Hardware Response from Nintendo suggests GC adapter works with Wii mode

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not it. USB specification limits the power output a USB port may have. Some manufacturers and devices go around this (e.g. Apple), but in the end it's all about conforming to specifications as required by the license to use technology like this. Manufacturers only came out with Y-cables to workaround this limitation. It never was an actual solution to the problem, but it stuck and people started using it. Remember, Nintendo even recommends to use an externally powered HDD with its own power adapter.

I get that but that doesnt stop Nintendo from allowing their ports to push out more power. The ports on the original Wii push out more power than the ports on Wii U. I have yet to experience the force shutdown from too much power draw on Wii that I have (twice) on Wii U. The USB power limit on Wii U is just a pain in the ass and the lack of ports is just as frustrating.

Reactions: Kupie

Kupie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get that but that doesnt stop Nintendo from allowing their ports to push out more power. The ports on the original Wii push out more power than the ports on Wii U. I have yet to experience the force shutdown from too much power draw on Wii that I have (twice) on Wii U. The USB power limit on Wii U is just a pain in the ass and the lack of ports is just as frustrating.

I hear that! It's so annoying on how much power they have. For what I'll want, I'll probably have to get like a cheap powered HUB or something which means an extra wall socket being used...

You could put a splitter on the one you have coming from the outlet. .5 Amps should be good enough for anything I would think!

Kupie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
true... :(

If/when I want to expand my memory, chances are I'm just going to get a 64 GB micro-stick that's usb 3.0. (just because!)

Low power use on those things!

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Why doesn't somebody, gee, I don't know... BUY ONE AND TRY IT OUT??? Worst case scenario, it doesn't work in Gamecube mode (Devolution/Nintendon't)

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
welp this is
mythbustersbusted.png

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Why doesn't somebody, gee, I don't know... BUY ONE AND TRY IT OUT??? Worst case scenario, it doesn't work in Gamecube mode (Devolution/Nintendon't)

It'll only be out starting Nov 21, Dec 5 (Europe) and Dec 6 (Japan).

I guess I'll just wait for NoJ/NoA to make an official statement about this because NoUK keeps on changing their word.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's gonna make people to say 'GC GAMEZ ON WIIU YE BRO' but realistically there's not gonna be a legit way to do that since the WiiU won't read GC Games from disc right?

It says in that email that it'll be compatible in Wii mode with WII GAMES that needed a GC controller, though no mention of anything else like VC and the like. It wouldn't make a difference to Nintendo about VC anyways I suppose since the eShop has closed down now hasn't it? So unless they're appealing to those who have hundreds of transferred legitimate VC games before the close I dunno what they're thinking haha

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

The email says "Nintendo of America" and this new news about it only working with SSB came from Nintendo of UK, so who do you trust more? Nintendo of America (far larger and more reliable than NoUK) or Nintendo of UK?

Taking a look back at it, I guess there's still some hope for NoA to make an official statement confirming the contrary of what NoUK said.

ichidansan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I work at wal-mart, and spoke with the Nintendo vendor today.almost went full fanboy. I bought up my disappointment about the adapter, and it not working with other games than smash bros. she said that "well for now I can see it being that way, but it would make sense that a few more games would be compatible later on" then she went on about amibos and smash for wii u coming out the same day. after I asked if we were getting any new displays soon. such a good day for those 4 min.

yes being a store rep probably isnt the most inside job but, would be nice if those were subtle hints about awesomeness to come.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
just use the damn WUPC there's nothing wrong with it. the gbc controller had it's time.

Nothing wrong with the Wii U Pro Controller? Digital triggers, incorrectly placed second analogue stick and glossy controller.

The GameCube's lacking the left shoulder button but Nintendo games usually don't make use of all buttons so I'm OK with it, besides there'll be the PDP/Hori controllers as an alternative.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4