Homebrew retroarch-wii MSU-1 SNES support

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SNES 9x has standalone MSU-1 port for Wii but doesn't properly output 240p video.

Does retroarch-wii have working MSU-1 SNES core?

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
The main snes9x core. From the look of their git repo, they haven't ported it to any of the older snes9x2xxx cores. File detection is "SD2SNES style" so you need to have a romname.msu file in the same folder for it to detect MSU-1 support, even if it's just a blank file, then all .pcm files are named romename-#.pcm.

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main snes9x core. From the look of their git repo, they haven't ported it to any of the older snes9x2xxx cores. File detection is "SD2SNES style" so you need to have a romname.msu file in the same folder for it to detect MSU-1 support, even if it's just a blank file, then all .pcm files are named romename-#.pcm.

I just tried v1.5.0 for SNES and it couldn't even see my roms. I also tried v1.4.1 and it wanted to open my roms like zip files, then they crashed. Ugh

I've never had much luck with newer versions of retroarch, especially with Neo Geo and CPS2 cores. Everything beyond v1.3.6 seems to break things. I'm not sure but maybe I need to get all new romsets for the latest cores.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Why would they port it to the older cores? Snes9x mainline is the superior Snes9x core, 2010 and 2005 are just for weaker devices as they're really old.

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would they port it to the older cores? Snes9x mainline is the superior Snes9x core, 2010 and 2005 are just for weaker devices as they're really old.

v1.5.0 is latest Libretro Stable build for Wii. I tried v1.4.1 because it was next in line from newest to oldest. Neither worked of course. Should I be using another source?

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
I didn't say they should, I just said they didn't. Some people use the old cores for performance reasons and I wanted to be sure to specify.

v1.5.0 is latest Libretro Stable build for Wii. I tried v1.4.1 because it was next in line from newest to oldest. Neither worked of course. Should I be using another source?
The application version is irrelevant, you need to be running an up-to-date snes9x core. I'm not sure how core updates are done on the Wii port. Is there an updater in the settings menu?

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I grabbed the latest retroarch-wii nightly but here we go again. It detects and loads Neo Geo and CPS (.zip), but none of my Genesis (.md) SNES (.sfc) TurboGrafx (.pce) files are detected. Why on earth would they do that?

( Snes9x 1.53 485ae78 ) Think that's the core but it won't recognize my files.

Last edited by simbin,

simbin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I managed to get the latest build working but not without some issues. SNES core would usually crash after playing MSU-1 enabled games. Set config to allow all extensions, just so I could see my roms. Why they dropped popular file formats like sfc, md, pce is beyond my level of intelligence. They also got rid of per-core settings and I use custom resolutions for nearly every core - HUGE bummer. It also felt more clunky overall.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-