Resident Evil 7 to be announced at E3, will "go back to horror roots"

resident_evil_4-1152x720.jpg

According to the Japanese analyst Serkan Toto, Resident Evil 7 will be unveiled at E3 this year. He also stated the the series will "go back to [Resident Evil's] horror roots" and will be essentially "a clean slate". After the disappointment of Resident Evil 6, which also claimed to be returning to the series' roots, will Capcom actually be able to make a worthy successor to the older games?

:arrow:Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Like that part where you're in a dark sewer and you have to wait for atleast 4 minutes iirc for an elevator to power up, while the Verdugo (some Xenomorph looking creature) chases you around and tries to rip your heart out.
I think the Half Life franchise ruined lift/elevator waits much like Battlefield Earth ruined the Dutch angle in cinematography.

People thinking tank controls are inherently bad probably only played the games for 1 hour before giving up because it has a slight learning curve and it isn't your traditional style. Tank controls aren't bad if I can play them just fine in Silent Hill 1-3 and every Resident Evil before 6 just fine, you just need to git gud. Some people just have to take the time to get used to something different.
Bad? Not necessarily. Functional? I guess. Good and worth putting into your 2016/2017 game? No as there are far superior alternatives. Even if you want the less than stellar controls to double up and induce some kind of panic/fear/concern there are still better ways.
Bringing tank controls back would probably be like when the new Sonic games made him go fast rather than actually being more about control. Superficially it might kind of do something but it is not the best move.

Reactions: JustAKirby

Silent Hell

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bad? Not necessarily. Functional? I guess. Good and worth putting into your 2016/2017 game? No as there are far superior alternatives. Even if you want the less than stellar controls to double up and induce some kind of panic/fear/concern there are still better ways.
Bringing tank controls back would probably be like when the new Sonic games made him go fast rather than actually being more about control. Superficially it might kind of do something but it is not the best move.
For a game that uses fixed camera, there is no better alternative than tank controls. Hell, even in games like Silent Hill where the camera was behind you some of the time it was fine. I don't see how it is inherently inferior than alternative controls. Unless you're talking about keeping the camera behind the player I still disagree with this.

Again, just because there is a SLIGHT learning curve to a game doesn't make it objectively worse. In fact, I encourage Capcom to at least TRY to go back to fixed camera and tank controls because of the success of REmake and RE0 HD. Give us both options then, but I am sick of modern RE. I don't care about being able to 100% control where I'm aiming and I don't care for the over the shoulder camera.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
People thinking tank controls are inherently bad probably only played the games for 1 hour before giving up because it has a slight learning curve and it isn't your traditional style. Tank controls aren't bad if I can play them just fine in Silent Hill 1-3 and every Resident Evil before 6 just fine, you just need to git gud. Some people just have to take the time to get used to something different.
Yeah, iti's funny because when dealing with a fixed camera perspective, tank controls IS THE way to go. Just check the REmake remake (:P) with the new control scheme, I SWEAR, it will happen many times, where you run back into one scene multiple times because the direction changes because it's relative to the camera and not the character, and that is why tank controls make sense. Forward is always forward.

rro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Well, my biggest problem with the RE 4-6 series is the fact that the zombies has mutated so much that it doesn't resembles a zombie anymore. A zombie that can communicate and acts like a human is 'so not zombie'. It was more like an enhanced human, like those explosive human in Iron Man 3 movie, or a human that has been taken over by parasitic alien being. And the boss that can turn into dinosaur and return to human again, it's already far from the image of how a zombie should be. Well, maybe it's just that i'm kind of old fashioned, but really, it just feels weird. As for tank control and the like, i don't really mind that much, even though it does changes a bit of the game mechanics. So for me, it's not the game mechanics that i hate, but the game universe that shifting quite a lot from a zombie world. Heck, maybe they would even put a zombie so clever that can use machine guns or tanks later in the game.

Last edited by rro,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But they promised a "return to the origin" own with RE6. RE4 is a bit horror, and still a great game. RE5 had more action, but is even a last piece of story, the conclusion, so ok. But RE6 is absolutely pathetic. And anyway in RE4 and RE5 we had a Infected, not Zombie. Resident Evil it is about Virus and Experiment, so not only zombie, infected are right. But in re6 we have zombie... that run, jump and shoot? Dont make me laught. And about the story of re6: everyone see that not regard the original plot. Its a ridicolous soap-opera with fake zombies. A totally shit.

well, the whole series has always been about bioweapon engeneering. the ultimate goal being to create supersoldiers that are strong, obedient, violent and if possible, selfmultiplying. the first human victims turning into cretures resembling zombies was never the endgoal.

though, if we're being logical here, after the second time a handful of people with limited ammo managed to survive and destroy like a gigantic horde of bows, the whole virus monster endeavor would have been stomped to the ground as a ridiculous failure.

also the nemesis could operate weaponry. from the first game on, there were running or jumping monsters.
also, wesker. he was a fully operational 'zombie', its been there from the very start.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, iti's funny because when dealing with a fixed camera perspective, tank controls IS THE way to go. Just check the REmake remake (:P) with the new control scheme, I SWEAR, it will happen many times, where you run back into one scene multiple times because the direction changes because it's relative to the camera and not the character, and that is why tank controls make sense. Forward is always forward.
while tank controls and fixed cams necessitate each other, the truth is that both are terrible design choices for any game and just because they work together doesn't mean thateither is good or that they're somehow good if put together

Well, my biggest problem with the RE 4-6 series is the fact that the zombies has mutated so much that it doesn't resembles a zombie anymore. A zombie that can communicate and acts like a human is 'so not zombie'. It was more like an enhanced human, like those explosive human in Iron Man 3 movie, or a human that has been taken over by parasitic alien being. And the boss that can turn into dinosaur and return to human again, it's already far from the image of how a zombie should be. Well, maybe it's just that i'm kind of old fashioned, but really, it just feels weird. As for tank control and the like, i don't really mind that much, even though it does changes a bit of the game mechanics. So for me, it's not the game mechanics that i hate, but the game universe that shifting quite a lot from a zombie world. Heck, maybe they would even put a zombie so clever that can use machine guns or tanks later in the game.

again, wesker. he did all that from game 1. and the nemesis could operate bazookas, he could operate machneguns too. obviously, everything from los ganados onward could also drive tanks.

from 4 onwards, it wasn't just X-virus zombies. the virus was spliced with a parasite to make the virus recepients more controlable, to make them better weapons. because people quickly noticed that a slow zombie really isn't actually a thread for anything resembling a military.

As I sit here thinking about it I wondered if any of the player characters had got more than about 3 pages of text characterisation. I am pretty sure various incarnations of Link on Zelda have got more than any PC from Resident Evil with the possible exception of Billy in RE0 and that was hardly good.

implying you couldn't accurately describe any character in the world in less than three pages.

also, its not that tank controls itself are terrible so much. mainly its how sluggish they are which is super unrealistic. nothing in re1-3 appart from the giant monsters pose a honestthreat to anyone able to move like a normal person. you could literally clear 90% of the villa with a broken off broomstick and never be in actual danger

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For a game that uses fixed camera, there is no better alternative than tank controls. Hell, even in games like Silent Hill where the camera was behind you some of the time it was fine. I don't see how it is inherently inferior than alternative controls. Unless you're talking about keeping the camera behind the player I still disagree with this.

Again, just because there is a SLIGHT learning curve to a game doesn't make it objectively worse. In fact, I encourage Capcom to at least TRY to go back to fixed camera and tank controls because of the success of REmake and RE0 HD. Give us both options then, but I am sick of modern RE. I don't care about being able to 100% control where I'm aiming and I don't care for the over the shoulder camera.

No better alternative? If you are not needing full aiming (abstract aiming is fine, not sure I would call for its return to RE but still fine) with a fixed camera, or slight single rotation and non grid movement then I would argue basic single stick movement (with a button to stand and deliver) is still far superior.

Even if you did not have the verticality and jumping I hold such a thing would still be better.

Maybe they could improve tank controls, and they did with the dodge mechanic and quick 180 turn in later games, but unless my highly trained killer is in a mech suit at the time it just feels wrong. If you want the awkwardness of not being able to swing your weapon around in half a second that tank controls affords you can add momentum or increase ready times a bit for having turned.

Well, my biggest problem with the RE 4-6 series is the fact that the zombies has mutated so much that it doesn't resembles a zombie anymore. A zombie that can communicate and acts like a human is 'so not zombie'. It was more like an enhanced human, like those explosive human in Iron Man 3 movie, or a human that has been taken over by parasitic alien being. And the boss that can turn into dinosaur and return to human again, it's already far from the image of how a zombie should be.
What should a zombie be? There are a bunch of cultures with a bunch of takes/myths on the matter, a bunch of films, not many books like we might have for vampires. Also from the start the series seems to have been about science run wild than the animated corpses of your loved ones returning from the grave.

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
well, the whole series has always been about bioweapon engeneering. the ultimate goal being to create supersoldiers that are strong, obedient, violent and if possible, selfmultiplying. the first human victims turning into cretures resembling zombies was never the endgoal.

though, if we're being logical here, after the second time a handful of people with limited ammo managed to survive and destroy like a gigantic horde of bows, the whole virus monster endeavor would have been stomped to the ground as a ridiculous failure.

also the nemesis could operate weaponry. from the first game on, there were running or jumping monsters.
also, wesker. he was a fully operational 'zombie', its been there from the very start.

So, the Umbrella was founded by Rockefeller and Rotschild? LOL

3DSPoet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way I understood the backstory, the "zombies" were never an intended outcome of the T-Virus variants, but rather a nasty side-effect.

The Cerberus, Hunters, etc were all controlled experiments to make BOW.

In each of the first games (Resident 1, 2, 3, & CV), the plot was basically the same. Wrong place, wrong time, virus outbreak, zombies everywhere, BOWs sent to clean up any witnesses.... The player was confronted with a wide variety of different difficulties in battles which "usually" spiked as you progressed through the game. Main progression through the game was achieved through solving puzzles or "this for that" scenarios. Aside from the protagonist, contact with other non-enemies were semi-rare. Overall, it was a dark, desperate, trial for survival that taxed both your reflexes and your brain. That's the classic recipe and "the roots" of Resident Evil, to me.

When Resident Evil 4 came out, I was pretty excited because I loved the previous games. Coming across that first guy in the house at the very beginning was a clue that something different was going on.... The fact that RE4 is more about an intentional infestation of parasites into human hosts to create puppets for a mad overlord broke the plot, to me. It was a great game, but it wasn't Resident Evil because it was an intentionally created situation with enemies that were put there specifically to stop you with a master plan behind it all. Resident Evil 5 was the same way. Both pretty decent action games, but neither had the "feel" of a Resident Evil game.

I started to play RE6, but when the entire first sequence was all quick time events, I quit playing.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
When Resident Evil 4 came out, I was pretty excited because I loved the previous games. Coming across that first guy in the house at the very beginning was a clue that something different was going on.... The fact that RE4 is more about an intentional infestation of parasites into human hosts to create puppets for a mad overlord broke the plot, to me. It was a great game, but it wasn't Resident Evil because it was an intentionally created situation with enemies that were put there specifically to stop you with a master plan behind it all. Resident Evil 5 was the same way. Both pretty decent action games, but neither had the "feel" of a Resident Evil game.

I started to play RE6, but when the entire first sequence was all quick time events, I quit playing.

only that it wasn't. the re4 infestation wasn't intentional, the discovery of dormant plagas spores was an accident. i mean, k, i think saddler and salazar made people dig under the castle, but plagas just being dormant and comming back like that wasnt the initial plan.
they had half the village and prolly themselves infested before they looked into the whole presidents daughter thing,
a few hosts ended up being like master plagas and eventually took control of the horde and used it. more or less to kill the president and eventually spread the plagas.

its never really dived into if saddler, salazar and the other special hosts aren't in large part also manipulatedby the plagas and their desire to spread.

also, didnt it turn out that every other virus outbreak in the series was orchestraded too?

and wasnt the nemesis specifically sent into the fray to stop you?

Last edited by Clydefrosch,

3DSPoet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hahaha, you got me. Yes, the outbreaks in the first games were caused on purpose, but they were smokescreens rather than attempts to take over the world. It wasn't people intentionally infecting people to create an army or anything like that.

As far as Nemesis goes, he was not a "zombie", he was a Tyrant. So he falls under the category of BOWs sent in to clean up the mess. He was specifically programmed to hunt down S.T.A.R.S members, which included Jill, Brad, and any other survivors. He wasn't super intelligent, though. If you play the game and watch the cut-scenes, he was very methodical and deliberate in his movements and actions. He was able to make connections such as the chopper was coming to rescue Jill, so he shot it down to continue his mission, but he wasn't plotting any elaborate traps for anyone.

Although, there is one anomaly that someone mentioned earlier, which is Wesker. He was presumably only human in the first game or he wouldn't have let himself be defeated. But by the time we see him in the later games, he's become super strong and fast and probably has other powers. I don't believe Wesker's mutation came from Umbrella research, though.

(I know they aren't technically canon, but I LOVE the portrayal of Wesker in the Resident Evil novels.)

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This can be fixed with good programming. Eternal Darkness managed it.

I've even seen something done in Zelda that would solve the problem and it doesn't even deal with a fixed camera. This particular scenario took place in Twilight Princess inside the volcano dungeon where the iron boots could let you walk up a magnetized wall to the ceiling. If you faced the wall, pressing forward on the joystick would have you walk to the wall, continue walking up the wall, and then continue walking on the ceiling towards the camera. However, once you were on the ceiling, if you changed the direction on the analog stick, it would switch back to moving you relative to the camera (so if, say, you released the joystick and then pressed forward again, you'd turn around and walk away from the camera to the wall again and back to the ground).

Asterik1904

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Resident evil 6 is pretty wack. The cutscenes were cheesy and there was no sense of danger because you can just kick your way out of most enemies. I'm glad they are going back to the old school roots. I'm gonna be looking forward to seeing more of this game and red dead remption 2 when and if they are revealed

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hahaha, you got me. Yes, the outbreaks in the first games were caused on purpose, but they were smokescreens rather than attempts to take over the world. It wasn't people intentionally infecting people to create an army or anything like that.

As far as Nemesis goes, he was not a "zombie", he was a Tyrant. So he falls under the category of BOWs sent in to clean up the mess. He was specifically programmed to hunt down S.T.A.R.S members, which included Jill, Brad, and any other survivors. He wasn't super intelligent, though. If you play the game and watch the cut-scenes, he was very methodical and deliberate in his movements and actions. He was able to make connections such as the chopper was coming to rescue Jill, so he shot it down to continue his mission, but he wasn't plotting any elaborate traps for anyone.

Although, there is one anomaly that someone mentioned earlier, which is Wesker. He was presumably only human in the first game or he wouldn't have let himself be defeated. But by the time we see him in the later games, he's become super strong and fast and probably has other powers. I don't believe Wesker's mutation came from Umbrella research, though.

(I know they aren't technically canon, but I LOVE the portrayal of Wesker in the Resident Evil novels.)

dude, just stop it. you're bending and twisting your logic so hard, you might break your neck if you go on.

no, they were caused by people creating bioweapons with military use in mind, so others could create an army and they could get rich. in addition to that, the great discoverers all saw their mutation virus as a way to gain superpower and rule and stuff. most people just die or oh no the virus that should give me godpowers somehow just makes me a monster, before they can go to ruling the world.

the nemesis is also a zombie and all zombies are technically tyrants cause they're the results of tyrant-virus infection.

wesker is human up until shortly before the original tyrant stabs him, before that happens, he infects himself with the t virus. so he can survive being stabbed by the tyrant. he pretends to be dead and later flees. at that point, he already has all his future super powers. and it came from the umbrella research, which he, as a researcher for umbrella himself, helped move along before the events of re1 unfold

hmhm. 900.000 of those are the same that already bought the other 13 remakes of the same game.
so it only took re 1 like 4 seperate releases to get a total of about 6 million sells.

re6 did that in one sitting. imagine what happens if they remaster that one

3DSPoet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dude, just stop it. you're bending and twisting your logic so hard, you might break your neck if you go on.

no, they were caused by people creating bioweapons with military use in mind, so others could create an army and they could get rich. in addition to that, the great discoverers all saw their mutation virus as a way to gain superpower and rule and stuff. most people just die or oh no the virus that should give me godpowers somehow just makes me a monster, before they can go to ruling the world.

the nemesis is also a zombie and all zombies are technically tyrants cause they're the results of tyrant-virus infection.

wesker is human up until shortly before the original tyrant stabs him, before that happens, he infects himself with the t virus. so he can survive being stabbed by the tyrant. he pretends to be dead and later flees. at that point, he already has all his future super powers. and it came from the umbrella research, which he, as a researcher for umbrella himself, helped move along before the events of re1 unfold

hmhm. 900.000 of those are the same that already bought the other 13 remakes of the same game.
so it only took re 1 like 4 seperate releases to get a total of about 6 million sells.

re6 did that in one sitting. imagine what happens if they remaster that one

I can see you are very passionate about this, so I will step away from your wave of leetness before it consumes me.

*exits conversation*

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
RE6 was Resident Gear of war :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: but i loved Revelation 2 and 2 HD remasters. And finally crapcom has finally done with re-re-release of HD of remaster of remakes LOL

Last edited by leon315,
Reactions: Shadowfied

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
RE6 was Resident Gear of war :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: but i loved Revelation 2 and 2 HD remasters. And finally crapcom has finally done with re-re-release of HD of remaster of remakes LOL
Speaking of the HD remakes, why was it that 4 never actually became HD? They re-released it so many fucking times on different platforms, then HD re-releases on 360 and PS3, then "Ultra-HD" on PC, but it still looked like complete arse, like, seriously. The "ULTRA HD" version looks worse than the GameCube REmake from 2002.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work