Resident Evil: Revelations Development

CrimzonEyed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
resident_Evil_rev_thumb.jpg

In a few weeks, Capcom will release Resident Evil: Revelations for the Nintendo 3DS, and Nintendo president, Satoru Iwata, recently gathered a few senior members of the development team to discuss the game’s creation. Revelations producer, Masachika Kawata, says that the idea to create a full-featured Resident Evil game for a portable device came to him after he learnt that Nintendo would be showing a device with stereoscopic 3D visuals at E3 2010. Since Kawata still hears from many people that the Resident Evil remake for the Gamecube is the best game in the series, it was decided that Revelations would similarly focus on the fear element. Development kicked off after Capcom decided to make Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D first, and use that game to build up experience with the 3DS hardware. The development team started by running Resident Evil 5 on the 3DS. Impressed by the impact it had, the team moved on to developing Mercenaries 3D. At the same time, Revelations was developed in parallel, with experience gained from both games benefiting one another. Resident Evil: Revelations has six language tracks on the cartridge, including a Japanese voice track. This is the first time a Resident Evil game has had a Japanese voices recorded for it, and the decision was made because the team wanted Revelations to feel like a foreign TV drama. Foreign dramas aired in Japan are often aired with Japanese voice-overs where the actors frequently use terms that aren’t commonly found in daily conversations in Japanese culture. It was this sensation that the development team wanted to recapture. Another influence of TV dramas is that the game is split up into 12 chapters, and has several scenes ending with cliffhangers. Additionally, events aren’t always depicted in chronological order. Because the game plays out like a TV drama, Revelations also makes use of recurring theme music. Music for the game was recorded using orchestrated instruments, with a focus on the piano in particular. The development team also briefly touched upon the Raid Mode in Resident Evil: Revelations. Raid Mode is a 2-player mode, similar to the Mercenaries mode in recent Resident Evil games, or to The Mercenaries 3D. The decision to include this was inspired by watching the Monster Hunter team, and the staff that worked on fine-tuning Mercenaries 3D was called upon to develop Raid Mode. This was another way in which Revelations benefitted from prior experience gained with Mercenaries 3D.

:arrow: Source

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
At least it has the specs to run it, porting Re5 means they can port other stuff too, Mainly because this game is designed for home consoles. Maybe Grezzo Will re-code TloZ:Wind Waker (As It Is Last Gen, It isn't as heavy as Re5), Considering they did Ocarina Of Time 3D, and Four Swords Adventure. :yaynds: I love you Grezzo.

paulfalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, very interesting, indeed. And Revelations looks really nice graphics wise so, a lot of those GC, SNES, N64 ports don't seem so impossible any more. Can't wait to get my hands on the full game of RE:R

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I have to say... I NEARLY dropped my 3DS when those two idiots fell on me.

Guess I really need that clunky attachment for the extra grip...

Reactions: 1 person

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country

i was on the toilet when that happened... good thing my 3DS has one of those hand straps, and i only let go of one hand. almost slammed on the bowl though. armor would protect from scratch, but not from hard impact.

anyways, if the 3DS can run something like RE:5 (is that PS2?), i'd die and be the second coming if ICO and Shadow of the Colossus suddenly gets remade for the 3DS. imagine romping on horseback in 60FPS 3D...

Rife

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to say, that screenshot shows a much better looking version of the enemy than I saw in the demo. I'd hoped that was the case because while the character model of Jill and the scenery looked excellent, the zombie(?) looked too bright, glowy and out of place. I'd assumed this was because of compression issues or the demo was made from an earlier build than the release one, and hoped the actual would be better.

PyroSpark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

anyways, if the 3DS can run something like RE:5 (is that PS2?), i'd die and be the second coming if ICO and Shadow of the Colossus suddenly gets remade for the 3DS. imagine romping on horseback in 60FPS 3D...

Then you'd be happy to know that RE5 is PS3/360....>_>

saberjoy

Trophies
XP
Country
India
so you have played shadow of the collosus and ico and LOVED them?
then nice to meet you,

man,these guys are so hard to find nowadays -.-

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
so you have played shadow of the collosus and ico and LOVED them?
then nice to meet you,

man,these guys are so hard to find nowadays -.-
especially ICO. simple shadow blobs are scarier when all you got against them is a twig (okay, maybe a stick, but it might as well be a twig).

but i loved both titles mainly because when i first played them, they shattered boundaries. Shadow was so expansive, and ICO was so immersive. it was just amazing how both games looked, nevermind the simplistic premise.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto