Homebrew RetroArch Switch

DollyWhipDoll

Royalty & Unbothered. LMFAO!!! ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's one of the potential cores I was talking about some time ago.
The others will remain... a mystery. :bortz2:

That's the MAIN 1 I'm looking forward to, omg! :wacko::grog:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

...other than Dolphin in a year or so...

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

...other than Dolphin in a year or so...
Well to be honest I know nothing about Dolphin :lol:
That one seems unlikely to make it to the Switch due to the heavy amount of specs required for it to run properly.
Perhaps with some optimization of the OpenGL stuff and Dolphin's source code, we could see decent framerates, but that would require quite some time from now.

Reactions: CatmanFan

killersquirel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having some problems. I put the retroarch folder on the root of my card. I put the retroarch_switch.nro file in the switch folder. I installed the nsp file and can select and run retroarch from my switch os screen. I also have placed a Roms folder in the root of the card with subfolders for mame and other systems in that folder. The problem is that I can't load any cores. When I go to try it says that no cores are found. What do I do to get this running? Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted User

Are you using a Mac to put the game onto the sd cards? If so it's possible there's hidden files on your sd card. If you use the command "dot_clean ." on your SD card that might fix the problem, only if you're using a Mac obviously.
yes

itsmefloflo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello everybody.

I have a question or request but first, i apologize if my english is not correct.

I would like to play gx4000 amstrad games on my switch but if i well understood tutorials on the web, the mame core is necessary (not "mame 2000", "mame 2003" but just "mame").

Unfortunately, the "mame" core on switch is not included.

I tried with "mame 2000" and "mame 2003" unsucessfully because these core can only load zip files whereas my game file is cpr or bin.

Can someone give me a trick or an advice to make these games work correctly ?

Thanks in advance

Floflo

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone else played around with the FreeINTV core? I've found the speed it runs at to be weird and inconsistent. Is this core just buggy at the moment on the Switch? I tried a bunch of different settings and couldn't find anything about my configuration that affected it.

It's like it has periods where it runs too fast or something.

Last edited by 9thSage,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody.

I have a question or request but first, i apologize if my english is not correct.

I would like to play gx4000 amstrad games on my switch but if i well understood tutorials on the web, the mame core is necessary (not "mame 2000", "mame 2003" but just "mame").

Unfortunately, the "mame" core on switch is not included.

I tried with "mame 2000" and "mame 2003" unsucessfully because these core can only load zip files whereas my game file is cpr or bin.

Can someone give me a trick or an advice to make these games work correctly ?

Thanks in advance

Floflo
Googling tells me that "MAME 2003 is based on MAME 0.78" and "MESS ... was merged with MAME in version .162" - The computer/console emulators came from MESS, so aren't included in mame 2003 unfortunately.

I don't think we're going to get mainline MAME core on Retroarch, as for Amstrad cores we have CrocoDS which doesn't support GX4000, Caprice32 hasn't been ported to switch plus the retroarch core version doesn't support GX4000 either, must be outdated compared to the standalone emulator which does. I guess someone would have to port a standalone emulator like Caprice to the Switch, you could see if you can convince someone to do it for the bounty.

compilequietly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having some problems. I put the retroarch folder on the root of my card. I put the retroarch_switch.nro file in the switch folder. I installed the nsp file and can select and run retroarch from my switch os screen. I also have placed a Roms folder in the root of the card with subfolders for mame and other systems in that folder. The problem is that I can't load any cores. When I go to try it says that no corL=es are found. What do I do to get this running? Thanks in advance.
load your desired core before you load the content then choose the same cor again if it asks for it.

edit: misread that, use the online autoupdater or go to the libretro page and extract the zip to your sd card it should contain all current cores. you could also use the autoupdater and choose a core manually (the nsp doesn't contain cores and is a smaller package than the zip)

Last edited by compilequietly,

itsmefloflo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Googling tells me that "MAME 2003 is based on MAME 0.78" and "MESS ... was merged with MAME in version .162" - The computer/console emulators came from MESS, so aren't included in mame 2003 unfortunately.

I don't think we're going to get mainline MAME core on Retroarch, as for Amstrad cores we have CrocoDS which doesn't support GX4000, Caprice32 hasn't been ported to switch plus the retroarch core version doesn't support GX4000 either, must be outdated compared to the standalone emulator which does. I guess someone would have to port a standalone emulator like Caprice to the Switch, you could see if you can convince someone to do it for the bounty.

Thank u for you reply.

I won't play gx4000 on my switch
Never mind

Bye

SaulFemm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just used SDFiles to get set up with Atmosphere, so I have the Retroarch .nro set up. Is there any reason to switch to NSP?

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The latest version of Atmosphere has full ram access now so I don't think you need to use the NSP anymore. I still use the NSP just in case.

Is there a way to update homebrew apps on the Switch alone if it's installed as a .nsp? Will using the Homebrew App Store recognize the difference?

Reactions: SaulFemm

9thSage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to update homebrew apps on the Switch alone if it's installed as a .nsp? Will using the Homebrew App Store recognize the difference?
It shouldn't matter, the Homebrew App Store should load just the same as it always did. You can still replace them on the SD itself too if you want as well. Homebrew has access to more RAM this way but I haven't found anything that worked previously that stopped working.

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Homebrew has access to more RAM
I don't understand why my gpd xd has 2gb of ram and the android os kitkat 4.4.4 behind it, which leaves me less than 1 gb of ram free, to execute the whole thing fullspeed ,psx,n64,nes,gensis,snes,weird anyway,an n64 cartridge doesn't make 1 gb of ram as I know,the ram problem? we can't even use the shaders properly without a powerful cpu oc switch,but I would like to understand this ram story not enough.
and 1gb of ram would be enough to store a complete psx cd without any problem, but what is the point of this additional ram, or else the homebrew code must have some kind of memory leak... in short I don't understand this problem.
the switch os is known to be light and optimized.
zelda botw needs less ram than a super mario64?

the only thing that talks about memory would be this?
https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_ABI

Last edited by KHEOPS,

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Okay, thanks..., but I just did some research and I can't find anything that explains this in detail.
as far as I know retroarch android works with 1gb of ram
so there's something about this nintendo switch of different....

DownwardSpyral

The Fastest Thing Alive
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, thanks..., but I just did some research and I can't find anything that explains this in detail.
as far as I know retroarch android works with 1gb of ram
so there's something about this nintendo switch of different....

RetroArch Android has also been in development for much longer. You cannot and should not expect RetroArch to work 100% with it’s first Switch release. It’s not that simple.

Trice

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Without being installed as an NSP RetroArch only had access to roughly 400 MB of the Switch's RAM, not to the full 3.2 GB that regular applications are able to use. This has since changed thanks to the release of nx-hbloader 2.0, though as far as I know only if launched through a homescreen app and not through the album (as explained here or installed as an NSP like before). Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Last edited by Trice,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work