Gaming Router Security?

cheez203

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi Guys. I installed network magic pro and i have wep security on my router(not wpa because nintendo devices dont support it) and i try to add a new device to my network using network magic pro but it says you cannot add a new device wirelessly because network magic does not detect security on your router even though i have wep. Is there a work around for this or do i have to install some other type of security program for my router? Thanks in advance!

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you can "install" anything on a router. And as far as the CD's that must have came with it, they're unneeded, they essentially just install software to make dummies mess around with router's basic settings. Ironically, even though I call that software dummy-ware, I don't know how they often work having only spent minutes on some and preferring the router's page.
I can't offer you any solutions, but I can offer you some help or tips to figure out your router yourself.

This is assuming you don't know, but Google your router's model number. Don't bother including the maker/brand name unless you get multiple unrelated results. Most times a model number will be unique to a brand itself. It might also help to Google it with keywords like "Default, Login, Pass, Password, User, Gateway" You want to find out your router's default information so you can get into your router settings. If you used the dummy-ware off the CD, it may have gave you chance to change your password, in which case use that password of unplug/reset your router to make it go back to default.

Same with finding your default passwords on Google, you want to find your default gateway, in which case google your Model number and "gateway" together. But most often times, I find that 192.168.1.1 is the default gateway on most routers. In anywise, you might not need to Google it but view the Properties/details of your network adapter:
xdgjv6.png
How you get to that depends on OS but its commonly found in Control Panel and Network Connections even though there are easier shortcuts and ways to get to it. Anyways take your Gateway, punch it in your URL bar/Browser like you're going to a site like Yahoo or something, and enter your login info if prompted. From there you might be able to learn about your router and maybe setup your WEP system. Otherwise wait on someone to post something that would be more useful to you or ask more questions. The more questions/information you post, the greater the chance at getting help. Personally I have no idea what Network Magic Pro is, what it does, or what make is it even for. Just sounds like a dummy-ware wizard to me or one of those one button touch auto-setup systems.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Njrg said:
I don't think you can "install" anything on a router.
The majority of all routers are capable of running third-party firmware. Furthermore, they're usually extensible themselves supporting either native POSIX code (being based on Linux), or some proprietary "plugin" system.

That being said, I have no idea what Network Magic Pro is, but it seems unnecessary.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
I meant software rather than firmware. I didn't think he would know much about 3rd party firmwares if he's having something as small as a WEP issue.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Njrg said:
I meant software rather than firmware. I didn't think he would know much about 3rd party firmwares if he's having something as small as a WEP issue.
Some first-party firmware display similiar extensibility as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock