Hacking Risks of updating a hacked switch firmware using wifi? (and how to do it?)

Miyuu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello everyone I bought a hacked switch to someone online (it runs on atmosphere). However the firmware is stuck to the version 13.1.2. I would like to upgrade to a higher version to play games such as scarlet/violet or p5r. I looked up tutorials on how to do it and know you have to put the firmware files on the SD card and use Daybreak etc.

HOWEVER my problem is that the SD card I have is write protected and despite trying everything to remove the readonly nothing worked. I don't have another SD card with enough storage to use instead... So I was wondering if I could simply update it through Wifi and if I do, how to proceed (do the update in the classic mode or the atmosphere mode?), and what are the possible risks (I dont mind getting banned from online usage for instance since I wouldn't pay the nso anyway).

I would be very thankful for any answers!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone I bought a hacked switch to someone online (it runs on atmosphere). However the firmware is stuck to the version 13.1.2. I would like to upgrade to a higher version to play games such as scarlet/violet or p5r. I looked up tutorials on how to do it and know you have to put the firmware files on the SD card and use Daybreak etc.

HOWEVER my problem is that the SD card I have is write protected and despite trying everything to remove the readonly nothing worked. I don't have another SD card with enough storage to use instead... So I was wondering if I could simply update it through Wifi and if I do, how to proceed (do the update in the classic mode or the atmosphere mode?), and what are the possible risks (I dont mind getting banned from online usage for instance since I wouldn't pay the nso anyway).

I would be very thankful for any answers!
Your post was answered over here in this thread. Please use that thread for any future inquiries.

Reactions: binkinator

Kanakops

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Honestly, if you want my opinion, it's not worth getting banned even if you don't mind, buy a new micro sd if you really cannot remove the protection.

Edit : I'm not sure if it's your case but when plugging it to your computer, the micro sd card adapter is in "locked" mode ?
1668878812970.png

Last edited by Kanakops,
Reactions: impeeza

Miyuu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Honestly, if you want my opinion, it's not worth getting banned even if you don't mind, buy a new micro sd if you really cannot remove the protection.

Edit : I'm not sure if it's your case but when plugging it to your computer, the micro sd card adapter is in "locked" mode ? View attachment 338742
Thank you for your reply, I suspected it might be this since using diskpart showed me that the readonly was Off but it was currently on Readonly mode... however there's no lock on the sd card anywhere so i was going insane. I might buy a new sd card but they are a bit expensive, is there no way do update on emunand without getting banned? Like a incognito mode or something?

Kanakops

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thank you for your reply, I suspected it might be this since using diskpart showed me that the readonly was Off but it was currently on Readonly mode... however there's no lock on the sd card anywhere so i was going insane. I might buy a new sd card but they are a bit expensive, is there no way do update on emunand without getting banned? Like a incognito mode or something?
Oh if it's your emunand you should absolutely not connect it to internet, you should use daybreak and stay offline but since you cannot write anything on your micro sd your only choice is to go online and get the update. The bans protection you are talking about prevent you to connect normaly to nintendo's server so even if you was using incognito, I doubt that you will be able to get the update by them.

Maybe you can try to connect with usb with hekate, just to see if it's not on read only mode only with the sd card adapter you are using ?

Miyuu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh if it's your emunand you should absolutely not connect it to internet, you should use daybreak and stay offline but since you cannot write anything on your micro sd your only choice is to go online and get the update. The bans protection you are talking about prevent you to connect normaly to nintendo's server so even if you was using incognito, I doubt that you will be able to get the update by them.

Maybe you can try to connect with usb with hekate, just to see if it's not on read only mode only with the sd card adapter you are using ?
Thank you for the clarifications! I'm not home right now so I don't have access to my switch but I will try to see if I can use Hekate before doing anything else, thanks for the advice. You might be right maybe the adapter is the problem...

Reactions: Kanakops

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ