus Rift yet; it hasn't even hit the consumer market at this point. The Dev-kits were released, what, a year ago? Developers need with the hardware to work on the software. There are a lot of developers on board, though, so the games will come. As for the resolution, the only thing that is out at this point is, again, a dev-kit, which is meant for development purposes. They have higher resolution prototypes they are working with, and the consumer product will definitely be at a higher resolution. The price range for the Oculus will not be in the $1000-3000 range (though the Sony one likely will be), but probably closer to $400.

Yes I know it is in development, and I know the final consumer version is supposed to be much improved.

But you miss my point. Even with high resolution and fine tuned features, I fear the Oculus Rift is STILL the kind of toy you use 3 times and forget about it for 3 months.

There's....something missing. It just isn't better than using a big ass LCD screen :/

Currently, the OR isn't even out yet. There are only prototype dev kits out right now and they're only $300 and I believe they've said the consumer version will not go above that. And with the latest Crystal Cove prototype, they are already fixing the "low resolution" problem. But yes, a problem is supported games and hopefully all new first person games will support it when the OR officially releases. I'm under the impression you think the OR is still only what the first prototype was, because any console offering of VR will always be limited by their specs and the OR already likely has this Sony headset beat (if it exists).

I am fully aware of that, and make no mistake, I do want to try and see the final product version of the Oculus Rift. Who knows? I might be wrong and it might be the best thing ever. I just don't feel like its going that way, after trying out the prototype.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I know it is in development, and I know the final consumer version is supposed to be much improved.

But you miss my point. Even with high resolution and fine tuned features, I fear the Oculus Rift is STILL the kind of toy you use 3 times and forget about it for 3 months.

There's....something missing. It just isn't better than using a big ass LCD screen :/
There's much more to it than having a screen in front of you. Obviously it's got the stereoscopic 3D, but the head-tracking is huge for immersion, allowing you to actually look around and take in your environments. The ability to naturally look around greatly benefits driving sims and space sims, giving you the view from the driver's seat or cockpit, but instead of being limited to looking forward, you can actually look around like you would in real life.

If you're looking for even more immersion, look what you get when you combine the SoftKinetic with the Oculus Rift.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And by that you confirmed my Argument.
Breaking law in real life is not legal, VR allows you to do it legally.
And what makes you say that they will "legalize" it in the virtual world? There are consequences for breaking the law in video games as well. The difference is that the consequences are nowhere great enough like in the real world. (Basically, the punishment are done in-game, like in GTA' you get a game over, because it's part of the game.) How to put it? I would say that it depends on the core value of the game.

But as VR continues to grow and as the barrier between virtual and reality itself begins to diminish, you can bet that they will implement laws in order to keep the interactions between others in check. In other words, if an activity ends up affecting a user in the real world, they might ban it by law in the virtual world.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And what makes you say that they will "legalize" it in the virtual world? There are consequences for breaking the law in video games as well. The difference is that the consequences are nowhere great enough like in the real world. But as VR continues to grow and as the barrier between virtual and reality itself begins to diminish, you can bet that they will implement laws in order to keep the interactions between others in check.
wat

dogmarch

Potato Warrior - Anti Zombie
Trophies
XP
Country

I think he's trying to say that they will uphold morality and etiquette rules in the virtual world (especially if it's in an mmo) but I think at the stage things are right now, it won't exactly happen until they develop true virtual reality like in SAO or something like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh