Homebrew RetroArch Switch

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
How to record those short little videos:

You have to have -

the current one of this installed (with tinfoil or devmenu - be aware, that Nintendo will usually ban you for installing nsps, if they see you online):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/homebrew-menu-loader-legal-nsp.518433/

and 3.0.0 (or newer) of this one:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nx-hbmenu-v3-0-0.522073/

and then a current version of Retroarch (or ScummVM - other hombrew apps might work as well, those two definitely do).

Then launch the installed nsp to launch hbmenu, and then launch Retroarch. To record videos you just longpress the screencapture button. (You might have to wait 30 seconds for the switches framebuffer to fill.)

If anyone works out how to get audio in those captures to work (might be a libnx thing), please share.

Videos always are around 20mb in size and 30 sec long.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: focusonme

frep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Just a question, most of my covers work fine with retroarch however and games with a "&" in the name doesn't detect a cover and i have to change it from "&" to "and".

amy ideas

At https://docs.libretro.com/guides/roms-playlists-thumbnails/
you can find informations about the Filenames:

The thumbnail file should exactly match the game's title as listed in the playlist with an important exception. The following characters in playlist titles must be replaced with _ in the corresponding thumbnail filename:
&*/:‘<>?\|

Reactions: minomore

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I searched for it. No one responded to that. There's no need to patch it - those patches are for playing on the physical console, I have the sbi file that allows me to get past the copy protection, but the menu does not even show up because the game doesn't load. I have PCSX rearmed on another emulating device, and the files I have run properly. but not on the switch. (I also converted the iso into a bin and it still doesn't work)

Gonna have to recommend re-ripping the game (if that's how you obtained the game to begin with, not that you'd admit to getting it from...ahem...other sources). Sounds like something may have gone wrong in the ripping process.

Also, unless if you're in the EU/UK, I'd always go for the NTSC versions of these games. I'm not so sure about how it is with games made today now, but back then, these games were made to run at lower than 60fps because of PAL TVs and their specifications. That's my preferences speaking though!

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got quite a few psx games like this. Is there some sort of compatibility list? Will multi bin games load ok?

Load those from the .cue files, especially if said .bins are tied to tracks used in the game (and not just bonus tracks like with SOTN, like, the entire main soundtrack of the game is on the CD and can be put in a CD player and listened to...if you want to keep on )

CrazyRach82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
theres single bin games that won't load either. I don't think the roms are dodgy, as they load on my Mac fine. I don't know what I'm doing wrong on the switch, but theres something amiss, just can't put my finger on it as I don't know enough about it.

Reactions: lolboy

freevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all! I have a problem with the mupen64plus Nintendo 64 core in which it wont load .z64 roms. It black screens then returns to title screen. Should I be looking for extension .n64 or others? If so, which? Thanks!

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Hi all! I have a problem with the mupen64plus Nintendo 64 core in which it wont load .z64 roms. It black screens then returns to title screen. Should I be looking for extension .n64 or others? If so, which? Thanks!

Don't bother. doesnt run close to full speed yet. Maybe in the future (if overclock gets released), or in the far future (in the year 2000 (h**ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmzpdd4pWvM)).

Also needs to be run "with special nsp assistance" to unlock more ram (if you run hbmenu via gallery it only unlocks part of the switches ram for homebrew), but since this will only become relevant in the future - don't bother, do nothing. ;) Stuff related to this might also change.

Last edited by notimp,

lolboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
theres single bin games that won't load either. I don't think the roms are dodgy, as they load on my Mac fine. I don't know what I'm doing wrong on the switch, but theres something amiss, just can't put my finger on it as I don't know enough about it.
I tried few roms in different formats for Rayman and nothing gets pass logo. All the files tested on PC and they work fine. I give up.

Reactions: Spoda

CrazyRach82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried few roms in different formats for Rayman and nothing gets pass logo. All the files tested on PC and they work fine. I give up.
Yep similar problem here, with various games. I’m on a Mac, but run boot camp transfer files to my switch. Also use boot camp to convert games with lots of bin files to just one. Maybe it would be Worth looking at the bios that is in use on the Mac /pc.

Reactions: lolboy

freevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for the post that got deleted, I got confused. It is the latest retroarch nsp that works with goldeneye nintendo 64. I dont know yet about others.

focusonme

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you want tekken 3 in FULL SPEED, i suggest to search for "tekken 3 highly compressed" convert it to pbp. but it won't have in game music and videos. but full speed fighting :D

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64 games DO NOT run well. Only SM64 is what I'd consider truly playable. In order to boot N64 games you MUST launch RA in a way that offers full RAM access (NSP or latest hbloader booted through LayeredFS.

Multi-bin games (above 5 bins) almost never work, even when you load the "main" .bin directly. That means RayMan and WipeOut are not playable for the time being.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo