Restore save data from dead 3DS/2DS

I accidentally drop my 3DS and it died, so I bought I new one and tried to transfer all my old save data, but I discover that each console has an encryption layer that makes it difficult to transfer your data to a new console, so here I give you a summarized tutorial for recovering your old saves the way I did.

First it’s necessary that you have all your essentials system files backed up, specifically two files: boot9.bin and movable.sed. Without them, it’s impossible to pass the encryption layer of your old 3DS files.

If you still have access to your 3DS you can back up your files following these steps (if your old console is broken like mine, you can look at your SD card and check inside the folder /gm9/out for these files):

Dumping DuARM9 BootROM:

ARM9 BootROM contains various encryption keys.

• Start GodMode9. You can start it by pressing the START button while you power on your console.
  • Navigate to [M:] MEMORY VIRTUAL.
  • Press L on boot9.bin.
  • Press A to select, then choose "Copy to 0:/gm9/out".
  • Turn off the system.
  • Check inside /gm9/out on the SD card. The file boot9.bin should be created.

Dumping movable.sed:

movable.sed contains KeyY for SD data encryption for all files under /Nintendo 3DS/<id0>/<id1>. The file is located in CTRNAND at /private/movable.sed.

If you have an essentials backup (essential.exefs) created by GodMode9, the file is available inside as "movable".

The drive depends on the source. SysNAND is at [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND. EmuNAND/RedNAND is at [4:] EMUNAND CTRNAND. A mounted NAND backup is at [7:] IMGNAND CTRNAND.

• Start GodMode9.
  • Navigate to the source drive -> private.
  • Select movable.sed, then choose "Copy to 0:/gm9/out".
  • Turn off the system.
  • Check inside /gm9/out on the SD card. The file movable.sed should be created.
After dumping these two files, the next step is decrypting your old save datas. For this, you need to know the Title ID of the games you want to backup. If you don’t know the Title ID of them, you can check them following these steps:

If your console is broken and you can’t access to GodMode9:

• IMPORTANT: Backup the essential system files of your new console to avoid bricking your new console.
  • Insert your old SD on your new console and start GodMode9.
  • Copy your old movable.sed (the one in your SD:/gm9/out) right into CTRNAND into /private/ folder. This will replace your old movable.sed so it’s important to have a backup because you will have to restore it later.
  • Restart GodMode9.
Follow the next steps to get the Title IDs (if you didn’t follow the previous steps, you need to do this on your old console):
  • Go to [A:] SYSNAND SD, press (R)+(A) → Search for titles. You will see a list of all the games you had installed on your old SD with their Title ID. Write down the Title ID of all the games you want to recover.
  • (ONLY IF YOU DID THE STEPS FOR THE BROKEN CONSOLE) After you finish copying the Title IDs, you need to restore the movable.sed of your new console into CTRNAND following the previous steps. Check you did it right by restarting your console.
Once you have the Title IDs of the games you want to restore, you need to install threeSD (you can find it on Github: zhaowenlan1779/threeSD).

After you have installed it, you need to insert your old SD into your computer and open threeSD. It will list your SD. Then you have to go to Utilities. There, make sure you have checked Use SD Decryption, and choose your boot9.bin and movable.sed from your /gm9/out folder. Then choose your SDMC Root (this is the folder where your save data are located). This folder is located at \Nintendo 3DS\<id0>\<id1>. If this folder has a /title/ folder, it’s the correct.

After that, you need to open Save Data Extraction on threeSD and need to choose your Source file. This file is located at \Nintendo 3DS\<id0>\<id1>\title\<gameid0>\<gameid1>\data and it’s usually called 00000001.sav (gameid0 is the first part of the titleID and it’s usually called 00040000, gameid1 will be then the second part of the Title ID you are looking for).

Once you have selected the Source, select your destination folder and proceed. If done correctly, you will have now a folder and a file in the destination folder called 00000001.

So now, you have to copy all the content inside the folder 00000001 (these are the decrypted save datas). You can even use these decrypted save datas on Cytra!

If you want to restore these save datas to your new 3DS, you have to install a 3DS save manager. In my case, I used JKSM (you can find it on Github: J-D-K/JKSM).

Once you have JKSM installed, open the game you want to restore the saves and create a fresh new save data. Then, close the game and open JKSM. Select Reload Titles / Refresh Games.

Then, go to Titles and Select Game. When you choose the game, select the option Save Data and press A on New. This will create a folder on your SD with the date of the save and a backup of the fresh new save data.

Now, you will have to copy the contents of the folder 00000001 that you created before that contains the decrypted save data of your old 3DS and overwrite the folder that you have created with JKSM (this will be located in the folder /JKSM/Saves/ of your SD card).

After that, you just have to open again the game, check your save data is restored and enjoy!

Rude_Boy_EEEE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this account for extra data as well? Such as Persona Q's map data.

Edit: Scratch that; I didn't download threeSD til now, and I see they have an option for it. Perfect!

Last edited by Rude_Boy_EEEE,

Rude_Boy_EEEE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scratch that again, I can't get the moveable.sed. I tried both ninfs and that miner site to no avail. My old SD card data is all I have. I do have an old essential.exefs file, will that do anything? I really mneed some help here...

Edit: I also have an old backed up folder containing some sysnand_00.bin, sysnand_00.binsha, boot9.bin, and essential.exefs files. Anything I can do with these?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't get the moveable.sed. I tried both ninfs
What exactly do you think you were doing with ninfs that would get you your movable.sed?

Edit: I also have an old backed up folder containing some sysnand_00.bin, sysnand_00.binsha, boot9.bin, and essential.exefs files. Anything I can do with these?
boot9.bin is already covered in the initial post (which you read, right?). The .sha file is just a signature. The other two files you should be able to open with ninfs.

Rude_Boy_EEEE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What exactly do you think you were doing with ninfs that would get you your movable.sed?

boot9.bin is already covered in the initial post (which you read, right?). The .sha file is just a signature. The other two files you should be able to open with ninfs.

Yeah, I read it, but I'm just so confused. If I can make it out of this ordeal with my Persona Q maps intact, I'll be satisfied...
I was able to get a movable.sed file, though it was already called movable.bin instead. I read something you mentioned in another thread though, about that happening sometimes.

My current question is do I decrypt each file in PQ's extdata folder, then extract extdata from each one? That's where I'm at now (I think).

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My current question is do I decrypt each file in PQ's extdata folder, then extract extdata from each one? That's where I'm at now (I think).
Extdata is a little weird. But similar to what it says in the first post: start a new game, export the extdata with Checkpoint, and look at what kind of files are in the exported extdata. Then see if you can get threeSD to provide you with something similar.

Rude_Boy_EEEE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Extdata is a little weird. But similar to what it says in the first post: start a new game, export the extdata with Checkpoint, and look at what kind of files are in the exported extdata. Then see if you can get threeSD to provide you with something similar.
I completely forgot that I actually DID back up the Extdata for Persona Q (via Checkpoint) earlier this month... I'm saved. Thank you for reminding me of that wonderful app.

ytt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm gonna clear this up for anyone who's stupid like me (no offense) but you HAVE to select the folder that contains title, extras, backup etc (I didn't need like that was very clear.) Also if you're missing boot9.bin and movable.sed and you have your friend code then you can generate movable.sed and boot9.bin is the same for all 3DS consoles. If anyone needs any help feel free to dm/pm me.
It’s about the fact that my 3DS was formatted, but I was able to recover most of the data in the SD card, (the SD card that came with the 3DS). Once I putted the data that I recovered from the 3DS SD card onto a new SD card that has 32 GB,I putted it back in the formatted 3DS but nothing came so I don’t know what to do .The data didn’t come back as if nothing happened, so I’m asking what can I do or there’s just no way I can restore my 3ds back to its previous state

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It’s about the fact that my 3DS was formatted, but I was able to recover most of the data in the SD card, (the SD card that came with the 3DS). Once I putted the data that I recovered from the 3DS SD card onto a new SD card that has 32 GB,I putted it back in the formatted 3DS but nothing came so I don’t know what to do .The data didn’t come back as if nothing happened, so I’m asking what can I do or there’s just no way I can restore my 3ds back to its previous state
If you used System Format to format your 3DS, then the encryption key was changed and the data on the SD card will be unreadable. You can recover your old encryption key using the "Finding and restoring the KeyY" functionality of the CTR Transfer Type D9 script.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-godmode9-scripts-megathread.482150/page-9#post-8550543

ytt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

If you used System Format to format your 3DS, then the encryption key was changed and the data on the SD card will be unreadable. You can recover your old encryption key using the "Finding and restoring the KeyY" functionality of the CTR Transfer Type D9 script.
Thank you so much Kwyjor , I will try and I will report later.
Edit : Do I read from the top all the way to the bottom? sorry if I ask dumb questions I really want this to work.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Edit : Do I read from the top all the way to the bottom? sorry if I ask dumb questions I really want this to work.
Are you afraid you might accidentally learn something new..?

The CTR Transfer Type D9 script can do a lot of other things, but in this case you are only interested in the "Finding and restoring the KeyY" function.

If it doesn't work, then you should probably start your own new thread as it really doesn't have anything in particular to do with the subject of this thread.

ytt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you afraid you might accidentally learn something new..?

The CTR Transfer Type D9 script can do a lot of other things, but in this case you are only interested in the "Finding and restoring the KeyY" function.

If it doesn't work, then you should probably start your own new thread as it really doesn't have anything in particular to do with the subject of this thread.
ok thanks I guess, I'll keep updating
Post automatically merged:

So I found this dude that helped many people with issues similar to mine and already wrote him a message.

Last edited by ytt,

ytt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, strangely, that's what the earlier poster said too:

I didn't need to do that for some reason, but that's two votes now for doing things that way. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hey I need your help (again). I said that I was going to give updates and that I found someone that may help me, but that person never texted me back and I've been waiting for almost 2 weeks now. I never hacked my 3ds and I am new to all this so I need help (from A to Z). I know I'm saying this in a completely unrelated topic once again but for some reason I cannot find the previous thread were we had our little conversation.

ytt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, you also previously posted in another unrelated thread, which you can see by checking your post history.

Why don't you create your own brand-new thread?! But please take a moment to review How to Ask Questions the Smart Way first.
How do I create a brand new thread? Or perhaps texting privately is a better option? As always, I will keep updating and I will read the "how to ask questions the smart way".

ytt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok then. Sorry for wasting time I guess.
Oh, so thats what you meant by "thread". I thought you meant like a new page, a new blog! Sorry for the misunderstanding( idk why I keep apologizing to myself but whatever) . I have to go to somewhere now but I will continue writing this afternoon about what I now for now.
Post automatically merged:

Oh, so thats what you meant by "thread". I thought you meant like a new page, a new blog! Sorry for the misunderstanding( idk why I keep apologizing to myself but whatever) . I have to go to somewhere now but I will continue writing this afternoon about what I now for now.
So a like I previously stated, I never hacked my 3ds, but I know that I can get homebrew in it as i've watched Youtube videos (I literally just found out that I have to go on a site and follow them as youtube videos are never up to date). When u stated :
"Finding and restoring the KeyY" functionality of the CTR Transfer Type D9 script.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-godmode9-scripts-megathread.482150/page-9#post-8550543

Here I just did an overview of what to expect/what to do but It wasn't long until I knew I had to hack it (obviously). When u showed me How to Ask Questions the Smart Way, I better understood my previous mistakes( I didn't finish reading but I get the main Ideas). I also don't want to do this just "fix" my 3ds. I also want to know more because, well...why not? So yeah I basically didn't do the full research but now I know what to do and I may continue asking questions in the future (most likely since i'm a noob). As always I will continue updating.

Last edited by ytt,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You still haven't created a new thread. Please stop adding unrelated replies here and start your own new thread.

I appreciate that you're trying, but if starting a new thread is beyond you, then I don't know how any other instructions I can provide will help you at all.

ytt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You still haven't created a new thread. Please stop adding unrelated replies here and start your own new thread.

I appreciate that you're trying, but if starting a new thread is beyond you, then I don't know how any other instructions I can provide will help you at all.
Ok I created a new blog, its: I need help for my 3ds (decrypt it step by step)

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok I created a new blog, its: I need help for my 3ds (decrypt it step by step)
If I thought you should create a new blog, I would have said "create a new blog". I said you should create a new thread.

If you cannot follow simple instructions, then no one is going to be able to help you solve your other problems and you should find someone to help you in person. Sorry.

ytt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I thought you should create a new blog, I would have said "create a new blog". I said you should create a new thread.

If you cannot follow simple instructions, then no one is going to be able to help you solve your other problems and you should find someone to help you in person. Sorry.
You didn't respond to specific questions I had about this. Anyways, I'm having issues copying the boot.firm and the boot.3dsx from the Luma3DS folder ( mind you this is one of the steps to mod your 3ds https://3ds.guide/) This is what its showing :
IMG_2558.jpeg

It’s basically saying that this disk is write-protected and to remove the protection in written or use another disc (translated). The check box below says ”Do this for all current elements “. How do I turn the protection feature off so that I can copy the files?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol