Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

plug313

Trophies
XP
Country
the 3DS so far really doesn't have very good emulators... is it because of specs? or just lack of dedicated developers?
the PSP was weaker than the 3DS and it can emulate the N64 pretty well. you'd imagine at least a New 3DS could emulate PS1 well?

sieroi

Trophies
XP
Country
the 3DS so far really doesn't have very good emulators... is it because of specs? or just lack of dedicated developers?
the PSP was weaker than the 3DS and it can emulate the N64 pretty well. you'd imagine at least a New 3DS could emulate PS1 well?
Just a question of anyone caring enough to put in the work to make it happen.

It's fortunate that we even have RetroArch in its current form.

Reactions: SLiV3R

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The 'stable' designation doesn't mean much for the platforms that aren't the top tier ones like PC. They're usually just the same as the latest nightlies.

Kubba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

An explanation I heard was that the 3DS would need a MIPS interpreter written from scratch, while the PSP ran on a MIPS instruction set. The 3DS runs on ARM processors, which uses a different instruction set. By the time someone went through the laborious process of writing an interpreter, there would not be enough RAM or processing power left to run a usable N64 emulator.

I don't know where that leaves stuff like Vulkan paraLLel, but most threads I've read on the subject give a bleak outlook on N64 on the 3DS. Maybe we'll have better luck on the Switch.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: SaffronXL

MrKatanaObiWan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 'stable' designation doesn't mean much for the platforms that aren't the top tier ones like PC. They're usually just the same as the latest nightlies.

Yes but this straight out doesn't work. Has anyone gotten the .3dsx files working? it's not even useable for me

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes but this straight out doesn't work. Has anyone gotten the .3dsx files working? it's not even useable for me
1.4 is totally broken for me too D: try to open or scan any file and it crashes. I deleted and reinstalled the retroarch folder so that I would have a clean install of a "stable" version, and now I'm totally screwed. What's the point of even designating a release version? Crackheads...

sniper_x002

Trophies
XP
Country
1.4 is totally broken for me too D: try to open or scan any file and it crashes. I deleted and reinstalled the retroarch folder so that I would have a clean install of a "stable" version, and now I'm totally screwed. What's the point of even designating a release version? Crackheads...
Scanning has almost always crashed for me, regardless of version. I did get it to work awhile ago but it's just not worth it IMO.

majoru

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
Has anyone tried gpsp on the new stable ? it always crashes for me , i even deleted my retroarch folder and replaced it with a new one

LoDeus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
PcSX is not updated ? No cia in the 1.4 folder for it and when I use the old version, the UI is the black and green one, and I have to re-replace the retroarch folder to get the new UI in gpsp (which work perfectly with me) (sorry, I'm new to the retroarch thing and don't exactly know what's up with this PSX emulator, nor how to formulate my thoughts xD )

Skittleguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So with 1.4.0, I was able to get it working just fine with the individual cias (SNES9X 2002, Gambatte, Nestopia, gpSP) by replacing the retroarch folder as has been stated before. gpSP kept failing to load content until I remembered to put the gba_bios.bin file back where it belongs, and now that one is working dandy. I was even able to get it to scan my roms and create collections.

However, I am still unable to get the standalone Retroarch cia working without an "SD Card has been removed" error. Oddly enough I can change cores in any loaded cia, which just reloads the frontend, so I guess that functionality is there?

I'm on a new3DS if that makes any difference.

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So with 1.4.0, I was able to get it working just fine with the individual cias (SNES9X 2002, Gambatte, Nestopia, gpSP) by replacing the retroarch folder as has been stated before.
May I ask what you replaced the retroarch folder with it to get scanning working? I'm not sure what previous post you're referring to. Thank you!

Skittleguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
May I ask what you replaced the retroarch folder with it to get scanning working? I'm not sure what previous post you're referring to. Thank you!
Oh, crap, sorry I keep alternating between reading this thread and the one on reddit so it's hard to remember what gets said where. Someone there recommended replacing the retroarch folder with the one in the latest 1.4.0 build (https://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.4.0/nintendo/3ds/) and it made things work again.

As for the collections, I had it scan the parent directory of my roms (I keep them in sdmc:/retroarch/roms/ and then subfolders per console). Took bloody forever but it's all sorted.

Reactions: SaffronXL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ... that's rough buddy