[Rumor] Sony developing a Playstation phone?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Sony may be preparing to introduce a PlayStation-branded mobile phone, according to online rumors.

According to a report by tech blog Engadget, Sony Ericsson is developing a device based on Google's Android platform that, according to "a trusted source," will feature a PSP Go-like button interface that includes a D-pad, analog controls, and both shoulder and face buttons.

Most interestingly, the same source claims that the phone will come with PlayStation branding, fueling earlier rumors that the company is set to introduce the next iteration of its PSP device soon.

Source

Well we all know Sony does more than video games so another smartphone from them isn't surprising. What is surprising is that the Playstation brand name would be going outside the video game sector into more general water.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
What is surprising is that the Playstation brand name would be going outside the video game sector into more general water.

Why is that surprising? Their damn motto is "Playstation. It only does EVERYTHING."

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
Guild McCommunist said:
What is surprising is that the Playstation brand name would be going outside the video game sector into more general water.

Why is that surprising? Their damn motto is "Playstation. It only does EVERYTHING."
And then the images start to pile up. *Shudder*

I wonder what kind of phone, though. Will it support UMD? Probably not, but I may just give it a "Go" (get it?) and see if it's nice!

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
I wonder what kind of phone, though. Will it support UMD? Probably not, but I may just give it a "Go" (get it?) and see if it's nice!

My guess is that this is what they would have been testing the Go for. They're going to set up a market for their own games, and since there's no alternative - why not use the downloadable service? Destroys piracy, reduces hardware costs, and allows them to start charging as a cell phone carrier (or at least get in bed with the phone companies for data charges)

Revolution [9]

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...Or they could just take their existing Walkman mp3 with a touchscreen, make it larger, and market it as a phone with the necessary adjustments. Who would want a phone call in the middle of a game? That'd mess up everything.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
somehow I don't think it's such a good idea for them to do that. I get annoyed enough already when someone calls me during a game but if the call showed up on them same device and halted what I was doing.. I don't think I would like that very much.

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
I know, as Nokia, we already had Ngage but it went from DEDICATED to SOFTWARE-based and it's still closing. Im not too sure bout Sony's attempt when they already have DDEDICATED PS HW/SW. It could be a nice attempt but I wouldnt touch a PS phone specially if someone texted or called me while playing

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I hope Sony really isn't dumb enough to try this. Between Blackberry, android and the iPhone, I'm not sure there's room in the market for any more copycats. Just 'cuz someone else is making money with smartphones doesn't mean they will... there're only so many people who buy into this crap.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Guild McCommunist said:
Well we all know Sony does more than video games so another smartphone from them isn't surprising. What is surprising is that the Playstation brand name would be going outside the video game sector into more general water.
They did that already with their Walkman and Cybershot brands. It's not too surprising that once phones got graphics powerful enough they'd do the same with the Playstation Portable brand.

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
If it would run on Android, I think I'd buy it. I love to do everything on my phone. I have an android phone atm, but there aren't really that much games worth downloading. So I just play GBA games on it when I'm traveling.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TM2-Megatron said:
I hope Sony really isn't dumb enough to try this. Between Blackberry, android and the iPhone, I'm not sure there's room in the market for any more copycats. Just 'cuz someone else is making money with smartphones doesn't mean they will... there're only so many people who buy into this crap.
its going to run android 3.0

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
I have heard this rumor along time now thoguh.
dry.gif

D

Deleted User

It will be bullshit anyway. Like the PSP Go *facepalm*.

Was the PSP Go *facepalm* bullshit?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof