SWEET BABY RAYS
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
koizumi.teknolust.org
XP
Country
Hey guys! I'm a long time lurker of GBATemp, but I've only just actually registered and such. I'm a hobbyist game developer, and I'm currently studying it at College. This is just one of my side projects that I'm working on, and I could really do with some advice from anyone who happens to know about the DS file structure, etc.

Look, I know this sounds absolutely bonkers, but hear me out for a minute. Something really good could come of this.

Right, I'm doing a ROM hack of Rhythm Paradise which is titled "Mashup Paradise!" -- the whole premise is to be pretty much the same game but with the original music mashed up with stupid songs and other silly things. It's just a bit of fun really.

Now, I've had a little nose around in the games .sdat file, and most of the minigame music is in .strm format. I'm PARTIALLY used to this, seeing as it's just like, the DS version of the sound format the Wii uses for all those Brawl music hacks and whatnot, but I seem to be having a little trouble with it.

Okay, now the Lockstep music plays just fine in Tinke. I exported it, stuck it into FL Studio and worked my magic with it. Once I was happy with how the audio file turned out, I rendered it out as a .wav again, and imported it back into the .sdat file, played it in Tinke again, and it sounds fine. Saved the .nds file, stuck it onto my Acekard2i and tested it out. Game booted up fine. Happy times all around right?

Sadly not. I went into Lockstep, loaded it up expecting a crash or something, but it was fine. The audio, however, was slightly pitched up, and playing faster than usual, thus throwing it TOTALLY off-sync with the game. It's gotta be something to do with how the .strm file is MEANT to be encoded, I just don't know what.

Sorry for the REALLY lengthy post, and I'm really really appreciative of any help anyone can throw my way. I really wanna make something fun and silly out of this for everyone to enjoy. Cheers, lads! :)

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
This may not help that much, but it's something. I was trying to do something similar with Tony Hawk, and when I went to check the new files, they had a different size (most likely, uncompressed or something like that) and that kept messing some things of the game, like loops and that stuff.

Btw, I used Tinke too.

sosayaze

SWEET BABY RAYS
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
koizumi.teknolust.org
XP
Country
Yeah, I took note of the file size when reimporting the audio back into the rom, because anything with a size that wasn't the same as it refused to give me playback. Maybe audio hacking (especially with STRM files) just isn't that advanced yet?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: But it does have a hamster...