Resident Evil 7 to be announced at E3, will "go back to horror roots"

resident_evil_4-1152x720.jpg

According to the Japanese analyst Serkan Toto, Resident Evil 7 will be unveiled at E3 this year. He also stated the the series will "go back to [Resident Evil's] horror roots" and will be essentially "a clean slate". After the disappointment of Resident Evil 6, which also claimed to be returning to the series' roots, will Capcom actually be able to make a worthy successor to the older games?

:arrow:Source

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
how many action games does ittake for that to become the true resident evil?

more like say goodbye to ancient resident evil
But they promised a "return to the origin" own with RE6. RE4 is a bit horror, and still a great game. RE5 had more action, but is even a last piece of story, the conclusion, so ok. But RE6 is absolutely pathetic. And anyway in RE4 and RE5 we had a Infected, not Zombie. Resident Evil it is about Virus and Experiment, so not only zombie, infected are right. But in re6 we have zombie... that run, jump and shoot? Dont make me laught. And about the story of re6: everyone see that not regard the original plot. Its a ridicolous soap-opera with fake zombies. A totally shit.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
>Resident Evil 7 to be announced at E3

Wouldn't announcing that it'll be announced be the game's announcement?
...we need to go deeper...

Also, did you see the CoroCoro/Pokémon thing? Announcing that coverage will begin in the next issue, in the next issue telling that the first spoilers will be in the issue after that.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hope that Chris Redfield will be in it. He is my favourite character. :D
As I sit here thinking about it I wondered if any of the player characters had got more than about 3 pages of text characterisation. I am pretty sure various incarnations of Link on Zelda have got more than any PC from Resident Evil with the possible exception of Billy in RE0 and that was hardly good.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
they promised the exactly same thing with RE6 and we all saw the result; so goodbye TRUE resident evil...

This. Resident evil 6 was not horror. It was horrible.

This is just "words" but untill i see actual footage showing true survival horror then i refuse to believe them. The best resident evil game since the classic games was revelations and they even managed to ruin that with the sequel. We need another game like revelations, RE4 style view point but with original resident evil corridors and puzzles and a genuinely tense setting. What we dont need is limitless ammo, big open areas with frigging "duck and cover" gameplay.

rro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
5 sold 7 million
6 sold 6.5

the only game to come close to that is 2 with 6 million sells.
1 didn't sell that much even with 10 remakes.

revelations, much less actiony sold only a million and a bit.

you say critically acclaimed. i say, 5 and 6 old better anyway.
critical acclaim in a niche genre is only worth so much

I don't think that the numbers for RE 1-4 is quite right. Why is that? Because it's so easy to make a copy of PS1 and PS2 game. Even an elementary school can do that as long as they have a computer. In my country, lots of people buy and play RE game at PS1 and PS2 platform, but most of them didn't buy an original copy, because pirated PS1 and PS2 games is being sold so freely. The case is different from RE 5 and 6, which is hard to be pirated (although the PC version can be pirated though).

Also, i remember about a poll in certain forum, asking which RE series is the best. And out of thousands vote, RE 3 came in as the most voted. It shows that most people prefers the old-style that RE 3 and before it gave us. While that number may be too low to represent the majority of RE fans, but at least you can get the general idea, right?

I won't judge who's right and who's wrong. Every person has their own preference on which style they like the most. But for me, i would be happy if RE 7 is finally 'back to nature', and the nature of a zombie is shown better in RE 1-3 than 4-6, where they feature a zombie who can talk, think, run, or even coordinate with each other.

Last edited by rro,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think that the numbers for RE 1-4 is quite right. Why is that? Because it's so easy to make a copy of PS1 and PS2 game. Even an elementary school can do that as long as they have a computer. In my country, lots of people buy and play RE game at PS1 and PS2 platform, but most of them didn't buy an original copy, because pirated PS1 and PS2 games is being sold so freely. The case is different from RE 5 and 6, which is hard to be pirated (although the PC version can be pirated though).

The 360 compares well to the PS1 and PS2 for piracy -- after you got a DVD mod you download an ISO and burn it off on any burner with the only annoying part being you had to fork out for dual layer discs. At least until XGD3 appeared which was after 5. Equally if you are going to do that then you are also going to have to consider second hand versions and they did well there -- you have maybe 20 hours, some co-op and not a lot of replay after that. One also has to wonder how many people are rocking chipped and modded devices (there is a fairly popular thing where people with modded wiis were considered, https://hackmii.com/2012/02/the-homebrew-channel-v1-1-0/ reckoned a few million installs for the wii which was all software), now the situation on the ground in Indonesia will probably be quite different but how much carries I do not know.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Also, i remember about a poll in certain forum, asking which RE series is the best. And out of thousands vote, RE 3 came in as the most voted. It shows that most people prefers the old-style that RE 3 and before it gave us. While that number may be too low to represent the majority of RE fans, but at least you can get the general idea, right?

I won't judge who's right and who's wrong. Every person has their own preference on which style they like the most. But for me, i would be happy if RE 7 is finally 'back to nature', and the nature of a zombie is shown better in RE 1-3 than 4-6, where they feature a zombie who can talk, think, run, or even coordinate with each other.

the thing is, no one cares if a game got pirated a billion times. it didnt make them money.

also, if you ask re fans what their favorite re game is, of course they'll all vote for a re game. doesn't change the fact that they're a few 100.000s and the potential market to sell action games to is millions.
it doesnt matter what re veterans think. they are too small a group to matter at this point.

SlimPortable

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"back to it's roots"
Capcom please don't toy with my feelings...please..

I love how you assume you're in the majority here, as if RE6 is a beloved and cherished game. It's an utter abomination, it really is. And I'm not saying that just because I adore the old style of RE, I'm saying that because it's a cheesy mess. I recently played it again and me and my friend were literally dying of laughter. It's like a real cheap cheesy B-movie, but it actually thinks it's good. They are blending "horror" with comedy, throwing cheesy one liners after kills and events and it's frankly embarrassing. The gameplay is decent at best, they finally figured out that a controller has 2 sticks and that people have 2 hands. I think all versions of the game, their critic metascores and user scores reflect the general consensus on the game pretty well.
I didn't say it was a great game, all I've heard is how fans hated it, but it is regardless still one of the best selling games in the entire franchise. Capcom has zero reason to go back to survival horror if something as "bad" as RE6 sold over six million, I'm just saying so people that really believe Capcom cares about taking the series back to its roots don't get their expectations up too high. But if I'm wrong that'd be great. RE2 was my favorite entry in the series, haven't played 4 yet.

Boured

A Dusk Lycanroc who cares a lot about people.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah! Behold the return of tank controls and bad voice acting!

Nah they won't go too much back to thier roots, but it's nice they are doing that.

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This. Resident evil 6 was not horror. It was horrible.

This is just "words" but untill i see actual footage showing true survival horror then i refuse to believe them. The best resident evil game since the classic games was revelations and they even managed to ruin that with the sequel. We need another game like revelations, RE4 style view point but with original resident evil corridors and puzzles and a genuinely tense setting. What we dont need is limitless ammo, big open areas with frigging "duck and cover" gameplay.

I agree totally with this, the series is now (no pun) a franchise zombie a former shell of what it once was.

Silent Hell

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People thinking tank controls are inherently bad probably only played the games for 1 hour before giving up because it has a slight learning curve and it isn't your traditional style. Tank controls aren't bad if I can play them just fine in Silent Hill 1-3 and every Resident Evil before 6 just fine, you just need to git gud. Some people just have to take the time to get used to something different.

Last edited by Silent Hell,
Reactions: Shadowfied

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
People thinking tank controls are inherently bad probably only played the games for 1 hour before giving up because it has a slight learning curve and it's your traditional style. Tank controls aren't bad if I can play them just fine in Silent Hill 1-3 and every Resident Evil before 6. Some people just have to take the time to get used to something different.
Yeah, and theorically even the FPS that everyone love so much have Tank control: you go forward, backward and turn left and right lol the difference is that you can set the speed of moving/ turning; myabe will be good a old-school RE with custom settings lol (and maybe with a auto aim in old visuals and manual aim in re4 style? Autoaim will be good for too close enemy when you use shotgun, for example xD) And take out those shit melees with stamina bar; bring back RE3 dodge style!

Last edited by Lord M,

JustAKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope that this game will offer the same state of panic featured in the other titles, Resident Evil 4 most notably. Like that part where you're in a dark sewer and you have to wait for atleast 4 minutes iirc for an elevator to power up, while the Verdugo (some Xenomorph looking creature) chases you around and tries to rip your heart out.

Last edited by JustAKirby,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it won't make it better or worse